Ddj sx2 timecode

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by Stuart Bullock, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Stuart Bullock

Stuart Bullock New Member

2. djinet

djinet NI Product Owner

Hi Stuart,

I had that controller a few years ago: Pioneer DDJ-SX2 working with Traktor and DVS.

Pioneer DDJ-SX2 is a Serato certified controller, what makes it, at the beginning, a controller for optimal use and, in the case of DVS or Timecodes, exclusive with Serato DJ Pro software

With previous versions of Serato, with a small modification in the Windows Registry key of the software, the 4 channels of the sound card could be activated/enabled.

Then. Serato lock it. I had to buy the dvs expansion:
    https://serato.com/dj/pro/expansions/dvs?dvs=dvs-ready

But it was worth it. I had it working with both applications (each one has particularly excellent functionalities). And I like to be aware of how the different software of higher rank evolve.

Definitely. You need the DVS expansion. Once activated, open Serato, you will hear the sound of disconnecting and reconnecting the DDJ-SX2, that will indicate that the 4 channels are enabled. You can close Serato and now you can open Traktor and configure the entries to use the timecode (traktor manufactured vinyls, logically each brand with its application).

I hope I've been helpful. A greeting.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. Stuart Bullock

Stuart Bullock New Member

Thanks for your response,

Been out the country and only just had chance to give it a go.

It does sort out my soundcard problem, but give me a new one. As soon as I get it working as a sound card I can’t use it as a controller. Even if I re import the tsi the A’s soon as I turn on the sx2 and back on it works as a controller and not a sound card?

It’s not too much of an issue I’ll be getting a s4 soon.

Thanks again.

4. nitraktorni

nitraktorni New Member

Hi there, thanks for sharing this,

Do you remember which previous version of Serato this procedure worked on? Also, do you know how to do it?
    The DVS expansion is not available for my ddj-sx1, that´s why I´m asking.

My setup: DDJ-SX1 + Traktor 3 + Traktor vinyl mk2

Many thanks

5. djinet

djinet NI Product Owner

Hi nitraktorni,

Sorry, but the procedure explained above does not work with the first version of your controller model, that is, with the DDJ-SX1.

It is technically impossible. The built-in sound card of this controller model has only one input. No hack, no expansion pack.

Therefore you could complement with an external sound card like the Traktor A6:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/traktor/digital-vinyl/traktor-scratch-audio-6/

With this device you will be able to play TCV, taking advantage of 1) your Pioneer DDJ-SX1 as a midi controller and 2) Traktor A6 as sound card (internal for turntables and as sound to speakers and headphones).

I hope it helps you.

Regards.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dj_estrela

dj_estrela NI Product Owner

if it works with Serato, it will work with Traktor (with the right timecode )

7. djinet

djinet NI Product Owner

Please, @dj_strela, do not create more confusion with this topic, especially with nitraktorni. He has made it very clear:
    "The DVS expansion is not available for my ddj-sx1, that´s why I´m asking."

I have had both controllers and I know what I am talking about.

Just because you've been able to get any of your controllers compatible with Serato work with Traktor doesn't mean it always works. When we talk about brands and certifications, it's not mathematics, even with Traktor version 3, which is no longer closed to DVS certifications and allows any sound card with corresponding inputs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nitraktorni

nitraktorni New Member

Thanks for a clear answer. At the moment I´m only using one timecode vinyl though.
    According to Native Instruments in this article https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000499717-Which-Audio-Interfaces-can-be-used-for-Timecode-Control-in-TRAKTOR-PRO-3- , the minimum requirement for DVS to work is one input, which I have. :)

This video shows what happens when I put the needle on the timecode record: https://streamable.com/3jn167
    Is that the same issue or no?

edit: notice how it skips forwards and backwards in the song. Don´t mind the high input warning.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  9. djinet

djinet NI Product Owner

Well, if the use that you are going to give it is for a single turntable, with an input it is true that you have enough.

But you must understand that for vinyl lovers, playing music to the old school the normal thing is to mix with 2 or more turntables. And if Native Instruments support tells you the above, they are also prompts to use 2 or more turntables, but they should look good, pointing out the minimum requirement. Do you know about a mixer, controller or sound card with a single phono input? What you are doing, for me, is like if you wanted to listen to music through a single speaker. Of course, you can. But enjoy, you will not enjoy at all, it´s not the same.

Regarding the problems that you explain, understand that we are here to help in whatever way we can, but we are not fortune tellers

And we hope that the answers as professional as we could offered, but we would like people receive and give them use with same level, for example, not for only one turntable. This is like wasting time and missing the answer.

If you are, for example, using the line output of the turntable and are inserting it into the phono input of the controller, it could be one of the reasons why it gives you "High signal". But I insist, i am not there to see the equipment and the installation that you has.

10. nitraktorni

nitraktorni New Member

Regarding: DDJ-SX1 + Traktor 3 + Traktor vinyl mk2
    I solved the issue by buying a Traktor A6 instead. More about the setup in this thread:
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/ddj-sx1-traktor-3-timecode-vinyl-mk2.414757/

11. djinet

djinet NI Product Owner