Coming in the next update of MASCHINE and KOMPLETE KONTROL

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Kai @ NI, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee NI Product Owner

VST3 Support.... Woohoo! It's only been 11 years..lol :eek:

Oh wait, that's under "Coming soon" :(

2. KidBomba

KidBomba New Member

I know, I am a Reason user, and have been using Maschine as a VST plugin. Since I got my MK3, I've started working more on Maschine standalone, but miss using Reason devices and extensions. Reason 11 is out now and it runs all devices and extensions as VST3, which Maschine does not yet support. I sure hope VST3 is released soon, I understand it's coming soon but it still kind of grey/unknown.

I have explored in some way VST3 to VST2 wrappers, but its just too much hassle and money. I think once maschine supports VST3 its going to open so many new possibilities. The Maschine /Reason 11 VST combo is amazing to me; I feel in some way trapped between working in Maschine and using Reason right now however and hoping VST3 comes out soon... for now, I guess i will continue to go on in my old way and continue to work on Reason and load Maschine as a plugin....

3. Larry Bynum

Larry Bynum New Member

Curious I Can Change Group and Pad Color but there is no "Move Function" available when "Shift" is pressed. Has anyone figured this out yet? Studio Controller.

4. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

why did they fire him?

5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

No that's not implemented with the studio controler cause shift + keyboard has a function already.

Uwe

6. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

I know I'm late to the thread but oh well... First of all I'd also like to share my sympathy towards all the people who lost their job, that's always tough. But I'd also like to wish all remaining N.I. staff all the best as well, because one way or the other this is bound to affect you guys as well. Hope all works out for ya!

And of course thanks for the honesty by sharing this update with us!

At first I wanted to share that I'm really looking forward to this feature, then I realized that I'm already working with Maschine 2.8.7 :D Time to hit the manual I guess, I already found out how to set the group colour, now for the rest :)

7. 4teenth

4teenth NI Product Owner

FREE LENGTH PATTERNS! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. MrBase

MrBase New Member

Just for info. I have still my old MK1
    Get it to work: You must install the stand alone drivers from NI support page.
    Then the most of the all new functions still works in MK1. But you need to hold Shift to reach them.
    The only thing i have found is not working is the strip and Ideas.

I have also an Komplete MK2 and from there i have ideas functions, so it's good for me :)

9. 4teenth

4teenth NI Product Owner

Apologies if this is written somewhere, but is there documentation/demonstration of this:

"MK3: Reorganise Groups and Sounds via the PAD MODE and SHIFT button" ?

10. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

theres not a lot to write down in a manual about this: just go into pad mode, hold shift and some new options will show in the screens like "move" or "color"...nothing fancy really ;)

11. janvdc

janvdc NI Product Owner

Record free-length patterns in MASCHINE (the pattern will grow in length as you continue recording) YES ;)

12. CPAF

CPAF NI Product Owner

I really only have one wish left (after seeing whats coming):

Pls, Kai, everybody at NI - As you have made your KK-keyboards able to work perfectly with Maschine software, do the same thing for your Maschine hardware --> Make it work perfectly with Komplete Kontrol software! It is possible to add a KK-mode i'm certain.

I really want to be able to use my maschine mk3 as a controller for komplete kontrol (that I use for all instruments in my Cubase 10 template), when I'm away from my KKmk2 keyboard! Please! please :) (christmas present?)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Falko Freund

Falko Freund NI Product Owner

Please: Start/Stop and playing until the end (like Ableton). Regards

14. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

I want this too, and it’s a bit insane that it doesn’t already work that way. It should be possible to use the Maschine mk3 as a first-class controller for Komplete Kontrol, including browsing instruments, effects, and presets, and controlling their parameters. The displays, knobs, and the buttons above the displays should all work exactly like they do on the KKS mk2.

One of the roadblocks to making this happen is Komplete Kontrol (the software) was designed to only work with one controller at a time (a very shortsighted decision that has made the experience of owning multiple NI controllers miserable in numerous ways). If you have more than one KK keyboard, only one of them works properly, and the other one becomes a generic MIDI controller. If they did properly support Maschine mk3 as a real KK controller you would probability run into the same problem, where one of them is in KK mode and the other one becomes a dumb MIDI controller.

The integration between Maschine and Komplete Kontrol needs massive improvements in both directions. I’m assuming the underlying software needs to be completely rethought to make this possible.

Whether that will ever happen is anyone’s guess, but I hope NI management realizes what a wasted opportunity it is that people who really want to buy more of their hardware are backing away because it simply doesn’t work well together. Komplete and Maschine (the software and hardware) should be an absolutely killer combo that makes it a no brainer to buy both.

I personally am ready to buy an S61 mk2 (to replace my S49 mk1) and an M32, and use both with my Maschine mk3. I also strongly considered adding a Maschine Jam earlier this year, but I’m waiting for some sign of life that confirms they still care about it and it’s not the dead product it currently appears to be.

NI…you guys are leaving a lot of money on the table by not fixing these fundamental flaws that end up being dealbreakers for dedicated users who want to use more of your hardware.

• Like Like x 1
  15. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

What's the benefit to allowing Maschine to control KK? Can't you just use the Maschine plugin instead?

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Depka

Depka NI Product Owner

I prety much think the same thing, same goes for missing integration of maschine into traktor sw and working on some arranger linear editing tools inside maschine :/ Yesterday i thought that i jump ship, sell all NI hardware and go to some akai MPC live or something :/

• Like Like x 2
  17. von Klamke

von Klamke NI Product Owner

KK has better ARP section, for one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Depka

Depka NI Product Owner

Can you please explain what is better in the KK ? Honestly, I'm curious, cause i think they're basically the same

19. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

Komplete Kontrol a lightweight middleman for using NI and NKS instruments in your DAW of choice. When you aren't using Maschine to sequence and mix multiple groups of instruments, it's a massive waste of resources to load the entire thing as a plugin just so you can browse and control one instrument. Let's say you want to use 10 different NI/NKS plugins in an Ableton Live project. You can easily load 10 instances of Komplete Kontrol and it will hardly use any more CPU or memory than if you loaded the plugins directly into the tracks. Now try that with Maschine and let me know how it goes (spoiler: you're gonna have a bad time).

You can, of course, load a single instance of Maschine to host all your NI/NKS plugins and use the external inputs to route them to individual tracks in Ableton Live, but that's a whole bunch of extra hassle just to browse and control instruments. It just adds unnecessary complexity and gets in the way of the creative process. This is why the Komplete Kontrol plugin exists. Since Komplete Kontrol hardware works in Maschine software, and they both have exactly the same browser and control scheme, it makes total sense that Maschine hardware should also work in Komplete Kontrol software. It just doesn't.

The only good reason to load Maschine as a plugin is to use it as a self-contained groovebox within the scope of a larger project. I generally only do it if I started an idea in Maschine (standalone) first and want to move it over to Logic or Ableton Live to flesh it out into a full track.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Depka

Depka NI Product Owner

Ahh i see, thank you for the explanation. I developed similar but different approach with multiple instances of maschine inside Ableton(or any other DAW) where i have groups of 16 Midi tracks to send midi into maschine which is the 17th track in that group. This is repeated for all major sound groups like Hihats, Percussion, Bass, Pads, Leads, Atmo/FX. Curiously enough i dont have any ultra high end pc to power this blasphemy :D it's i7 6800K which is like 3-4 years old, maybe older and ableton's CPU usage sits between 20% and 30% when playing full loop(all instruments at once) which is fine i guess. I'm attaching picture as an example for hihats group in my project.

Attached Files: