1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

change color of key pads to match kontakt color range?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by basvoskamp, May 6, 2018.

1. basvoskamp

basvoskamp New Member

Hi, not sure if i am just stupidly overlooking something or if this just isn't a feature of Maschine (yet).
    But i would really like to have the pads (i guess on the instruments tab) to light up according to the color range of the loaded kontakt instrument.
    I can't find how to do this.
    Would be really nice for particular situations to use the maschine like my komplete kontrol because i feel some sounds would perform better when played on pads. Especially when working with loop-slices/vocal chops, but also with some instruments that contain different types of sound on the piano roll. This way i can easily determain what sound i am playing.
    if this isn't possible, is there maybe a way to change the colors on instrument tab manually, but still have the integration with my daw?

(Maschine mk3, cubase 9.5)

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Unfortunately, Maschine's Pads do not show the color of Kontakt instruments Keys in Keyboard mode, it would be really nice if it did.
    No. Keyboard Mode only displays the color of the Sound/Pad.

There is a manual workaround using Pad Mode instead of Keyboard Mode but it will only work if you don't need more than 16/15 Pads/Notes:
    1. Load the Kontakt Instrument to Pad16
    2. Select Pad1 press CHANNEL/MIDI > SOUND and set "Dest" to Pad16 - This will make Pad1 trigger the instrument.
    3. Turn the Transpose knob while repeatedly pressing Pad1 until it triggers the desired note on the Instrument.
    4. Change Pad1 color to match Kontakt's color.
    5. Repeat #2, #3 and #3 for all the Pads.
    If you need more notes you can create another Group and point all the Pads to that same Pad16.(Might not be practical to have 2 groups for one instrument depending on the situation though)

• Like Like x 1
  3. basvoskamp

basvoskamp New Member

Thanks for your reply and explanation for this workaround. I tried it and it worked like i want! Thanks a lot. :)
    hopefully they will implement more convenient integration in a future update.

4. peter verberne

peter verberne New Member

Hi D-One,
    I tried to find this in Maschine feature requests and like to vote this one up, because it would really help to have the Maschine colors follow the komplete kontrol colors. I could not find the feature request. In my opinion, your workaround is just too tedious and Maschine should follow the so called NKS.

Can you help a bit and point me to the direction to this feature request, or should I write one myself?

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I agree.
    The workaround is not for the colors, its for using Pad Mode with any drum-instrument, or just general instruments all around. It might be tedious but you only have to do it once, save the Group then load it later from the library whenever you need it.

I dont think there is one, you need 10 posts on the forum to be able to post in the feature requests section, but just make a normal thread and i'll move it there for you, tag me so I dont miss it. Dont hold your breath on what your asking happening anytime soon tho.

6. peter verberne

peter verberne New Member

Hi D-One,
    Thanks for your prompt reply and for your tips. I've tried your method and it's workable. And thanks for agreeing with me as well. I know there's a lot of feature requests that maybe more urgent, but still, I find it kind of surprising that a company that puts the NKS as a standard for others, does not implement this in their own hardware. For large library owners and big plugins these colors come in handy to know where and what you are playing...
    I drop you a line as soon as I have worked out a good proposal.

• Like Like x 1