best headphones for production and mixing

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by de wouzer, Dec 8, 2013.

1. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

My neighbour doesn't like my beats. I want to make more use of my headphones. But my Sennheiser HD 25-1 is not very good for production and for my ears. Anyone an idea about real good headphones? It's my plan to spend max 500 euro, but if it's necessary (I don't expect so) I can spend more.

2. Harsh

Harsh NI Product Owner

I like my DT 770 PRO, but I always wonder if it is better to use the headphones that many people use to listen to music? For example: Beats, iPod headphones, etc?

3. de wouzer

i understand your point, but these closed kind of headphones like beats damage my ears and make me want to stop making music because of the pressure of the sound.

(Harsh, from harsh and pamb?)

• Like Like x 1
  4. MoodyAuthentic

MoodyAuthentic Forum Member

5. ashs_au

ashs_au Forum Member

I would go with semi-open like DT990 for the studio - like the 770s but maybe a little more 'air'. Beyers are far more comfortable than many other brands.

but then there's nothing more subjective than a thread about headphones!

6. TraumaBeatsDrama

TraumaBeatsDrama NI Product Owner

been using krk 8400. love them. pretty flat, the sound transfers to cars and systems well.

people i know stand by the cheaper krk 6400 headphones too.

you have to watch ear fatigue and volume though. they mess up my mix 99% of the time lol

EDIT: disclaimer, i don't own anything else KRK. I bought them because i heard the headphones are actually better than the hyped up monitors. ;)

7. Beautiful Beast

Beautiful Beast Forum Member

Audio Technica ATH-M50.

BB

8. de wouzer

anyone experience with this one?

Sennheiser HD 650

9. themixtape

themixtape NI Product Owner

I hate 7506s... not comfortable at all, especially for longer sessions. Horrible for mixing.

For basic, cheap (but good) headphones... Sennheiser HD202II. Best value. Good bass, nice sound (especially for making beats).

Comfort and flat response: BD DT 770s... I have the 250 ohm and I LOVE them. INSANELY comfortable.

Not a fan of Sennheiser HD280s... top headband kind of hurts after a while... absolutely flat response.... not really good for beats.

10. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

I use the 770's too...go for the 250ohms, best sound and most headphone amps can drive them...and youll have plenty of change left.

Been trying out some of the studio in headphones software and settled with focusrites VRM for late night fun :)

11. Falls A Star

Falls A Star Forum Member

I actually prefer Sennheiser in-ear monitors, though I switched out the rubber sleeves with some from crappy Koss earbuds because those fit my ears better. I know they're not for everyone, though.

As for more traditional headphones, right now I have Skullcandy Hesh 2. They're not terrible, considering.

(I can't stand Beats though. They sound like everything does right after you go swimming.)

12. loscolorados

loscolorados Forum Member

13. LowPass

LowPass NI Product Owner

I have some AKG 701's and they are great. they have a very clinical precise sound I only use them for mix downs or sound design though and prefer my senheiser earbuds when jamming and writing stuff.

14. demoniqus

demoniqus NI Product Owner

Definitely a good choice.
    I tried them prior to purchasing the bigger brother HD 800
    very good frequency response over the whole range. A little to get used to the extremes (lowest bass and highest top) due to the semi open construction.
    Another good choice i use between the DT 770,ATH M 50,SHR 840 and the HD800 is the AKG K601.
    K601 is very comfortable on the head and soft pressure on your ears so it can stay on for many hours.
    The "downside" (not really a good word) is that the top end seems to roll off and won't give that superbright perception.. more like there's a hint somethings up there.
    ATH M50 and SHR 840 are closed ones and gives a more solid perception over the whole range but are a bit tiresome on the ears for longer sessions.
    A closed headphone i would recommend any time is the newer SHR 940.. a bit magical top end and very good overall.. but i tend to use only my open ones while mixing and only go for the closed one's as a second opinion when discerning lowest bass
    (I'm not using headphones only while mixing so all those headphones are you only complimentary equipment.)

Hope you find what you need.. there's so much to choose from.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  15. MoodyAuthentic

MoodyAuthentic Forum Member

If your mix sounds like dookie in 7506s, its because your mix is dookie.

16. Old_School

Old_School NI Product Owner

AKG K240 MKII. You want at least semi-open headphones (unless you are tracking live).

17. Kaydigi

Kaydigi NI Product Owner

School me please, why do you need them semi-open?

18. Miraculous

Miraculous NI Product Owner

Sennheiser HD650 here....would not trade them for anything else.

19. FredB7

FredB7 NI Product Owner

250ohms DT990 and DT770.
    If one of those break or get lost I'll buy a new one immediately.

20. GearN00b

GearN00b NI Product Owner

I use these. They're great.