1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Availability of Z1

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by Vrais Le faux, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Vrais Le faux

Vrais Le faux Forum Member

Hi all,
    It would seem that you lucky ducks have managed to buy a Z1.
    We at the bum end of the world in Australia are being told mid August or later as the possible date of arrival.
    You may be surprised to find out tat we actually have electricity in Australia and had it for at least 5 years by now.
    Anyone has any idea why are we left to be the last ones on earth to be graced with the gizmo?
    Anyone from OZ DJ suppliers here has the answer?
    Now I must run and refill my kerosene powered modem...

2. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

I work at a store in Australia and have been talking to the local importers and also directly with NI about this. Trust me that the frustration you feel is multiplied by every customer that asks about the product!

Unfortunately our stock is distributed via Hong Kong, and due to shipping time (sea) it's taken longer than expected. I have however been told that it should hit port this week ...

3. Vrais Le faux

With all respect I've stopped believing in the transport issues a long time ago.
    With the arrival of Diesel engine over 100 years ago I'd expect a ship to get to our shores from Hong Kong in less than a month. It could of course be lost at sea...

Depending which shop I talk to the stock is coming from Germany, China or as one genius told me Japan!

The other issue is the cost in Australia. When the Z1 was announced the Australian dollar was above parity with the Us and yet Australian shops managed to come up with a magic conversion of Us$199 to AU$276... Magic indeed. I'm sure it's the transport costs. After all having to swim pushing a ship from Hong Kong mus cost a pretty penny.

4. BIT_IFFY

BIT_IFFY Forum Member

The cost thing is simply down to what the importers think they can get away with. Some gear will be really close to the US rrp, such as Moog. Others, such as Akai will try to rinse the **** out of the local population in Australia, check the price diff between Akai MPD in the us n aus. The transport issue is bollocks tho. Australia is closer to China than most of the rest of the western world, and lets face it, 99% of gear is made in China now (maybe a rash generalization as i dont have facts infront of me and cant be arsed to look).

The worst are apple and itunes for rinsing Australians, let the app store know you're in Oz and you get bent over and rogered on the price. (Proxies people, proxies!)

Imma go have a lie down now after that rant:)

5. Vrais Le faux

Well, did you hear about the Australian Government advising people to bypass the country sepcifics in online stores? Very gutsy, good for them!

As to the cost, I've seen invoices for synths and samplers form the supplier to the shop and let me tell you that many music stores (and probably others too) double the price. A famous Melbourne based store does it on all equipment it stocks.
    Then the stories are spun about the importers, the trasport, the blah, blah, blah...
    Greed. We have one of the biggest store markups in the world.

And the fact that any new equipment reaches Oz last, months after it has been released in the real world... enough.

6. Vrais Le faux

frankle,
    As it turns out I am unable to answer PMs. Too new to the forum...
    Must have 20 posts. This would be the 18th.
    Any idea when the Z1 may wash up on out beach?

7. BIT_IFFY

BIT_IFFY Forum Member

Well it seems its in the shops now in Au. Well, thats wot it says on ebay

8. Vrais Le faux

Yes, they have arrived and I managed to pick one up today.
    The box is a touch damp, but smells of the sea. Must be long trip from China.
    So far the iPad is behaving well, apart from occasional display slowdowns, sound OK.

9. frankle

frankle NI Product Owner

Sorry Vrais, haven't had a look at the thread in a few days but yes, we got them in store late last week. Selling very well I might add too!

I know what you're saying about shipping times and stuff, and trust me we've certainly been vocal as a store to both the importer and NI's APAC sales manager in Germany regarding shipping times to Australia. As a result of this they air-shipped a limited number of X1mk2's so that we weren't waiting another month!

Anyhow, great to hear that you've got one, I've been using mine with my iPad Mini and Traktor Pro setup, and am also very pleased with it's performance.

10. Vrais Le faux

Yes, it is working rather well.
    Good!

11. Vrais Le faux

Here's a set I did last Sat.
    TDJ+Z1
    Link