Controller Editor is pathetic for MK2, when is the update coming?

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL S-SERIES' started by Nino213, Oct 24, 2017.

1. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Nope.

2. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

Aww, come on - most people [EDIT - admittedly a stretch of a statement for accuracy] don't even know the Controller Editor existed - which is why they likely moved it into Komplete Kontrol. For most users reading the marketing materials I would think they'd be thinking of MIDI Learn when they think of the term "assignable."

Oh well - so I have a contextual prejudice... darn thing still works, and I am using it rather than waiting to assign it to a different CC number before I consider it as being useful.

Terry

3. Nino213

Nino213 New Member

I think we can all agree that we all expected the strip to work like the MK1 where it has the bouncing/oscillating thing. But that wasn't the main point of my post, rather it's the basic functionality of the transport controls. I tried a MIDI sniffer tool and it's not sending anything from them, they're using USB urb so there's no way for us to intercept and use a keybinding function etc.

This keyboard is by no means a finished product and seems to be an afterthought or a complement to the Maschine. I'm returning my product, spoke to the local shop where I bought it from and he told me to contact NI for help with de-activation of my license and then simply return it. The silence from NI regarding these features has been truly strange as I had no experience with them prior to this buy, I held them in a very high regard as they're seen as a staple and the only other company that is as well known to the less involved would be Waves. Hopefully enough people take a stance with their wallets and maybe that would give NI a hint, doubtful but there isn't much else to do.

A few tips NI could benefit from:
    1. Be more transparent with what features you'll be releasing, when, what progress you've made so far etc. cause interacting with your users is never a bad thing.
    2. Don't put software limitations on stuff (the KK VST lacks the functionality of controling VST FX) in order to sell more hardware, the S MK2 is just as capable of controlling those parameters as the Maschine MK3, and the majority of code already exist so that's another huge con.
    3. If it's a rushed product, or you haven't had enough time but will be implementing the features from point 2, then you should let your users know (connecting to that transparency issue) and you should give your users access to the Maschine VST as a "forgive us" for not holding up our end of the bargain.
    4. Open those APIs/documentations/SDKs up, what do you have to lose? I'm fairly new around here, just signed up less than 3 weeks ago and have seen that you have two diamonds in Jester and Kymeia(?) that are willing to put work in, and do work for you that you should be doing in the first place, give them a helping hand, don't alienate people like that.

• Like Like x 3
  4. shed studio

shed studio New Member

All I have to say to that is, join the queue (no condescension mean't). And this is not intended as a "bagging out" post toward NI either.

On the contrary, I am being completely genuine when I say; I truly don't understand NI's seemingly self-sabotaging business model (and I wish I did)? Do they really have such an income stream that they can repeatedly afford to alienate users who are hoping to build on previous investments, instead of needing to repeat the same buying cycle over and over? Users who really do need products to get their work done, and in less time and with better results than prior to buying the product in the first place?

Why constantly redevelop software/hardware that often doesn't build on past progression, but instead severe's cross-system functionality, while appearing to take 2 steps back then 3 steps sideways, then 2 steps forward? And possibly make devout enemies out of customers who have invested thousands to keep trying to "play their way" in the process.
    NI have gained a track record for consistently abandoning usability support for not only software, but hardware as well. Often leaving people wondering why they were foolish enough to begin investing in that company's system/infrastructure in the first place. I know every company has to remain profitable, but at what time would customers ever be ok buying into a "round wheel" workflow, then paying more money while being corralled into a "hexagonal" one 2-3 yrs on?

I should mention that I am referring to more than just the S series MkI/MkII discussion here.

Maybe 3rd party licensing revenue for Kontakt is substantial and enough (or huge!)?? Or music dev for NI is just a front for some other tax deductible operation?? :D
    Perhaps like AVID, we'll just have to keep speculating. The truth lies somewhere out in the abyss.

5. Tumulte

Tumulte Member

I confirm that this bloody thing is a black box. Tried a sub sniffer on it and nothing gets out the navigation buttons.

WHY ?

I can't begin to think of a reason. This could've made this thing usefull on non supported software's.

