1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Crossfader ON the Z2 calibration?

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z2' started by jessrox78, Nov 3, 2012.

1. thoms

thoms NI Product Owner

mine was perfect. So not all are delivered with this problem. But now that NI is aware of the problem and are giving new faders to those experiencing a bad XF I dont see why you shouldnt get one? Its a great mixer.

2. jam-bar

jam-bar New Member

Mine got shipped out a couple of days ago. Can't wait to get it. NI and Eliot have both been awesome during this process. Other companies could learn a lot from this.

3. DJ EL-TOPO

DJ EL-TOPO NI Product Owner

Does anyone know what the x fader cut in SHOULD be? Have N.I stated anywhere that we should expect a 1.5 mm cut in or a 1 mm cut in etc.....

4. DJ EL-TOPO

DJ EL-TOPO NI Product Owner

People were asking why there aren't any scratch vids on the z2, it sounds like people might of been doubting it was good for cutting on. I'm not the best but this might at least show it's very good for scratching on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcl_8SrFtxs"]Traktor Kontrol Z2 first impressions - YouTube[/ame]

5. P K

P K Forum Member

Post fader fx is and has been available in hardware only mixers long before any DVS.

Seems like taking advantage of the ability of the software to do the internal routing would be the obvious answer when designing the post fader fx feature.

BUT don't get it twisted, although NI chose not to, post fx routing could've have been done in the mixer not the software.

Not sure if you were trying to clarify that was the way NI chose to design this feature or if you were causing some confusion about post fader fx and their implementation.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  6. Elemental J

Elemental J New Member

Please help, I've tried everything Ni Approved and still my fader is silly laggy.....

Any Ideas?

7. a1beats

a1beats Forum Member

Ive gotten a replacement fader from NI and they assured me that its within specs as they tested it before they shipped it to me.. i got the fader and its still laggy as hell.. first fader came with my z2 had 1.8-2.0mm gap/lag and got the new one and it still got 1.3mm lag. super pissed about dealing with this mixer cuz my scratching sounds to robotic and doesnt have the smooth fader cut like my rane 62. i LOVE the mixer features etc. but this fader lag is pissing me off and prolly gonna sell the z2 since my 30 day has expired. :angry: bummer!

8. Elemental J

Elemental J New Member

Yikes! I had purchased this thing with the confidence it was (at least for me) the TTM57 Killer, based on your experience i'm a bit nervous... Still 1.3mm sounds pretty nice to me... I'm near 4mm total..

I'm still hoping that new fader is a solution, and if not I'm going to my local NI Rep ( I manage a DJ Dept.) and begging for a new Z2...:S

This thing was my sole Xmas gift, and now based on it's Xfader... I'm renting a TTM57 for New Years... I know NI must be hyper busy this time of the year... And naturally on the launch of a device, there will be issues. However this is a major issue for a key demographic...

If there's anyone there my Ticket # is: Ticket#2012122710004712
    I'm still trying to remain positive that there is a solution and that this thing will be the 57 Killer I had envisioned...........

Thanks for your help.

9. Innofader

Innofader Forum Member

@a1beats: We are currently testing every single mini Innofader for both cut-in to make sure it is tight and cut-out to make sure it doesn't bleed. To do this we use a special rotary caliper; we take the fader to the endpoint and then go back and forth from that point to measure both the cut-out and cut-in. If faders are too close to 1.2mm on the high end and 0.3mm on the low end then we recalibrate to fix them and make sure they are well within spec.

Also the Rane Magnetic fader has a significantly different resistance and weighting. Is it really the mini Innofader cut-in that is an issue for you or is it different feel that is affecting your cuts?

@Elemental J: The 4mm you have is way out of spec and I can fully assure you that your replacement part will not have this issue.

Elliot

10. jam-bar

jam-bar New Member

I got my replacement innofader about 2-1/2 weeks after I opened a case. Like night and day from the original stock xfader. I'm a happy camper now. :)

Great customer service NI.

