1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

DDM4000 and Traktor 3.3 configuration

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by piotrpbx, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamthedj4u

iamthedj4u Forum Member

Wow.... Mass Confusion.

2. dj_blitz

dj_blitz NI Product Owner

I want my timecode on 1 and 4 of my mixer and tracktor internal on 2 and 3 but can't seem to get it to work that way

3. nicoljcraig

nicoljcraig NI Product Owner

Aye, you need 4 outputs on your interface. one for each deck. are you using four decks? or two decks two traktor?

You can use the ddm as an internal and external mixer. depending if you use midi. My advice is to use it in external mode, dont bother using the traktor eq's, and if you want to use traktor effects, but with knobs/buttons etc, you can assign them to the microphone or sampler section.
    ---
    aye, to put any signal into any channel simply takes you moving the cables at the line outputs. so put traktor out on your interface to channel B, and go into preferences to output routing.

4. dj_blitz

dj_blitz NI Product Owner

ok just a little confuse so from my audio 8 cable just swith the cables amd then change the outpute in preferences if i'm correct

5. DoubleFuss

DoubleFuss New Member

thank you very much everybody, tomorrow morning i'll buy the audio 8 dj!

6. DoubleFuss

DoubleFuss New Member

With 4 out i can have the monitor for every decks?

7. fonem

fonem New Member

Future dj needs input DDM4000

Hi all. I am new to the NI forums here. I have been doing a lot of research here at work (bored and figured I'd do something constructive). I bought Traktor 3 this summer and love it. I've started to compile a nice library of tunes and have been recording my own mixes, but I feel like I've outgrown Traktor's usage of controlling everything with a mouse and keyboard...I need a better way of mixing. After a lot of web surfing, I think that the DDM4000 would be a good deal for my budget. I've been reading this post as well as other forums to try to piece together my setup. This is what I have so far:

Asus laptop running Windows XP SP 3 (32 bit)
    2 GB RAM
    Dual Core AMD 64 2.1 GHz
    Traktor 3
    AKG K 81 headphones

This is what I'd like to get (if it works):

Behringer DDM4000
    Audio Kontrol 1
    2 - KRK Rokit 5 Gen 2's

From reading, I think this will work out, but I'm more confused on the setup. I'm sure when the time comes to setup my .tks file and configure my MIDI controls, I'll be re-reading this post, but I don't want to buy these components without making sure they are all compatible and easily connected.

What I want to do is have as much control placed in the DDM for mixing, effects, EQ, etc. Tractor will be used for track selection and visual reference only. Now, looking at the components, I'm trying do visualise the setup. Without having purchased the hardware, I don't have manuals for a guide.

What I can assume is that my laptop will route into the Kontrol via USB. From there, I take it I can feed my 2 pairs of stereo outs from the Kontrol to the DDM as well as the MIDI (out or in) to the DDM for MIDI control. But, the Kontrol uses 1/4" TS(TRS) and the DDM seems to only have composite L and R inputs. Are there conversion cables that are recommended? Am I not seeing something? Furthermore, I am routing my sound from the DDM to my monitors...correct? Same issue there. Composite outs on the DDM to 1/4" TS(TRS) on the RP5G2's.

** Do I even need the monitors? I am not writing my own music...yet. Just compiling and recording mixes. I'd like to do some live shows here eventually. **

Thanks in advance for any input. I hope I gave out all the details needed to eliminate additional posts...hehehe. I tried to learn from others' mistakes. This will be my first rig, so I'd like it to work the first time.

8. nicoljcraig

aye
    ---
    Aye. In external mode you split the signal at your mixer using the PFL buttons.

9. nicoljcraig

Hi there,

Firstly, you need a midi interface for midi functions. So both out AND in. Think the audio kontrol does that as well.

You will need composite outs for the mixer obv. In the line outs. But you should be able to get a converter. Dont know why they have used those outs, but a numark dj/io audio interface does the job pretty cheaply. but you would need a separate midi interface.

monitors? depends on what your doing. if your absolutely banging out tunes then you might need them but if your in your bedroom or something, just your speakers would prob do. and obviously monitor in headphones using pfl.

hope that helps.

