1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Bug Bug: Maschine+ crashes when browsing user samples

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by N8-R, Nov 22, 2020.

1. N8-R

N8-R NI Product Owner

Operating System: n/a

Maschine Version: Maschine+ 1.2.14

Controller Model: Maschine+

Controller Firmware version: 1.2.14

Bug description:
    Using knob 4 to scroll through banks (folders) of User samples will cause Maschine+ to freeze and eventually crash. Happens at random (no specific bank or folder) but pretty much 100% of the time when browsing through user banks. I am using the original SD card and it still has plenty of space left (around 40GB).

List of exact steps to produce the bug:
    - press the browse button
    - use the top buttons to get to “one shots”
    - select the top user button to browse user samples
    - use the first three knobs to dive into the user bank
    - use the fourth knob to scroll through user sub banks

Observed Results:
    slow, choppy performance
    Random freezes and crashes

Expected Results:
    straightforward, smooth browsing
    No crashes

Reproducibility:
    99% of the time

2. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

Cache cache cache, filesystem io, bad memory handling. Crash. Boom.

sloppy programming. Or bad drivers.

3. oldyella

oldyella New Member

I've had this problem as well. I found the cause (for me anyway). If I had a "character" or "type" selected anywhere in the user samples this would happen. By deselecting any types or characters in the results allowed for smooth scrolling. Definitely not ideal as I can no longer use tags for finding samples.

4. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

ouch, good you found a work-around, although less than ideal. This is so very recognisable btw.

This reeks very much like a memory-pointer or a type mismatch issue. Again, sloppy programming.

5. oli@bass

oli@bass NI Product Owner

Works fine for me.
    Among over 10'000 samples in my user folder, I have 5 sample packs with 8012 samples by Twisted Tools, which are in banks and sub-banks and categorised with types and characters. No problem with the browser at all. It's super fast, even if I filter them with the type/characters tags.

Maybe you have samples in a bad format or corrupt files in there somewhere? I was able to crash M+ during browsing once when I had a file in my user folder that was in an unreadable format. Unfortunately I forgot what it was... maybe an MP3.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. N8-R

N8-R NI Product Owner

I mean, i have the same exact files in my MPC One and it works fine. I’d have to do a deep dive and see if there are any other file types that could cause the crash. There goes a whole afternoon.

On a related note is there anywhere I could find more info on proper file and folder structure in M+, including organizing and tagging? The manual has very minimal info on this (ie “just drop your samples into this folder and voila”) and other things I’ve found online are more geared towards the MK3 / MK2 / not standalone.

7. oli@bass

Yeah tedious, but you can try to find the offending file(s) pretty fast if you:
    - remove half of your user samples (move them to a different directory outside of the Native Instruments folder)
    - rescan library
    - check whether the problem still is there
    - if yes, again remove half of the remaining files and check whether the problems persist
    - rescan library
    - if not, remove the current half and add the previously removed half
    - rescan library
    - repeat as often as necessary to isolate the location of the bad file(s)

Unfortunately the manual provides very little information on that subject. The online knowledge base doesn't offer a lot more either. Most knowledge is currently probably found here on the forum, coming from hours of experimentation. The general information for Maschine applies for M+ as well, and you have to do your tagging in the Maschine software anyway.

I organized mine as follows:
    /Native Instruments/User Content/<Vendor Name>/<Product Name>/<Content Folder>/<Content Folder>

• Like Like x 2
  8. oli@bass

BTW, I found this in the manual:
    Maybe you have REX file somewhere. There's an NI Maschine Expansion Prismatic Bliss which is considered incompatible with M+ because it consists of REX files. (https://www.native-instruments.com/...-expansion-compatibility.426205/#post-1994073)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jeremy @ NI

Jeremy @ NI Support Team NI Team

Hey N8-R,
    It is a known bug and is currently being looked into by the Maschine + team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. N8-R

N8-R NI Product Owner

I'll try this out. Thanks for the info.

Am I able to relink samples in any of my projects once I've moved / rearranged my user files?

11. oli@bass

As long as you put them back in the same location after weeding through them, you shouldn't need to do anything else.
    However, I do not speak out of experience here, just assuming.

What I've experienced so far is that unlike the Maschine software, the M+ is unable to reconnect the samples, if it doesn't find them at the expected location.

Could you please explain a bit what we could do in order to avoid hitting the bug?

12. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

I hope this will also be fixed in the Maschine software for PC and Mac. Browsing is nearly impossible whenever anything is selected under 'Character'.

13. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

no issue at all on my Maschine. I have the latest Maschine version running on my Mac, browsing is super smooth, with or without "character" entries selected.

14. N8-R

N8-R NI Product Owner

Yeah I moved things around to a different location based on your previous post (thanks, BTW, a lot better organized this way) and had two drum loops I had sliced up that were missing from two projects. No easy way to relink them so I just redid those loops. They were simple, barebones projects so was easy enough to redo it but still, could be a real vibe kill for fuller, more complex projects. NI needs to work on this.

Also, yes, it would be nice to know how specifically how to avoid this. For what it's worth, I spent some time digging through all my sample folders and did find a number of files that were not just AIF or WAV. Deleted them all. Haven't had a crash since, though changing banks can still be a little slow. Once I'm in a particular bank browsing for the specific samples goes at a decent speed. At least one step in the right direction.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. oli@bass

Actually, there is a way as I just found out!

If samples are missing, the M+ will inform about it. Then after loading is finished, just select the pad with the missing sample, switch to plugin-in view and select the sampler plugin (if not already selected). On the right screen, the name of the sample is shown in the coloured header. There will be an exclamation mark before the name of the missing sample. There’s also a small magnifying glass symbol for button 8. If you the hit button 8, M+ will show a list of names matching that of the missing sample. You can then select the proper sample to replace the missing one, preserving all parameter settings.
    This has to be repeated for each missing sample... tedious, but better than rebuilding the sound slot from scratch.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2