1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Combine Komplete with Korg Kronos, change MIDI channel

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Hans van Stippent, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Hans van Stippent

Hans van Stippent New Member

Hello forum,

I'm new to the world of NI so please forgive my newbee question and possible double post.
    I tried searching the forum but did not find an answer to my question. Thanx in advance.

I would like to use the Komplete A61 without a computer but connect it via USB to my Korg Kronos.
    Then if I can change the MIDI out channel on the A61 to channel 2, the Kronos can accept input
    from this external keyboard. Allowing me to setup split points so in a live performance I can use
    the A61 as if the Kronos has an extra set of keys (so I think of it simply as doubling the number of keys on my Kronos, giving me more room / flexibility to use split points ranges).

Is this possible?
    Do I need to change the MIDI out channel on the A61 to channel 2 for this ?
    How can I do that?

Greetings Hans

• Like Like x 1
  2. Adil @ NI

Adil @ NI KOMPLETE TEAM NI Team

Hi Hans,

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on your new A-Series keyboard! At present, it is not possible to change the MIDI channel of the keybed, but this will be made possible in the future via an update to Komplete Kontrol software.

Best,
    Adil

3. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

The alternative might be to change the mapping so the Kronos is channel 2 and the 61 stays on channel 1? Not sure if that'll work but I've got a Kronos kicking around so might give it a go later.

Mike

4. Hans van Stippent

Hans van Stippent New Member

Thanx Mike for your answer. That is what tried : In the Kronos I changed the Global Midi Channel To 2.
    When I play timbres that I assign channel 2 I hear correctly sound from the Kronos and not from the 61.
    But when I play timbres that are assigned to channel 1 I suspect only sound from the 61 but also the Kronos produces the same sound when I play the same keyboard zone. Am I doing something wrong or is this not possible ?

5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

IIRC if you're using Combi mode on Kronos, any timbre in that combi can respond to a different MIDI channel. So if one or more of those respond to channel 1...

6. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

I found the trrouble with the Kronos is it's so flexible you can easily end up with things happening that aren't obvious. I was going to take a look at this over the weekend but wife-stuff happened :D

7. Klaas Prakken

Klaas Prakken New Member

Hello Adil,

Is there any news regarding the possibility of changing the MIDI channel of the keybed?

Regards,
    Klaas

8. Adil @ NI

Hey Klaas,

Indeed there is! The MIDI Assignment Editor for A-Series keyboards is available in latest update of Komplete Kontrol which can be installed from Native Access.

Best,
    Adil

• Like Like x 1
  9. Klaas Prakken

Klaas Prakken New Member

And this will enable me to assign a MIDI channel to the keyboard, save it to the A49, and then use It offline? (Offline being disconnected from the computer, and connected to my Kronos)

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  10. Adil @ NI

Hi Klaas,

I'm afraid that templates configured via the MIDI Assignment Editor are only available when your keyboard is connected to your computer via the USB cable. When used without a computer, the keyboard will only hold the 'default', unassignable template.

Best,
    Adil

11. Klaas Prakken

Klaas Prakken New Member

I'm going to suggest something...
    Since the default template is 'hard coded', this might imply that it is part of the firmware of the keyboard.
    How about making a version available that is set to a different MIDI channel?

12. Klaas Prakken

Klaas Prakken New Member

I would've liked to keep this board. The feel of the keys is great.
    However, its inflexibility causes me to take it back to the store. Shame.