best headphones for production and mixing

Discussion in 'General Production Forum' started by de wouzer, Dec 8, 2013.

1. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

A few other options are

https://goodhertz.co/canopener-studio
    http://www.waves.com/plugins/nx#introducing-nx-virtual-mix-room

Or if you don't want to pay for a plugin - a do it yourself method.
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/413900/how-to-equalize-your-headphones-a-tutorial

I have not tried any of them so cannot comment on results, Just sharing, Hopefully someone finds it useful.

2. bluemoon151

bluemoon151 NI Product Owner

Sonarworks have a small number of headphones supported, you can also send yours,
    i've tried it and it sounds good, really flat but the stereo image bother me.
    Haven't tried the other two but i have heard good things about NX,
    tough i'm sure the best thing to do is learn how your stuff sound !

3. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

what about wireless headphones, what do you guys recommend?

4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I would also say audio technica is good I also have one of those and for me they are great. But as mentioned you will need time to get used to it.

Uwe

5. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  6. charlesjohny8

charlesjohny8 New Member

7. beepmine

beepmine New Member

for mixing, would definitely recommend sony's mdr-7506s or the beyerdynamic 880s (tho pro is probably unnecessary) and with either of those you're not going to break the bank and they will last.

8. Crumb

Crumb NI Product Owner

Thanks for this thread. I've been using my Senheiser hd25's and I have to stop after thirty minutes cos my ears start hurting. If I'm using them with my synth I start feeling sick. Think I'm gonna get the BD 880's.

9. jefflive423

jefflive423 New Member

I went on this adventure recently, with everyone recommending this or that online with no real backing of why. Here's what I learned and what I ended up getting:

Don't screw up and get open-back headphones. People will recommend those because they don't have the built up pressure inside the ear cups, but the problem is you're allowing a lot of sound to escape. So if you're just mixing, that's one thing, but if you want these to pull double duty while recording then you want them to isolate that sound or it bleeds into your microphone. You want closed-back headphones. No point in not having one pair that can do it all.

Also, when it comes to mixing you want a flat frequency response, but with small woofers it gets harder and harder to get flatter and flatter. That's not to say they don't get as close as any decent monitors, because they do. But headphones start rising in price astronomically because the research and development that it takes to eek out that next little gain in making the freq response flatter gets more and more expensive. And guess who has to pay for that? You do. So if you pass the "best value for your dollar" part of the hockey stick curve, you end up paying a lot more for a lot less. It's diminishing returns.

I read a ton of sites but finally found one from a reputable company that pointed all of this out. They gave a lot of recommendations but if you're like most of us, the idea of dropping several hundred on one set of headphones is absurd, especially if you're referencing your mixes on monitors already. But their discovery was that the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's were the best value where you're getting the flattest frequency response for the right price. What also I liked was the impedance wasn't so stupid that I needed a headphone amp. My iPhone can powers it fine and I end up listening while I vacuum and cook too.

So yeah, don't get sucked into the audiophile nonsense of open-back headphones and special headphone amps with exposed vacuum tubes and gold foil monster cables and all that crap. The main thing is to look at the frequency response curves which are usually listed on the manufacturer websites. Then compare it to the price and you'll see where there's marketing games and tricks being played. There are consumer headphones and professional ones. The pro ones don't play those games. They focus on the technical details, as you should be doing too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sowan Song

Sowan Song New Member

I wouldn't recommend M50x at all but the rest are better options considering the feature and the specs.

11. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

It's an old thread but for what reasons would you not recommend? Features/specs on paper don't translate to making one pair better than another. Comes down to actually hearing them and wearing them for long periods...

For instance I have the following:

- AKG K240
    - AKG K712
    - KRK 8400
    - Sennheiser HD280 Pro
    - Audio Technica ATHM50x
    - Sony MDR7506

Now this is just my own experience and I have used the AKG K240 for the longest and "updated" to the K712 years ago but personally prefered the K240 just because i'd used them for over 10 years.

The ATHM50x out of all of the ones above is one of my new faves because of quality feel, sound and comfort. I actually really like the sound of these tho they seem to have a bit more Bass than I have been use to hearing in the AKG series (due to being open backed). The AKG are some of the most comfortable pairs I have used with the KRK taking the prize for the least comfortable after a few hours

A lot of people love the HD280 and they are nice but build quality wise they are cheap (IMO), all plastic with what feels like an afterthought band aid for the head cushion and I know from my Sony headphones that style of thin vinyl padding deteriorated quickly. Comparing them with the M50x they look and feel very cheap and if you took the name off them, they would appear as pretty cheap headphones. Sound wise they are nice but they aren't as comfortable as others and sound a bit lite.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dj cinéfilo

dj cinéfilo New Member

wasshr sups. you did just have beats is good, what if dr. dre is product oriented and he did am those..
    i guess am to have 5 pair of headphones is decent to for being a real deal dj !

13. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I also love my audio technika headphones, but to have different ones is also nice to have and check the mix, same for speakers, like the old "listen to it in the car" trick.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  14. nightjar

nightjar NI Product Owner

I disagree strongly.. Audio Technica M50x are an excellent choice, perhaps the best all around choice there is for most people

• Like Like x 1
  15. xavifernandez

xavifernandez New Member

I am personally using Logitech G430 and Mixcder E9 headset for production and mixing. Do give one of these a try because they are very budget friendly headsets.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

I like for building Reaktor ensembles linear Sennheiser HD 100 without bass boost since Philips stops their headphone production.