1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Does Maschine make it too easy?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Bonus Beats, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

I just got Grey Forge and literally just sat there using a few of the kits and patterns and made some thing that sounded like it would be a typical house or techno release, not meaning typical as in run of the mill, you would here in any good DJ's set it sounded perfectly mixed and had interesting sounds the only thing it would have need was some scene's and scene variations and I could see myself recording out some pattern and scene play then chopping that up adding sfx mixing it down and wrapping it up.It makes me wonder have things gotten too easy for us in this era of time? If so why do we all complain about ______ ?
    It literally took me about 3 1/2 minutes to make a fat groove.

2. panten

panten New Member

Without hearing your track I'd speculate that what you've created is something so run-of-the-mill and generic sounding that you may as well not have bothered. What may have taken an artist weeks or months of lovingly crafted sound design and composition in the past has now been bottled and shipped ready for instant consumption and regurgitation.

If 'average' is your target then don't worry but it sounds like you want more. Why don't you try taking those sounds in the pack and try to create something new and fresh. Post results of both :)

3. LowPass

LowPass NI Product Owner

it can be easy if you want it to be. The danger of making a track 100% out of pref-fab kit is that there's probably countless others who have done the same thing.

Taking the easy rout rarely gets results though. I've nothing against the expansion packs by the way, i'm quite happy to fart about with a kit and see what I can make. But I just treat it as fun and practise.

For an actual tune i'd rather put in a good amount of my own sound design as well. Or at least gets sounds from different sources.

4. de wouzer

de wouzer NI Product Owner

I think NI is making it almost too easy. And I love it.

Indeed, sometimes a groove can be made by loading different sounds and samples from packs together
    it's awesome. A good base to go to the next level with it

5. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Using premade patterns without altering them much or at all will always be too easy, won't it? Fair enough if that's how you enjoy making music and how you want to do it, but it is arguably the easiest way of creating a track (i.e., letting someone else do most of the work ;) ).

As per my signature, presets and samples i.e., the bricks and mortar: fine. But premade loops and patterns without truly making them your own? No, thanks. It's like a generic B&Q kitchen or bathroom. You may as well use Dance eJay*.

*Note that even good tracks could be made with such a thing as Dance eJay if sufficient effort is made to be creative with the material.

6. davemacp

davemacp NI Product Owner

Its easy to make something, always has been, but its damn hard to make something brilliant.

Also, you mention still needing to create scenes and then arrange the riff. Well, to me and a lot of others, thats is BY FAR the hardest part of making a song. 8 bar loops I can create all day long. Complete songs, thats a whole other story...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Both very good points. I concur.

8. LowPass

LowPass NI Product Owner

indeed, agree completely. in fact one thing I use the pre-made kits for is to practice arrangements and edits. I can just fire up a kit and crack on, in hope that when i'm working on my own stuff some of the practise rubs off and makes the process easier.

9. JokeY1993

JokeY1993 NI Product Owner

I dont like those factory kits, Most of the time what I do is browsing through the library and expansions, picking up sound for sound. So I start with the kicks for example, then browse the snares, and so on, 'til I have my own kit which I use as a start point for the groove / song.

Love the quality and variety of maschine's samples, so i use them neraly all the time.
    When I use factory kits, i always have a feeling like they want me to use the sound exactly the way I do. Gives me a feeling of restricting in my creativity

10. forestcaver

forestcaver NI Product Owner

I thought Fender, Gibson and Martin made playing guitar too easy, so I made my own.... take it as far as you want to stay happy ..... whatever makes you happy, interested and making music you like is excellent.... it's all good if you like it...
    Personally I'm not very good so am overjoyed NI have made it easy - I love it!
    :)

(Ps I did make the guitars, amps and stompboxes for the satisfaction of doing it from scratch - and I'm crap on the guitar as well as on Maschine!)

11. de wouzer

for some reason, when people make a product or service easy to use, there are always people that are against it. Like it takes away some skills. I see this as resistance for development. It can change the target or quality level that we had, and set it to a further position.

I really like this video about it and I hope it is understood that we can make better music when the equipment is more developed and within reach of more people because of the lower price of digital gear.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JokeY1993

JokeY1993 NI Product Owner

Totally agree.
    Making it easy is not making it bad, it's making it easier to get into it and gives you a start point from where you can evolve and grow your skills. It's just everyone's choice how much of this 'easiness' they're comfortable with.
    The great thing is, most of the time you can go the easy way, but don't have to.

13. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

I think you've got it right, maschine excels at taking 3 1/2 minutes to make a fat groove, but after that....

14. de wouzer

what do you do after that?

I combine different grooves (made in 3 minutes, or sometimes 2 hours) and mix them into a live set.

15. listedcities

listedcities NI Product Owner

Do people actually use the kits this way? I certainly don't. I only use the drums, multisampled instruments, and sounds for Massive. I never use the premade patterns or phrase samples, and assumed most others avoided them as well. I can't imagine the satisfaction of making music with packs of loops and phrases.

16. de wouzer

I don't use the patterns, just the sounds as a basis for new sounds. Many times I open different kits and take the best sounds out of it. Then I add them all (including sounds like leads and bass) in one group. I create my own patterns from scratch.

17. jms3music

jms3music Member

I concur that is can be "easy" to make music by just loading an Expansion or other Maschine-formatted kit and adding a few effects and loops, but that can also be the challenge. Taking the available tools and making them one's own is what can make one person's music stand out when compared to someone else's music, even if they are using the same tools.

18. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Now I'm interested in your fat groove. Let us hear.... ;):):)

• Like Like x 1
  19. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

i don't make live sets i write songs so usually I just do the sound design in maschine, then take what I create there into better compositional environment like either ableton, an mpc, or an ipad and write from there.

20. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

You can make it is simple as you please; that's an individual choice. I think beginners would be happy with something like that, but as one becomes more experienced, it would probably not be satisfying enough to leave it at that. Then again if one were working to a deadline for TV or film, it would be fine to leave it at that, if a client needed it there and then. The fact that Machine sounds are so well produced, and fit together well does make it easier, but since the jobs of writing, composing, producing, mixing and engineering have been bundled together in one person (for many), maybe that's fair enough. I suppose it all depends on the what one wants to get out of it: peer respect, paid bills, learning, fun serious art , etc...

• Like Like x 5