1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Double trigger on 1st beat counting in?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Just A Dawg, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Just A Dawg

Just A Dawg NI Product Owner

Yo, what's good? (Got a Maschine MK3 and latest Maschine 2 version)

I noticed that when I get counted in (1 bar) and I hit a pad or multiple pads right on the first beat they got all triggered twice / doubled.

They're not doubled when played back but always when counted in. That problem just started today, never happened before...

Does anyone know a fix or is this known?

When I wait a split second after the first beat the pads do not not get triggered twice... only when I hit them right on the first beat.

2. Just A Dawg

This happens with Grid turned off btw.
    I tested it with multiple kits in different projects and it's the same doubling problem...

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

4. Just A Dawg

- iMac, High Sierra latest version
    - MK3, Maschine 2 latest version
    - monitoring via headphones
    - count in is 1 bar

The problem persists no matter what drum kit or sound I use. I tried different sample rates and buffer sizes, no change.
    Correction: After trying multiple times: It doesn't matter if GRID is turned on or off. I get the doubled sounds with both...

Thanks for the link D-One . I'll report the bug.

For anyone trying to test this:

Set Count In to 1 bar and hit a pad right on the first beat of recording, maybe a split second before the first beat.
    Do you hear a doubled sound?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  5. Just A Dawg

Can anyone else confirm or deny this problem / bug?
    This is really game breaking... can't groove when your inital pad hits get doubled accousticly. Throws my whole rythm off.

6. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the info.

I tried a bunch of times and eventually, I was able to consistently reproduce. If a hit a Pad about 1/16 before the downbeat I do hear a doubled hit although it's not recorded as two hits, it's like Maschine auto quantizes the first hit to always be in the 1 when you hit the Pad too soon because the recorded MIDI data is placed exactly on the 1 (downbeat).

It kind of makes sense but can be annoying, IMO this should only happen when we have "Input Quantize - Recording" ON (which is not my case).
    For this to happen the timing must be considerably off, I have bad timing and only noticed this because of this thread. Personally it doesn't bother me but I can see this being a problem for users who record/play live.

tagged as a bug.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Just A Dawg

Dope, thank you!
    Yep, it's like i said, the sound is being played twice but recorded once and played back as one hit.

For me it's pretty annyoing because I like to hit multiple pads on the 1st beat and I'm not that accurate with timing on the first beat hit which is why I tend to hit my first pad a little to early and get those doubled sounds... and it's driving me crazy sometimes.

If the problem itself turns out to be a design flaw and not a bug it would be great if all pads could be muted by default / automatically before recording starts. This would mean you can't play on the pads during count in but at least no doubling which I find a lot more problematic.

8. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

The first note of a recording will be quantized to the downbeat of the first bar if it is less than 16th before the one. This is by design. However, it should not be audible where you hear two notes. Seems like a bug. For now, try not to rush. Always better to play behind the beat than too early.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Just A Dawg

Alright, thank you. The quanitzation is not really a problem for me but the fact that it is audible is really annoying. I'll work on my timing but it would be dope if this bug could be fixed.