:: CD players tested with TRAKTOR Scratch ::

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by DJ Freshfluke, Apr 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

I just said YES
    I used to have MK1's. There is no difference.

2. Real_Blackroom

Real_Blackroom Forum Member

Pioneer MEP-7000 works fine with Traktor Scratch. Even tried to copy the control tracks from the CD to a wav file and put it on an USB memory, works fine too.

3. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

@chilly, how's the scratching when using the CDJ800s?

I tried a colleagues Serato today with CDJ800s and while it replicated the scratches I was doing, there was a delay in the audio output (latency) that would leave you out of sync with the track you were scratching over. :(

Hopefully you don't get the same problem with Traktor?

I've watched plenty of video clips of Serato and Traktor that say there's no latency, but they're always using vinyl.

4. chilly

Doesn't have anything to do with the CD Players...latency has to do with the computer and soundcard.

5. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

Thanks Chilly, very pleased to hear that. So perhaps he's just not configured things correctly on his laptop.

I am right in thinking the Audio 8 DJ interface that comes with Traktor Scratch acts as an external sound card?

MrHali over at the forums for my model of laptop has posted configuration settings, I was just worried that the digital conversion of the timecode signal done when you're scratching on CDJs might have been causing the problem on my friends Serato setup.
    (http://forums.msiwind.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2591)

6. chilly

If you go and look at the products page tab on the top of your screen, you'll get more info about the Audio8 / Traktor Scratch combo.

7. djcbrown

djcbrown Forum Member

hey guys i have the denon s1000 cdjs and they seem to be having a problem with the pitch control when hooked up to traktor scratch. i have tried using them with the key adj on the cdjs and the pitch doesnt change at all. then when i turn that off the pitch works but doesnt have key adj so it sounds like the devil slow or chipmunk fast. I now that the pitch works fine on the system but it is rather difficult to mix while changing the pitch on the computer with a mouse. thanks guys

8. chilly

You cannot use key adjustments on your cd players. At all. It messes with the time code signal.

Turn on the key adjustment inside Traktor Scratch.

9. jokaoka

jokaoka Forum Member

I also have denon s1000, and waiting for my traktor scratch. just wondering maybe you can turn on key adjustment in traktor and then use pitch on cd players? DO you think it has chance to work:)?

:confused:

10. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

There is a known problem with Denon CD players when used to timecode control Traktor scratch- see the knowledgbase section of the NI website.

Apparently, there is a workaround which involves ripping the tracks off the control CDs to your computer, lowering the volume, and then burning them to fresh CDs. Dunno if it works though.

11. jokaoka

jokaoka Forum Member

Yes, maybe generaly they are working fine. but i have asked specific question about key adjustment.
    and I also found that they are problem with key adjustments so I would like to know how it works.

12. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

The timecode CD/vinyl (if you have a listen to it) encodes what is, for the most part, a 2kHZ sine wave. This sine wave is only at 2kHz at 0% pitch. If you move your pitch slider to +10%, the pitch of the sound will get higher (2.2kHz).

By 'listening' to how the pitch of the timecode sine wave changes, Traktor knows how far you have moved the pitch slider, and makes the appropriate adjustment to the audio file you wish to play.

HOWEVER - if you turn the key lock on your CD player, it will 'correct' the pitch of the sine wave back to the 0% value, despite the position of the pitch slider. This means Traktor cannot detect the changes you have made on the pitch slider, cos it can't hear the difference in the pitch.

Hence you should NOT use key lock on your CD player (or vinyl if your deck has line out). If you need to alter/lock pitch of a tune you can do this within Traktor.

:)

13. jokaoka

jokaoka Forum Member

Thank you very much for clear explenation:)
    So it looks like i should not worry about key adjustment on my cd player because I can use key adjustment in Traktor.
    then another story how good is key adjustment in traktor. Do you have good experience with that?
    I read somewhere else that is not working so good like e.g in the denon.
    once again thanks

14. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

There are three settings for key adjustment 'quality' in Traktor. The better the setting the more CPU power it requires. Personally, I think the best setting sounds great until you start pushing the pitch past about 8-10%.

15. djjasoncarroll

djjasoncarroll NI Product Owner

What the other guy was trying to tell you is the Denon cd players dont work very well with TS, I have a pair and what happens is while playing it pitch shifts like you are pushing the pitch bend buttons, I have been told by NI that in denon cd players there is some form of exciter/enhancer the is the problem.

16. djcbrown

djcbrown Forum Member

ya man it sucks with these cdjs because sometimes when u spin back really fast or forward it does the reverse! Also from what the other user said "So it looks like i should not worry about key adjustment on my cd player because I can use key adjustment in Traktor." That isnt good enough because if you change the pitch it will still sound as if they key adjustment is off even though it isnt on the system and you dont want to be changing the pitch on the actual program with a mouse. for one, thats friggin hard! and you dont look very good starring at ur laptop moving a pitch up and down. i want to touch my laptop at the very least and thats why i bought traktor scratch. im kinda screwed now until i go back home and use my technics turntables.

17. DJ_AS

DJ_AS NI Product Owner

You appear to have completely misunderstood.

If you want to change the speed and pitch of the record (just like on a good ol' 1210), use the pitch slider on the deck.

If you want to change the speed of the record but lock the pitch (e.g. to prevent chipmunking vocals / mix in key), use the pitch slider on the DECK and use key lock on TRAKTOR.

Do not use key lock on the DECK under any circumstances.

18. supaxcite

supaxcite Forum Member

last nite i used numark cdn 90s and the system crashed this is the second week in a row it did this the nite before i used 3500s and it worked perfect at home i use tt and works perfect i guess dual cdn 90s dont read timecode good if not some one help plz

19. Mi Ami Nice

Mi Ami Nice Forum Member

have 2 cdj400's and Traktor works almost perfect, some effects on the cdj are not useable with traktor, looping works, shorten loop works , cue works, ...

20. jefke88

jefke88 New Member

Anyone who tried the denon 4000 and denon 4500?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.