1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Crossfader ON the Z2 calibration?

Discussion in 'KONTROL Z2' started by jessrox78, Nov 3, 2012.

1. a1beats

a1beats Forum Member

@blackavenger -let us know how the calibration is after you install the PNP upfaders. i scratch with the upfaders as well since i scratch hamster and it makes it easier for me to use the upfaders instead of switching the xfader. makes it easier when juggling and scratching at the same time for me :D

2. asparknz

asparknz New Member

Is there anyway to check the serial number on a new Z2 unit before purchase and figure out if it has the revised crossfader installed?

If Im about to buy from a retailer here in New Zealand its quite likely that they have stock which is not up to date

3. blackavenger

blackavenger Forum Member

You know, I was curious about the same thing.

4. Innofader

Innofader Forum Member

@silkygold: Yes this works.

@f33: The Innofader PNP adjustments work for both analog operation and for Traktor.

@blackavenger: it's not a question of replacing the fader, it's a question of replacing with something different than the original fader specified. I know from experience customers have difficulties with Innofader Pros accidentally shorting to the mixer. Again please check with NI to make sure. Most mixer manufacturers have similar warranty policies.

@asparknz, blackavenger: We have already sent several hundred new faders to NI. I also talked to NI support at NAMM to make sure that they send new version Innofaders to customers that have issues with the cut-in.

5. blackavenger

Thank you for your continued support & clarifications, Elliot.

My issue doesn't lie so much w' the crossfader, but w' the decision by NI to use your "resited" upfaders. I really hate this trend of the past few years or so of companies feeling that they have to babysit new DJs w' their mixing. I mean, can any of Y'all oldskool kats ever remember a mixer that had stiff upfaders back when you were new & learning? I certainly cannot, and I'm not only referring to "scratch oriented" mixers either......hell, even the 19" mixers which were clearly designed for House Music & Club Installs never had resistance on their upfaders. But I digress...

If you (or us) can somehow convince NI to offer the miniInno(cross)fader as a replacement item for purchase either through them, or through you (without voiding our warranty) for the upfaders, then I wouldn't be so reluctant to buy a Z2. I mean, this whole issue has me considering other options. I was soooo convinced I was going to get a Z2 before I discovered this sad fact. It really is a shame, crippling this otherwise kickass mixer right out the gate!

No offense to you, Elliot, but I'm just not sure that I want to invest $375 in faders for a mixer that only costs $300 over the price of it's comparable soundcard. I mean, I've already seen the dramatically diminished resale value of this mixer, and it's only months old.....not a good sign.

Damn, NI....should have just made this thing a bit more Pro (even at an increased cost), and no one would have these doubts.

6. Waxdigits

Waxdigits New Member

Z2 crossfader issues

Just to add my 2 cents. I have had continuing frustrations with the z2 crossfader. I have had 2 replacements both of which had a 4mm or so lag. Finally I got NI to send me a new Z2 as I was running out of ideas. Still I have had problems with this new one. The cut off on the crossfader just seems so inconsistent. The lag is far better now, around 1.5mm or so, but the fader doesn't always cut the sound off when in the closed position. I have recalibrated through the software countless times, reset the z2 and even the hardware calibration button on the fader itself and I just can't resolve it. I've just given up on this mini innofader now. I have wasted so much time on it and frankly I just want to use the mixer that I spent over £600 on. I have taken my innofader pnp put of my qfo and though quite a bit of calibration have managed to get it just right now. The minis aren't going to waste though. I'm going to stick the 2 that I have in as line faders as the stock ones are so stiff and unusable to scratch with. It should then become the mixer it always should have been!

7. Innofader

Innofader Forum Member

@blackavenger: I discussed exactly this matter with NI at NAMM so I hear ya!
    ---
    Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with this... I discussed this issue in depth with NI Tech Support at NAMM so they can be better equipped to help you and others in the future.

8. a1beats

a1beats Forum Member

i see Qbert using the z2 BUT havent heard or seen any videos. id like to know what he thinks of the crossfader and NI needs to work with him on this design! i hope its already happening :D

9. blackavenger

I couldn't get past those stiff upfaders, and didn't want to spend an additional
    $375 (for PnPs) on a mixer that is only worth $400 (after the cost of the built-in A6).

I went w' a Denon DN-X1600 instead.....I may eventually get a PnP for it however ;)
    I loved the idea of the Z2, but to be honest, I wish they had made it more pro, even at
    a premium cost. So I guess I'll see Y'all when the Z2 MKII, or Z4 is released.

DEFINITELY keep on them, Elliot! I would like to see your (loose) faders in all the
    slots of the (presumed) upcoming Z4.

10. Dj Vortex

Dj Vortex Forum Member

Another problem here.

I just bought a Z2 yesterday. First thing I do is throw on some vinyl and see how the fader is and I run into a problem.

When the fader is all the way to the left it won't cut out the sound unless you push it into the sidewall/edge of the fader crease. The right fader is fine. 1-2mm cut in, cut out is perfect.

Also, if you don't push the fader into the wall it will still play the sound then cut out on it's own.

Clearly a calibration/connection issue. Both left and right side should be the same, not one perfect and one screwed up.

And this is without using Traktor, just the mixer as a stand alone mixer.

I tried to contact tech support through this site but the website seems to not want to play nice.

How do I go about getting a replacement fader on this day old mixer?

11. thoms

thoms NI Product Owner

Open a ticket. U r not alone havin cf problems and NI will help u. But open a ticket.

12. a1beats

a1beats Forum Member

Update: I sold my Z2 to my friend last month. Just recieved a new replacement xfader and NI assured me that they fixed the fader lag probem. gave it to friend earlier today to install it and BAM! the new fader is BUTTER! im very happy with the results and kinda wanna buy it back from my friend lol. thanks NI.. took a while but you guys came through!

13. mr.Positive

mr.Positive NI Product Owner

I reported faulty crossfader 2 weeks ago and They doesn't respond yet:-/ I'm in love with mixer but this crossfader "thing" is sad. Moderators? - Should I send them another ticket or what? Oh, and i figure out that in my case left side doesnt cut when i touch tip od crossfader knob. If i push knob to cut position it does work in 99%. But what point of figuring it out...:-/

14. Ravencourtboyo

Ravencourtboyo New Member

Ticket#2013042810000335] Same issue for me. I have opened a ticket regarding the cut-in time on the crossfader. The Z2 has excellent features but the cut-in is not good. So I will be glad when NI resolve this xfader as the feel is so important.

15. Dj Vortex

Dj Vortex Forum Member

I was sent a replacement fader except the cut out is only when you touch the side-wall.

I've been emailing native instruments back and forth and they still won't send me a 2nd replacement. I'd be happy if they just sold the mixer 100% working instead of making me chase down properly working parts.

16. fella

fella NI Product Owner

This!
    That's why I returned mine, had this and some other issues too.
    You can : wait for N.I. to send you a fader within specs (if they do according to you they won't)
    Or replace the fader with a Innofader Pnp which costs you extra money and you will loose your warranty.

Good luck!

17. Ravencourtboyo

Ravencourtboyo New Member

NI contacted me and said they will send a replacement crossfader. I have been very impressed with the service thus far. I will post another message when I have received it and it is in my mixer.

18. Dj Vortex

Dj Vortex Forum Member

NI send me a replacement crossfader and it stopped the bleeding but not the cut in. Now they refuse to send me a 2nd replacement and want my mixer back to "inspect" for 2-3 weeks.

Has anyone here received more than 1 replacement fader in their quest to fix the fader problem?

19. Innofader

Innofader Forum Member

Hello DJ Vortex,

Please clarify the problem. You said:

"I was sent a replacement fader except the cut out is only when you touch the side-wall."

then

"NI send me a replacement crossfader and it stopped the bleeding but not the cut in."

I can help track down what's going on. My sense is they may want the mixer back because the crossfader issue might have to do with something in the mixer.

Elliot

20. Dj Vortex

Dj Vortex Forum Member

Sure. I bought my z2 and the fader has a problem. It would bleed sometimes. Sometimes it wouldn't cut the audio when the fader was pushed to one side. It would however, cut the audio out 10-15 seconds later during those times when it was being difficult.

NI sent me a replacement fader and the bleeding/delayed cut out was solved. Now the only problem is this sidewall cut out point. I'm now curious to know how much distance there should be from the sidewall to when sound is cut out on a perfectly calibrated z2.

Total number of xfaders sent out has been 1.

Hopefully this can be solved because I love the mixer.