Bypassing Maschine's sequencer

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Lotuz, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

I'm using Maschine as a VSTi in Cubase. I'd like to be able to sequence Maschine's sounds with Cubase instead of using Maschine's own sequencer. I'm trying to figure out how to set this up. When I create a MIDI track in Cubase with Maschine as MIDI out and play some notes, it plays the selected sound at various pitches as if Maschine is in Keyboard mode. But what I would like is to lay out the samples across the keyboard. For example a kick on C1, a snare on D1, a hi-hat on E1, a piano on C3 to C5, etc. This can be done by loading various samples into one sound (see attached image), but then I can't seem to give each sample (or should I say zone?) its own amplitude envelope, filter, output, etc. Am I overlooking something or is this indeed not possible?

Attached Files:

2. Sarrova-Q

Sarrova-Q Forum Member

I'm afraid that it isn't possible. This is without a doubt one of the most irritating problems with maschine, you can't sequence maschine from your host. You have to make your patterns in the maschine sequencer and then send a trigger from your host to trigger the patterns.

NI omits a lot of maschines potential this way.

I have no problem with sequencing the main base of the song with the maschine sequencer itself but I wish maschine had a 'send pattern to track' function like reason has.

(read my feature requests thread http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80557)

3. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

The timing is also slightly tighter when you sequence all VSTi's with one sequencer. You can check this by loading the same sound in for example Battery and Maschine, pan it hard left in Battery and hard right in Maschine, create a pattern on a MIDI track with Battery as output and the same pattern in Maschine, and play these patterns at the same time. Now replace the pattern in Maschine with the same pattern on a MIDI track with Maschine as output and again run this together with the pattern with Battery as output. Now the timing is perfect.

4. dj_huck

dj_huck NI Product Owner

good thing i was not an early adopter on this one! i would be pissed right now

although it is not surprising. ni never lets you get the midi notes out of their plugs.

5. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Why? We've stressed that from the beginning.
    What do you call Kore 2? Reaktor?

ew

6. jbone1313

jbone1313 Forum Member

If you're not a forum-douche like us, then you might have missed that, and hence, you might be pissed. :)

Yeah, that's so not the case.

7. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

I'm not pissed. I'm sure I'll enjoy making beats with Maschine. Especially when the 1.0.2 update is installed and when I have studied the reference manual. But if NI looks to its competition and to its own products (Battery and Kontakt for example), then I hope they'll develope Maschine into an even more impressive product than it is now.

8. dj_huck

dj_huck NI Product Owner

fm 8? you can use the arp to an external output?

9. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

You said never. I gave two examples where you can.

ew

10. dj_huck

dj_huck NI Product Owner

you are right you can get the notes out of some synths but not others. i was just being grumpy. sorta being trollish i guess.sorry.
    is is frustrating that ni stuff always is always awesome but it has this or that problem. i guess that they are trying to do something different, but it seems like the execution is always a little off

11. DJ DiscoPimp

DJ DiscoPimp NI Product Owner

this is the only reason why i will cancel my order tomorrow which i placed pretty much the same day i saw the videos. i would have never thought that NI had made the silly decision to remove one of the most basic features of any sound-module.

and to be fair ew ... you've indeed stressed this here in the forums, but this is not eveident from the NI website. also, i think i'm not the only one having been more than confused by the variety of answers and speculations about this in the 'lowdown' thread.

.. feel a bit sad not to get Maschine soon, was looking forward to the pads, but without full midi and host integration this thing will force me to completely change my workflow, both live and in the studio which for me is unacceptable at this point.

i really hope NI will see the light on that issue and release a future update with proper/normal midi in/out and host automation in which case i'll re-order immediately ...

12. 1$Tplates

1$Tplates New Member

honestly, I'm not thrilled about it myself dude - I love to play stuff into logic. And I was REALLY PISSED when I got it and couldn't do this. But surprisingly - VERY SURPISINGLY. I started messing with the damn thing and I FRIKIN LOOOOOVE the sequencer in maschine. They could have at least added a way of spitting out the midi to your host though. I own Motu's mach 5 And If the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, I imagine this can easily be done in Motu's BPM. Im still tweakin and trying to find a way to do it, but I doubt it can be done via the pags, If anything, I was thinking maybe there's a way to keymap kits and then use a keyboard to sequence! Unfortunately, when ever I hit the keyboard option, it keymaps the selected sound - frown - There's gotta be a way. I couda sworn I saw some dude in a demo on youtube keymapping a kit and playing with a keyboard. Anyone know if this is possible?

13. jbone1313

jbone1313 Forum Member

I think you can only keymap a sound, not a whole kit.

14. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

Keymapping isn't the problem. The problem is that you can't give each zone its own amplitude envelope, filter, output, etc.

15. Sarrova-Q

Sarrova-Q Forum Member

I have no problem at all sequencing with maschine itself (it looks like its a good and handy sequencer), but please NI open those MIDI ports! Full midi in - out would make it possible to sequence your patterns in maschine, export them as a midi file and then play them back from your host (I too use Logic) for fast and organized arranging.
    That would be 'Total Integration'.

Indeed, when you make a keymap, maschine handles this as a single sound wich means exactly what Lotuz says. What you do with one sample of the mapped sound will be applied for all the samples (filters, FX, EG, ...).

ps Lotuz:
    It seems this will be better with the official release - software update:
    Thomas@NI in the official update status thread: "Improved MIDI Sync with offset compensation"
    http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80682

16. tbo

tbo New Member

I am using sounds of the 70's. what a pain to figure out anything. How do you take a simple 16th note hihat out of a drum loop

17. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

I'd like to help, but that's hard without hearing the drum loop. :cool:

And I think you should start a new thread for this, because it's a whole different subject.

18. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

yes, this needs to be a new thread.

and what is the Sounds of the 70s that you are talking about?

i just read all of your posts, and this has nothing to do with Maschine.

sowari

19. rokoma

rokoma New Member

This missing functionality is the reason why I'm going to return my maschine, even though I love it. Just renders the whole thing into a useless toy for me....

20. continuous

continuous NI Product Owner

Didn't they already announce that there would be additional midi out functionality added in a free update or am I misunderstanding?

Here is the text from the FAQ on the Maschine info page.

Q: Can I use the MASCHINE sequencer to control other software or hardware instruments?
    A: Not with the current software version, but the necessary MIDI Out feature will be implemented in an upcoming update.

http://www.native-instruments.com/newreleases/#/en/products/producer/maschine/?page=maschinefaq

also there is this thread...

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81087

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.