11. a1beats

a1beats Forum Member

Thanks Elliot for the reply & info. my issue is the 1.3mm lag. both my Rane 62 and Traktor S4 sounds identical and no comparison with my the z2 even with the new replacement fader NI sent me right before xmas. I really wanna keep this mixer cuz i love it minus the fader. i can deal with the line faders:D

12. Innofader

Innofader Forum Member

So what cut-in would fix this for you? 1.0mm? Or is it some other X factor? What are you getting for cut-ins on your Rane 62 ad Traktor S4? On the Traktor S4, are you using the original fader?

Elliot

13. a1beats

a1beats Forum Member

its hard to explain.. but here is a quick comparison video i shot with my iphone. hope this explains it. notice the gap on the Z2 compared to the S4(stock xfader) and sixty two.

http://youtu.be/R4yCDlOB92Y

14. blackavenger

blackavenger Forum Member

Have any of Y'all seen this video?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4yCDlOB92Y"]Traktor Z2 Rane 62 traktor S4 Xfader Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

15. f33

f33 Forum Member

thats what mine did, but larger, the new fader is better, but not perfect.

now work on the upfader curves NI!

16. Innofader

Innofader Forum Member

A few comments after seeing the video:

-> I noticed on both the Traktor S4 and Rane 62 a doubled cutting effect even though the fader crossed the cut point once. The mini Innofader has a ~0.5mm overlap between the cut-in and cut-out. We do this intentionally to ensure a clean cut sound. Perhaps this is throwing you off? We had requests from many scratch DJs who insisted on this so they could have clean scratches as they got faster and more aggressive. You are quite gentle on the crossfader in your demo videos :) perhaps intentionally to show the cut sound?

What is the overlap between the cut-in and cut-out on the mini Innofader installed in your Z2?

-> I hear a delay between the fader movement and fader cutting action on all demos. Is there any difference between the 3 faders in this respect?

-> Noticed a very slight difference between the Rane cut-in (0.9mm) and the cut-in on your mini Innofader (1.25mm). If say the mini Innofader cut-in were the same 0.9mm would this be what you are looking for?

17. a1beats

a1beats Forum Member

Elliot, thanks again for the quick reply and YES i was VERY GENTLE while testing the faders between the 62, S4 and Z2. i was doing that on purpose to show the gap difference between the 3 units. like i said in my previous post. its not the sound that creates that bugs me. its the longer gap for the sound to engage which affects my scratch combos (ie crab, flares, autobahn etc )

18. Innofader

Innofader Forum Member

If you could go through and answer the following specific questions then I and people at NI who are reading this thread can better understand what you are looking for:

1) What is the overlap between the cut-in and cut-out on the mini Innofader you have?
    2) Is there any difference in response of the 3 faders you are testing or is it simply the position where the cut happens that is different?
    3) If the mini Innofader on your Z2 had a cut-in of 0.9mm like your Rane instead of 1.25mm would that alone resolve the issue for you? Or would you require a reduction in the cut-in and cut-out overlap?

The reason I ask these questions is because in your demo you seem to be intentionally forcing the cut action right at the cut point rather than doing actual flares and crabs working off of the end of the fader travel. So even though you say it's the cut point that bothers you, the video makes it look like your main complaint is the cut-in and cut-out overlap.

Thanks for your time!

Elliot

19. DJ KRuZe

DJ KRuZe New Member

The replacement crossfader that NI sent me has now started to bleed again after about 2 weeks of use...dammit! Im gona open up another case with NI. I really love this mixer but hate the issues with the crossfader. I also do alot of scratching on the upfaders and they actually loosen u quite nicely after ALOT of scratching. I hate having to switch back to my 05Pro4 when the crossfader is playing up. I think I will buy an Innofader Pro to use in the meantime so I can continue to use this mixer.

20. Innofader

Innofader Forum Member

@DJ Kruze - I will contact NI directly regarding the issues you bring up.