Solved Custom UI — button vs. label: 1 pixel x/y image position offset?

Discussion in 'Scripting Workshop' started by Sebastian M. Purfürst, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:27 PM.

1. Sebastian M. Purfürst

Sebastian M. Purfürst NI Product Owner

Hi dear experts,

I am working on a UI for a new instrument (Kontakt 6 / MacBook Pro/Retina Display/HighSierra). I'd love to blend the background and a couple of buttons seamlessly.

It seems to me that buttons always have a 1 x/y offset when I try to position them. I did a couple of test, comparing labels and buttons with the same image. I can clearly see the described offset of one pixel in x- and y- position. Am I missing something — or — is this offset something I have to keep in mind when designing buttons / knobs etc. I attached a pic with a very simple comparison. Thanks so much for your help in advance.
    Sebastian
    +++
    Offset.png

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Yes, that's how it is unfortunately. There is no workaround for buttons/switches/menus, they will always be offset by (1, 1).

3. medusa

medusa NI Product Owner

In my experience only ui_switch does this, not ui_button or ui_label.

4. Sebastian M. Purfürst

Hi EvilDragon, thanks so much for getting back! Yes, it * is * a bit unfortunate, but at least I can continue working and think about a workaround in the design process… Just out of pure interest — is this some kind of legacy thing?

AND thanks again for all your amazing support across the forum — you are legend:cool:!

5. EvilDragon

Switch and button and menu all do it. This is very easy to test: instrument header is 68 px tall.

upload_2020-3-27_14-32-3.png

upload_2020-3-27_14-32-45.png

upload_2020-3-27_14-33-49.png

6. EvilDragon

Yeah this was the case ever since we got pixel positioning of UI controls in Kontakt 4.

7. medusa

medusa NI Product Owner

Ah right, sorry.
    Confusing it with another, related issue, in which a switch is one pixel smaller than a button set to the same size.

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 09.55.34.png

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sebastian M. Purfürst

Sure! Thanks anyways!:thumbsup: