1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Beatgrids for dummies?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by jipperz, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npherno

npherno New Member

Huh..

Which version of Scratch are you using? I have Studio and Scratch, but the latest versions. Are you using the keylock?

If I use the keylock, with beatgrids and 1200's the bpms fluctuate (which make it go out of sync).

If I use the same music mixed internally, it doesn't happen. Actually the pitch never fluctuates internally. Does your pitch fluctuate on a given track?
    ---
    Ya know, it probably IS my grids. A little error goes a long way... Nevermind.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  2. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

npherno, please let the support know this!

3. npherno

npherno New Member

I'll work on isolating the problem with some regridded tracks internally, and then I'll try with the vinyl.

4. Yashagoro

Yashagoro Forum Member

I have a question: why do we need to beatgrid songs when using TS, if all the mix is done with the CDJs or TTs?

5. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

you don't NEED to do anything

some people like having an accurate bpm reading, for instance

with an accurate bpm reading, the effects will be sync'd appropriately...

...and speaking of SYNC...well...you know

...and you can still use midi in ts.

6. heydj

heydj Forum Member

You know, I purchased the Traktor Tutorial DVD and have watched the Beat Grid chapter a thousand times, but that was the best explanation of beat gridding I have seen! Good Job Frequencym!

7. Thomas @ NI

Thomas @ NI Administrator NI Team

Hi everybody, please keep it civil. I had to delete some posts that were nothing but name calling, and it would be good if this thread would now go back to a constructive discussion.

@ heydj - I moved your question regarding the MIDI control here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66671

8. heydj

heydj Forum Member

Thanks, Thomas, but I already posted it there after being slaughtered by Chilly. :0

with love Hey DJ!

9. petetaylor1973

petetaylor1973 Forum Member

no, make that three :) no use for me at all

10. heydj

heydj Forum Member

Is anyone else able to set their beatgrid the right way the first time? It seems that when I am setting my beatgrids, then checking them, I don't have to make any adjustments. Maybe I am lucky and getting them right the first time, but it just seems too easy. I check the grid about half way through the song, then again at the end, and the tick is always on cue. Every now and then I'll have to make adjustments, but could somebody please answer this post? I just want to be sure I'm doing it right. After setting the grids, when mixing, everything sounds fine, so I have probably already answered my own question. And sorry if this post is in the wrong subforum, if it is, let me know, and I'll repost. Thanks-

11. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

Traktor is fairly good at detecting bpm accurately. Typically I find myself manually adjusting a track only if it's got a long string/synth/vocal intro or if it's live instrumentation, like heavy metal or an irish reel. I still tap the tempo button + once then - once, just so it reads 100%.

Oh also my drum n bass tracks are detected at 80-90 bpm, so I have to hit the x2 to actually get tempo correct.

12. NitrogenNarcosis

NitrogenNarcosis Forum Member

This is all very good stuff, and reading info on the web is great and all....but does NI have a live person I can speak with about technical issues?

13. Thomas @ NI

Thomas @ NI Administrator NI Team

Sure, you can call tech support at the numbers listed here: http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=contactinfo

14. DJ Freshfluke

@ heydj: depends on the music you play! ;) but even with my hiphop tracks, traktor has become very accurate in detecting the tempo.

15. NitrogenNarcosis

NitrogenNarcosis Forum Member

Thanks Thomas, I appreciate the info, but am I going to be turned away if I need a few answers to "General Questions"?

16. Milen506

Milen506 New Member

I have a question but didn't read through the entire thread, since it is more about how to beat grid, my question is this: in a track, I set the grid just right without any drift for about 4/5 of the track, then there is a silence and the track goes on with a beat but the grid doesn't fall on the beats. How can I fix this, if I set the grid before the silence then the grid is wrong after the silence, but if I set the bpm so the grid is right after the silence, then it is wrong before that silence. What to do?

And just a little side question, how long do you spend on gridding a track? In my case, I spend anywhere between 30 sec if Traktor is on it and a couple of minutes (sometimes more) if the detected value presents quite some drift near the end of the track.

17. DJ Freshfluke

you can try to set a new beatmarker on the downbeat of the track after the silence. if you're lucky, the tempo is the same as before. the beatmarker restarts only the phase! so if the track has a different tempo before than after the silence, you're kinda lost here, since traktor does not support multiple tempi in a track.
    find a workaround in chapter 20.4 of your T33 manual!

18. Yashagoro

Yashagoro Forum Member

Hey. I have a question. I was trying to beatgrid some tracks. What happens is, the grid is set perfectly throughout the song but in the BPM section it says the BPM is about 69% or a value bellow 100%. How can I improve my beatgriding? I've used the tick function and it stays on time as well. When I loop, while having two songs overlay, for instance, if I set a loop of 8, in every 16 beats I have to adjust it by bending with my CDJ. Any help?

19. Bas1

Bas1 Forum Member

maybe a dumb question, but here we go :
    What is the advantage of beatgridding in traktor scratch?
    TT's will always drift (because of its engine) even if the tracks are gridded right, so what is the point? just to make sure the looping is tight?
    I can totally see the advantage with traktor, working with midi and all opens new perspective's.

20. Macaque

Macaque New Member

In Traktor Scratch, the phase meters will not be 100% accurate until the grids are set properly. The beatmasher and other tempo-synced effects won't always work either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.