Also, WHY no arp and scales in midi mode ?

This thing's a joke.

6. Cubilas

Cubilas New Member

Looks like KK 1.9.2 will roll out soon... There's a built in velocity curve option for the software. Maybe that means the Controller Editor will be updated soon as well? Hopefully with this roll out?

7. Kimbo72

Kimbo72 NI Product Owner

Let's hope Cubase support comes soon as well.
    I can't use the transport function.

Again first make good software before release the hardware!

8. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

It's been added and will be available shortly with the next release

9. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

I thought I was upgrading from my mk1 to the mk2 but unfortunately I'm having a very bad experience. Please, can someone confirm for me that opening the Controller Editor from within the Native Instruments folder is a No "Connect" at all? Here in my setup I get no connection what so ever is this correct and we are waiting for a very serious update? I hope, because I just spent many hours with reinstalling and checking USB cables etc.. Please confirm, thanks..

10. Aldred411

Aldred411 NI Product Owner

Controller editor does not work with the new kk 2 . The option to assign buttons and such is in komplete kontrol software, top right of the page , other side of the meter is a midi icon , click that , at the moment there are something's missing which will come in an update very soon,

11. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

I’ve spent so many hours thinking there was something wrong with my system thanks to you I would have been going at it again tomorrow. Maybe I missed it but I cannot find any word of this other than searching back a few pages of threads. This should be a sticky if it is it already. Thank you again for confirming… Sheesh!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aldred411

Aldred411 NI Product Owner

Yeah I fired up controller editor as soon as I got mine , came here ,the thread where it was discussed was on the first page , so I was not to much of an inconvenience.

13. Louis~

Louis~ NI Product Owner

Would it be safe to say when in a DAW or Not, selecting "Shift Instance" brings up "No Instance Selected" on the left of screen and on the right a grayed out "Select" ? I'm just trying to make sure I'm seeing what everyone sees and how many areas of the software is in dire straits.. Thanks.

14. Benjamin Hall

Benjamin Hall NI Product Owner

"The KOMPLETE KONTROL S49 features extensive MIDI control for third-party instruments with the included Controller Editor software. Adjust touch-strip behavior, configure keyboard splits with Light Guide visual feedback, and create custom templates. When you use KOMPLETE Instruments and third-party instruments together in a session, KOMPLETE KONTROL automatically switches between MIDI mode and KOMPLETE KONTROL software when you select a track for uninterrupted workflow."

This is the product description from an online vendor...doesn't say anything about these features coming at a later date. Personally, the most useful of these would be the key split feature....but since the controller editor software is incompatible, contrary to the advertised capabilities, seems to be a bit of false advertising.

15. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

That's clearly referring to version 1 so not really

16. Benjamin Hall

17. JesterMgee

If you made a purchase based that blurb, from that retailer and it doesn't fit the description, its reason to send it back.

Seems it's a simple case of a copy/paste by the retailer from the MK1 to the MK2. Nothing to do with NI at all, they don't control how retailers advertise.

18. Kymeia

Kymeia NI Product Owner

19. Benjamin Hall

That's not the only seller I've seen that advertised on... don't get me wrong, still content with getting it, but was a bit of unmet expectation to be sure.

20. JesterMgee

Yeah that is understandable. I was very keen to update when I first saw the release but I have a rule to always wait at least 2 months after a launch of any hardware to see what the uptake is and when I found that some very basic features (that ARE in the MK1) were not available in the MK2 I decided to wait... Still waiting and now have almost no interest to update, it's lost its appeal to me.

IMO it appears NI have too many fingers in too many pies and not enough hands. Couple that with the insane amount of red tape that would be limiting how they can develop and release things. I went through all that with a company I worked for which started small but as they expanded they just expected their engineers and R&D to just take things on as they had but all the extra procedure they introduced caused simple ideas that were discussed over a few beers and released the next day to become months and months of mainly paperwork and testing/re-testing and any time the smallest bug was discovered or change was needed it added even more months to the release. Actually ended up killing many projects because they just took too long to release and were obsolete before the end of development so they would shut down projects that were $1m investments because competition or market changes were too quick for them to keep up.