1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

can't monitor inputs 3/4 on Komplete 6

Discussion in 'NI Audio Interfaces' started by stefansko, Sep 6, 2011.

1. stefansko

stefansko New Member

Hi everybody,

I have the following problem:

When I plug my guitar signal coming from my Pod into inputs 1 and 2 of the Komplete I see the LEDs of the inputs flashing and can monitor the signal with the monitor section switched to 1/2, everything fine.

However, when I plug the same signal to inputs 3/4 and switch the monitor section accordingly to 3/4 I can't hear anything, even though the LEDs of the inputs 3/4 are flashing. Logic also gets a signal on inputs 3-4, but I can't monitor it on the Komplete.

Thanks for your help!

2. kenelias

kenelias New Member

I'm getting the same problem with 3/4.. No audio through the system. I put in a request to Tech Support. If I hear back anything useful I'll post the results. Might be a couple of days according the the email acknowledgement they sent me..

3. smithwessen

smithwessen NI Product Owner

you can monitor 3/4 in your daw no direct monitoring like 1/2.

4. Kit Strong

Kit Strong New Member

Yes, but according to the specs (and even the indicator lights) you should be able to direct monitor 1/2 and/or 3/4. That's definitely my one big complaint at this point as well. I wanted to run my Line6HD500 into 3/4 and be able to direct monitor that while still having 1/2 free for HI-Z or mic inputs.
    I'm hoping this will be a firmware/driver fix.

5. stefansko

stefansko New Member

Firmware Fix

In the meantime I returned my Komplete 6 (also because I was disappointed with the preamps of this unit, but the post I wrote about that never made it through, apparently the people at NI don't want bad reviews of their products..).

At the music store I was told that the monitoring problem could be fixed by a firmware update of the unit. However, I find it hard to accept that one of the main features of a device doesn't work by the time I buy it.

Good luck.

6. smithwessen

smithwessen NI Product Owner

the 1/2 3/4 are for outputs, ie direct outs for the inputs 1/2.

direct monuitoring is only for 1/2 but can be output on 1234

7. Stouthart

Stouthart Forum Member

See section 5.1 of the manual. I think this is what you are looking for.

8. kenelias

kenelias New Member

I cancelled my ticket because I didn't really need to monitor 3/4 directly. But section 5.1 does not really answer the question of direct-monitoring 3/4. When you run this thing you see the signal lights for input 1/2 when you have input to 1/2, and you see the signal lights for input 3/4 when you have input 3/4. You'd think that you'd be able to hear 3/4 by setting the monitor to 3/4. But NO! It doesn't work.. So, someone in one these threads, maybe this one, said there was a firmware fix. Is that true? Has anyone done that?

I love the sound of this device, I don't really need the direct moitoring of 3/4, but I admit it's kind of annoying that the documentation is vague at best, and incomplete and inaccurate at worst.

Has anyone successfully direct-monitored 3/4? Please speak up and share your knowledge!

Ken Elias

9. Lars V

Lars V New Member

Though i haven't used the full features of the KA6 it seems to me that by selecting direct monitor outputs 1-2 and/or 3-4 you would only monitor what goes through the outputs of respect.

If no cables are connected to the monitored outputs, you problably won't be able to hear any sound coming trough them. Even more, input 1/2 are "main" and possibly no sound is routed through 3 and 4 unless 1/2 is also in use (is it?).

It's a long shot - I haven't tested any of this. It's only a suggestion to what could be the case. I understand all this as monitoring the actual outputs, not the inputs (maybe?).

Best regards
    LarsV

10. duffbeerdalvin

duffbeerdalvin New Member

Solution to hear input 3 & 4 audio inputs

HERE IS THE FIX!... FINALLY I FOUND IT! :D

Hi fellow NI fans,

I have had the same issue for ages since i bought the complete audio 6, YOU can monitor inputs 3 & 4 if you have this program:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11333/linein

This runs on mac and I'm not sure if theres a PC version because i own a mac so i didn't check....:(

Run this program and you have options within the program from where you want a "input signal" from, to be monitor at your choice of "output". This is done within the program. I have recently installed it and its super simple and super effective!

You can even monitor your mac's "audio input" which i have read on many mac forums that people are having issues with, this program fixes it!

By the way, this issue from NI komplete audio 6 really annoyed me for ages, BUT i must admit that this product is awesome! and the sound quality is great, considering the price compared to other audio interfaces out there!

