Combine z1 with lemur on ipad?

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z1' started by spielor2, Jul 12, 2013.

1. spielor2

spielor2 NI Product Owner

hi

just bought the controller but somehow i am not able to use the z1 for its intended purpose and additionally add a lemur ipad controller to manage hotcues.

any ideas?

cheers,

jens

2. Karlos Santos

Karlos Santos Rocket Man Moderator

The Z1's intended purpose is for use with the Traktor DJ app & Traktor Pro as a mixer/controller.

How are you attempting to combine the Lemur with it..? The Lemur would just be another controller connected via whatever method you chose (if you are referring to Traktor Pro).

The Lemur will not control Traktor DJ at all.

Karlos

3. spielor2

Well I was hoping to have the Z1 do what it is intended for (serve as a mixing controlelr with internal soundcard) and use Lemur or Touchosc for triggering cuepoints, loops, nudging tempo up and down etc when using Traktor pro with it.
    I know that there is no way (or is there?) to have a second ipad controlling the Traktor app.

I tried to import the template of the lemur surface I want to use, which worked well of course but the z1 then just acted as a soundcard and all the controls were not working anymore.
    As I did not program my own templates I can just guess (or hope) the this is generally possible but maybe the template did have functipons for crossfader etc and so kind of stole these functions from the z1.

Maybe I got this totally wrong but does TraktorDJ (the app) completely rely on the beatgrid being set properly? I cant see any possibillity to shift the tempo of just one track up or down or nudge (is this the right word for speeding up or slowing down the record for a bit to get in sync?) the track.

For standard tech house, deep house etc this works very well. Unfortunately I have a huge collection of breakbeat and quite a few tracks dont get analysed properly so I would have to mix the old fashioned way without sync (I think when they were ripped off record there were also some problems with the turntable keeping speed stable and some files seem to have very slight changes in tempo).

Actually I bought the z1 today as I do like 4/4 as I like breaks and I must say mixing with the app and the controller works really well and slick but it would be great to get a bit more flexibility when using the controller on traktor pro.

4. Karlos Santos

It was intended for use with TDJ and TPRO. Period.
    It can be used with 3rd party software when used in 'Midi Mode'. This is enabled via Traktor Pro > Preferences.

The Z1 uses the NHL protocol and default mappings in TDJ and TPRO unless it is in Midi Mode and then it can be mapped to the users wishes.

It is not a hardware mixer it purely sends NHL/Midi messages. It is not meant to plug and play with the Lemur.

Karlos

5. spielor2

No, I meant that I will run the lemur app or touchosc on my ipad, connect to my mac using wlan to traktor pro and have the z1 connected with my mac via usb.
    now i would like to configure traktor pro this way that i can control the parameters of traktor pro the z1 gives me (eq, crossfader etc) and use the lemurapp to do stuff like cuepoints.
    Both works fine on its own but my question was if it is possible to tell traktor that it will be getting controller messages from 2 devices (the z1 and the ipad running lemur).

Hmm is noone else using a Hardwarecontroller plus a controlapp on an ios device? This question doesnt necessarily releate purely to the z1.
    we used a mixtrack pro before and ad the same idea.
    I guess the same problem would even occur if I connected 2 hardwarecontrollers.
    Not sure if Traktor offers the option for multiple controldevices. One idea might be to create a virtual device in OS x and link the datastream of the controllers threre. I know that this works well for audio but I am not sure if any other protocol than midi (guess lemur as well as touchosc are using osc protocol to send controller events?).

jens

6. Karlos Santos

Ah ok, yeah we were not on the same level with this conversation before :)

The Z1 will work with the default NHL mapping and will automatically select the correct in/out ports.

You should have no problems with more controllers including the Lemur app or TouchOSC.
    I have used TouchOSC alongside my S4 and most other controllers with my iPad and iPhone.

Traktor will see the device when connected as a separate controller.

I don't know if this is any use to you but here is a tutorial using Lemur to control the remix decks:
    http://www.traktorbible.com/articles/remix-with-the-lemur.aspx

Karlos

7. spielor2

Great. I was hoping that this would work but I wasnt quite sure as I can just choose one controldevice in the controlerpreferences.

I guess the problem that the lemurapp steals the functionality from the z1's controls is because in the lemurpatch are faders & knobs for the functions i want the z1 to do and traktor gives them to lemur (would there be a way to have both control the same functions (eg like a midi merge) so that I could basically have a crossfader on the lemurpatch as well as the z1 and bot work the crossfader on traktor pro?).

I see there is lots to learn for me.

8. spielor2

just unplugged the z1 after establishing the lemur ipad conncetion and plugged it in again. works brilliantly.