1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Boom Bap Discussion: Super Loose timing

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Upright, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Rymf

Rymf NI Product Owner

if you're a young resident of Moscow, like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mr_hVEkf_I"]Cut2kill (Mujuice +Dzhem) - Live in СолÑ￾нка - YouTube[/ame]

Here are the same guys also playing at least one "real" instrument if it makes you feel any better/worse:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXrZovFdEqI"]mujuice_and_dzhem_live - YouTube[/ame]

2. alien_brain

alien_brain Account Suspended

hmm. not feelin it.

3. Rymf

Rymf NI Product Owner

To be perfectly honest I don't think the majority of what they played in those two videos was that great either. They're from 2008 & 2007, respectively. I was just looking for something with DZA live where you could see the audience (at least occasionally) and saw the one with mujuice playing guitar showed up randomly in the related videos.

DZA's last LP Five-Finger Discount is worth a listen (for people who are reading this thread because they like or might like things about the topic being discussed), and there are some tracks from the Supershark EP this year that I liked. Apple Joo is especially good (and has more joystick drums, for whoever enjoyed that.)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. Rymf

Rymf NI Product Owner

You're absolutely right, Malisa. Do need to be harsh. Do need to be harsh, indeed.

5. Upright

Upright NI Product Owner

Yeah some of the stuff on the Five-Finger Discount joint is dope. These guys are obviously just trying to be themselves and run in their own lane or at least that's what I'm seeing. It appears that they've got roots in Hip Hop, Electronica, a bit of Rock and who knows what else....plus I can only imagine the influence that the Russian music scene contributes to their sound.

6. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

@alien_brain, please think before you post :|

your first two posts on this thread are imho can be argued as being provocative. don't for get you have already had your account suspended.

i will be looking at your posts very carefully and if you step over the line i will use the new Infraction System where users are put in what i would call a Sin-Bin and their account is suspended for 1, 2, or 3 days.

so please think before you post!

sowari

7. alien_brain

alien_brain Account Suspended

kiss my ass you pathetic loser! i dont need you or your piece of **** forum full of self important idiots who think theyre different and special! you can keep them all 'safe to dance' for all i care. what is there to do here anyway? its not like youll act on my suggestions or implement **** that i bring up. youll just as soon put my suggestions down just cause youre mad. you need one of your forum regulars to show you the logic. youre a fucking idiot just like that teutonist guy said.

8. sowari

Infraction System alien_brain

alien_brain has just been red carded for 3 days, using the Infraction System.

sowari

9. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

+1000
    ;)

The problem seems to be they are trying to be off beat more so than musical.
    You can't lose sight of the musical vibe or theory of how to play a loose groove but keep it in the pocket.
    There's nothing worse than listening to something that feels or sounds so clumsy it makes your brain stumble.
    Dilla definitely did an excellent job of displacing his notes without killing the groove.
    ---
    I would say it more like they don't have roots in those genre and have stood totally on the outside thus the somewhat incoherent interpretation.
    I would also think the cultural difference is playing a major role as well.

There's nothing wrong with being experimental but some form of structure tends to help when you are someone listening who is not in a drug induced state. :)

10. xCentric

xCentric Forum Member

He doesn't need it, but he goes out of the way to Troll here almost every day. lol

11. Rymf

Rymf NI Product Owner

Well, now every three days.

12. Upright

Upright NI Product Owner

Definitely...I completely agree. I started this thread because I love the flavor that playing slightly displaced notes brings to the groove when done correctly. I'm current working on something with more of a loose feel but definitely keeping it locked in a groove. I'll have to post it here once I'm done and you guys can drop some feedback and let me know if it works or not.

13. sowari

14. Cloudy

Cloudy Forum Member

That the beat post definitely sounds like no quantization, just practice your rhythms by hand without relying on the metronome or quantize.

For a slightly loose sound I like to loosely chop the hits of a break ie the 4 diff hi hat sounds all start a little sooner or later same with the kicks and snares, then when you put it together even if its quantized you can get the late snare feeling but its abit more consistent and in time.

15. Upright

Upright NI Product Owner

Edited: gonna make some adjustments then repost the track.

16. Thomas @ NI

Thomas @ NI Administrator NI Team

Don't let the door hit you...

17. Two Soldiers

Two Soldiers Forum Member

I'm really enjoying this thread Upright (as well as the posts from Rymf and the blog link from Sowari) :)

Re: the track - at the moment I really like it but the early snare that hits a lot of the beat fours is stressing me out. It's hard to say if this is hang up of mine from years of struggling to play things in time but like I said it makes me tense and I think the track would be a bit more "normal" but closer to sublime if that snare sat back a bit. Could just be personal taste too, who knows? I'll listen a few more times over a few days and get back to you if getting more familiar with it changes my thinking.

18. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

also play with velocity as that impacts the feel of the note

19. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

"I think Maschine is a really great tool for producers who want to throw their MPCs in the garbage." - Flying Lotus

20. QueMusiQ

QueMusiQ NI Product Owner

I've been to low end once, NoCan kept telling me about it. Got into a mosh pit with Odd Future and almost lost my fav Niners hat. I was PISSED, but it was fun. Mostly I hear dubstep there.

I've picked Dibia$e's brain repeatedly before i ever made a beat because the topic was interesting. Yeah, an MPC will do NOTHING FOR YOU so anyone who says you have to have one to make a Dilla type slump beat is not aware or just lying. Dill might not even use a mp if he were still here. Dibiase stopped using his, and he has a Maschine and an SP 404 now.

Just stop relying on quantization and start practicing a slump cadence. Personally, I quantize my kick and main snare because having that not on beat annoys the crap outta me.

But once I get the basic kick and snare pattern, I turn off quantization and go ham with adding more snares on top of the main one. I create the swing using a natural feel with my drum rolls, shakers, HH, and oftentimes - congas or Djembes for flavor. Panning helps to. That's where my swing resides.

But I use max velocity and quantization on my main kick and my main snare. That gives my beats the necessary structure. Keep in mind: even if you throw the swing on real hard, SOMETHING is gonna still hit on beat. Slump does NOT = everything off beat. Music theory does not allow for that, nor should your body's natural timing. Give the crowd SOME predictability so they can nod their head in unison.
    ---
    Sowari: I think alien should be allowed to not like a song someone posts without repercussion. What's wrong with asking "how do you dance to that?" it's a legit question when asking about timing.