10. fonem

fonem New Member

Okay, so by a midi interface, what are we talking about exactly? Is this an additional piece of hardware? Or are we talking software? I was under the impression that I'd just have 2 MIDI cables installed...one from the OUT of the Kontrol to the IN of the DDM4000 and then one from IN of the Kontrol to the OUT of the DDM. I wouldn't use the THRU on the DDM unless I wanted to hook up another device (ie. a keyboard or something), right? Then the MIDI signal goes IN/OUT to my PC thru the USB cable on the Kontrol. Am I understanding the signal flow correctly?

Attached Files:

11. Mike W

Mike W NI Product Owner

What i did if you want to use the DDM4000 as a MIDI controller, is hook the MIDI cables up to the mixer, then plug the other end (it should be a usb) into your computer. Make sure to set on Traktor the MIDI signals going in/out, or it wont work.

Another thing is, you have to program the buttons for the mixer through Traktor, i dont remember if Traktor comes with the TKS settings for the DDM4000, but i manually programmed mine. When your using a part of the mixer as MIDI, you have to go to the MIDI settings on the DDM4000 and change it how you like.

12. fonem

fonem New Member

That's fine. That is what I would like to accomplish, using the DDM as a MIDI controller. I was just confused of how to wire it all together, and make sure that I didn't need extra hardware/software. So, is there any need to wire the MIDI ports on the DDM to the Kontrol? Or do I just need to feed the audio?

13. nicoljcraig

Yes. Your midi and audio signals are separate. You need both for both. The interface your using, Kontrol, can act as both audio and midi.

So hook up midi like you said: out to in, in to out. And hook up audio with composites.

But like the other guy said, any part of DDM your using as midi (e.g sampler, mic section) you have to go into midi settings and select: 'x'.

Hope that helps.

14. fonem

fonem New Member

That's what I needed to know. Thanks all for your help. Once I get all set up, I'm sure I'll be revisiting to tweak my setup.

15. DoubleFuss

DoubleFuss New Member

Sorry everybody, i've read all the forum but the crossfader doesn't work.
    I've got a ddm4000 working as an external mixer, an audio 8 dj and a bdc3000. I've setup the crossfader in the ddm's console setup and activated the audio 8 dj in the midi setup of the traktor pro. The midi cable goes from the midi out of the ddm to the midi in of the audio 8.
    thank you a lot

16. nicoljcraig

Do you want to use the crossfader in Traktor or externally? I use mine externally so the 'x' in the DDM midi setup has to be UN-ticked. And CF button on (above crossfader) and decks assigned - either a or b.

Have you got a midi cable that connects both DDM midi in & out to both Audio 8 midi in & out?

(please forgive the confusing language) it should be - ddm midi in to audio 8 midi out, ddm midi out to audio 8 midi in.

17. nicoljcraig

Hey guys,

quick question. Can you use traktor scratch (including timecode vinyls) with any interface? Or does it have to be with Audio 8?

Also, I want to use two channels timecode decks and two channels regular traktor. I guess I need eight composite outputs right? two for each channel. Will the audio 8 do this? Will the audio 4 do this?

Cheers!
    N

18. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

fail

no, you don't. it all depends if you are going to use an external mixer or not, and even so, it still varies depending on how you want it configured.
    how in the hell would you figure the audio 4 could be your solution when you think you need 8 composite outputs?

are you daft?

have you done ANY research at all?

fail x2

Oh and BTW, this is a thread for the DDM4000 and Traktor 3.3, located in the Traktor 3 subforum. Why are you posting a Traktor Scratch question here?

fail x3 aka EPIC FAILURE

19. nicoljcraig

Aye I have, so no need for the lip.

Many apologies for that, I must admit, I don't spend all my time on the forums.

Well, If you want it more easily explained. I'm using it as an external mixer, using only the mic and sampler sections as midi controls. I want to have the timecode decks into channels 1 and 2. Then, traktor decks (ON SCREEN) on 3 and 4. My main question was about whether traktor scratch ONLY works with Native Instruments interfaces. And yes I'm a muppet for not realizing that the audio 4 doesn't have composites. I'll buy glasses.

Satisfied?

20. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

Nope.

You didn't do any research. You're lying, or you just haven't figured out how the internet works.

Your question has been answered about 3,561 times in these forums, and it's written in plain english on the product page.

Not only that, if you don't speak english, you can have the website translate into your native language, but unfortunately for you 'bullshit' isn't one of the options.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.