Battery 5?

Discussion in 'BATTERY' started by LoveEnigma, Jun 30, 2021.

1. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

I love Battery 4. I want Battery 5. :D

I am not exactly sure what I wish from it, but a feature improved version that also considers some of things that got missed from Battery 3.

Here's a great video someone has made:

Possible features/improvements off the top of my head and I/we can build upon it as a wishlist as we recall:

1. A full-fledged sequencer (with MIDI Out) [similar to DrumComputer, may not be as advanced]
    2. Ability to save audio outputs as template, so that they don't change upon changing kits (a lot of people have requested this)
    3. Resizable GUI
    4. Kit randomization
    (create random kits with different sounds at a click of a button while replacing kick for a kick, snare for a snare, etc. like in Polyplex)
    5. MIDI song track features similar to EZdrummer 2 / Superior Drummer 3 - nice to have
    6. VST3 (not super-important, but guess it will eventually happen)

Bugs in current version:
    1. Happens when using the plugin version in DAW. Occasionally, mouse clicking on cells generates no sound. Sending MIDI note data does. However, occasionally, I need to play to that MIDI region once and there is no sound until press stop and play to that MIDI region again. It's a weird behaviour that is difficult to explain/reproduce.

2. I am using FL Studio 20.8.3 on Windows 10 latest build and Battery 4 is just way to slow. It becomes unresponsive for some seconds or even minutes on loading new instance or simply trying to open GUI of an existing instance and FL Studio freezes along with it too until it responds after waiting. It is especially noticeable when Battery 4 is part of actual song projects in FL Studio. I am wondering if the problem has anything to do with scanning kits at startup, which I don't think there is a way to disable. But then again, it should not behave that way when only trying to open the plugin GUI. This is indeed a frustrating problem and is probably something to do with Battery 4 only.
    Looks like deleting the database folder and allowing Battery 4 standalone to generate it again fixed this. I hadn't done this ever since I installed Battery 4 years ago, so looks like something got corrupted. Thanks to Jeremy for the suggestion.

Note: Features in bold are important/necessary in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. LoveEnigma

Hi Matt @ NI Hope you are doing well. :) Please pass this to the team. There is still one year for Komplete 14, so hopefully they can get this in. ;)

3. Soundof

Soundof New Member

Pretty sure Komplete 14 will come out in 2-3 months. Perhaps for Komplete 15 next year, but Battery has been forgotten it seems!
    I am not using it anymore due to lack of development. Would have been nice if it had a built in sequencer and the other things you mentioned, I also made this request, but not expecting much. At the moment, I am using Algonaut Atlas v2, has a built in sequencer, randomiser for new kits/sequences, what Battery is missing.

4. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

That's a pretty optimistic timeline you have here ;)
    We don't really release Komplete bundles every year and K13 was released last fall.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

Sorry I missed that one but notes taken :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soundof

Soundof New Member

Wow, I stand corrected, I genuinely thought it's a yearly release, I blame Covid for the confusion :p.

7. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

Battery could indeed use a few tricks from Polyplex, e.g. a sample trigger offset that could be modulated. And when it come to layering samples, the GUX could be improved. Fixing the RR group bug, that happened between v3 & 4, would also be great.

Not sure about a built-in step sequencer, there is Maschine - most major DAWs have step sequencing and pattern arrangement tools, some even with probability & randomness, so why add something, that's already available in multiple instances? There aren't that many deeply programable drum sample players, so I'd rather see something that would improve sample organisation (browser) and playback (trigger programmability) and maybe even improve the sound design capabilitiy by offering a grain cloud module.

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Sample start is one of the mod targets though?

9. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

That's sample start offset - I meant a trigger offset for layered sounds, e.g. a clap and a snare with an lfo slightly delaying one or both triggers to constantly create a different sound. Like in real life - no drummer and percussionist are hitting at the exact same time. Though I can already do this with midi modifiers in Cubase, it would be nice to have such a feature directly in Battery.

But I think, I was wrong, Polyplex seems to have also just a sample start offset. I must have mixed it up with Drum Lab. There the kick, snare & toms have a trigger offset for their second layer. I would like to have that as a general programming tool in Battery.

10. Jon Watte

Jon Watte NI Product Owner

Add 10 ms of silence at the start of the sample. Use a random start offset of 0-10 milliseconds. "automatic offset" solved!

11. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...yup - and do that every time you layer samples and program beats, great idea! You might want read again, what I wrote. It's not an unsolvable problem, e.g, as I wrote, you can do random trigger offsets in Cubase - in fact, even with a bipolar range, which, pretty sure, can't be done inside Battery, But I suppose, this thread is about what could be done to improve Battery, which is actually a pretty sopisticated drum player, even more, and not about tedious workarounds. ;)

12. Jon Watte

Jon Watte NI Product Owner

Look, if you stand on one leg, and point at your nose with your left index finger, the system will TOTALLY NOT CRASH. Thus, you should always be doing that when using the system. Problem solved!

13. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...always grateful for constructive suggestions - if appropriate...

14. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

what have you used to replace Battery for your drum sequencing? I really love battery, but the default template thing that changes between kits is almost like a make or break situation for me. Every time i add a new row, i have to manually map it to a note as well when i'm sure developers could've gave you an option to make a default key mapping for added rows. This is where they definitely screwed the pooch. I know you can't get everything, but cmon.....i was really starting to feel like it with battery 4.

15. chris_purusha

chris_purusha New Member

Yeah - battery is probably my most used NI plug-in. It's getting ready for a refresh though.

I'm hoping for an update in the next Komplete. An update might even get me to update this time around.

16. LoveEnigma

Bump, added potential bug #2

17. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

hoping i can open my custom kits when using battery 4 within komplete kontrol in the near future.

18. lgpro815

lgpro815 New Member

Something I would really like in Battery 5 would be able to drag samples from the Battery browser and drag them straight into my DAW

• Like Like x 2
  19. db3

db3 New Member

Scalable, hi-dpi graphics and better expansion selection as a minimum. Wonder whether it would be possible to update Maschine hardware firmware to integrate with Battery. I use Battery more than Maschine in DAW.

• Like Like x 1