DuffBeerDalvin :D

11. technosoul

technosoul New Member

thanks for the LineIn tip! Works like a charm.

I still don't know if Komplete is actually working on my Macbook, the driver
    is still missing in my preferences, after repeated install attempts. But everything seems to be working so far - dj mixer, guitar and machine.

This USB 2.0 / 3.0 issue, has thrown me for a loop

12. phlogiston74

phlogiston74 New Member

hy dufferbeerdalvin

interesting software tip! thanx.

i have a turntable plugged to 3/4 and want to monitor it.
    when i choose Komplete6 for input and output in the LineIn software i still get no sound, when activating pass thru.
    can you help me with that?

cheerz from switzerland.
    dan aka phlogiston74

13. complexcarbohydrate

complexcarbohydrate New Member

This is very disappointing...

The Line In app does indeed work, but the latency is pretty bad - certainly not adequate for my purpose (sequencing external synths from maschine).

I would expect better. I bought the KA6 to replace an ailing RME fireface 400 (outputs intermittent).. That thing can monitor 8 inputs with zero latency, plus you have complete internal mixer capabilities.

Guess I've been spoilt by RME.

C'mon NI lift your game!
    ---
    PS Any gain control for inputs 3/4 or is this something else I am taking for granted after using the RME? (sigh)

14. timbonaut

timbonaut NI Product Owner

there is no such thing like direct monitoring with zero latency for the inputs 3/4, only for the main inputs 1/2. i opened a thread like this one a couple of weeks ago since i wanted to plug in my dj setup in 3/4 and monitor it...take a look...the only thing which really bothers me about this interface... :(

15. kraik

kraik New Member

I find it incredible that I have to download a third party app, as recommended by duffbeerdalvin [LineIn] to be able to monitor my line outputs in channels 3/4! I wish i knew this before i bought it, would have definitely influenced my decision! I can´t believe NI can´t update the drivers! The LineIn app works but the quality doesn´t sound as it should, it´s a short term solution! Come on NI pull your finger out! Listen to your customers!

I route my dj set-up at home as follows:
    Audio10 -> mixer -> mixer-out -> Komplete Audio6 channel input 3/4 -> which is hooked up to my iMac.

If anyone esle knows of a better way of routing than this i´m open for suggestions. I thought it was strange when i couldn´t configure these settings when looking for the opyopn to out-put channels 3/4! Absolutely shocked & disgusted about this!

16. alesuxx

alesuxx New Member

As previous posts stated that you can't direct monitoring input 3/4. You have to set the input monitor via DAW. Yes, there will be latency depends on your ASIO setting.

Direct monitoring is only for output 1/2 and/or 3/4. So what is the possible use of this concept?

Please see the attached image or Click Here to look at the recording setup illustration that I took from NI. I altered the artwork a bit to help you understand the concept.

In above example, the Artist and the Operator should be able to hear of what they're doing. Because KA6 only got 1 headphone out, so we took output 3/4 for the Artist's headphone monitor. Then we activate all KA6's 1/2/3/4 monitor outputs, so the Artist and the Operator able to hear the mic's input 1/2 simultaneously.

I hope it helps :)

Attached Files:

17. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus New Member

I'm sort of in the same boat as you all, except its for a guitar pedal board; I tried to route my guitar into 1, through the DAW and out 1/2, into my FX like an FX loop in amplifiers, and into 3/4 for direct monitoring with the headphones set to 3/4.
    Alas . . .

18. LAWrin

LAWrin NI Product Owner

I have the same problem !

I need connection like this: Mac > KaossPad3 > Komplete Audio6. 1/2 OUT must goes to monitors , 3/4 OUT to KaossPad3 and return to KA6 for recording . But its impossible, no signal from 3/4 !
    NI whats goin ON?
    If someone have any ideas how this can work ,- please help. thanks !

19. alesuxx

alesuxx New Member

I think you just need to setup track(s) output 3/4 within your DAW.

Track 1 or more but not the Master Track to output 3/4 > KaossPad3 > Track 2 (input 1/2 or 3/4) for recording.

How bout that?

20. LAWrin

LAWrin NI Product Owner

Im working mostly with Maschine , when i will connect like you said its means that i always need to open my DAW to hear a FX (Korg KP3) signal , and second problem is that i cant hear signal from turntable when i sampling in Maschine . Its not a best alternate to connection like this, as for audio interface with this amount of outs and ins. But i cant see a best way for the moment ...