1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Emotive Strings presets

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by René must be Unique, Feb 6, 2019.

1. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

With this plugin are three presets that do not work as expected.
    Arpeggio Arranger (4th + 8th Notes)
    Arpeggio Arranger (Triplets)
    Arpeggio Arranger 16th Notes

Normally you can change phrase with the keys C0 - E0
    This is not going well with these three.
    If you go from C0 to C # 0, the phrase will stop playing.

Can this be solved by yourself, or is this software problem?

René

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

All work fine for me as long as you use Chords, if you use a single note nothing happens from the 2th to the last Keyswitch; I am not sure if that intended or not.

3. René must be Unique

I should have been something clearer.
    Play a chord on your keyboard, and hold it down.
    By default, phrase is set to C0, and the phrase is played and repeated.
    Now press C#0 while you are still playing the chord.
    The phrase now stops playing. I think this is not good.

Now do the same thing but start with C # 0.
    If you press the next button D0, D#0 and E0, you continue playing. I think that's good.
    But even if you choose one of the other phrases after the E0 and still playing the chord, the vst no longer plays.

There is a workaround,
    By playing / triggering the chord again with every change of C0-E0. But that does not seem to me the intention.

I will read the manual of this vst tomorrow, to see if there is anything to find about the deviant behavior of these presets.

For now I think it's a bug in the presets.

René

4. René must be Unique

D-one, you want to try this for me.

Rene.

5. D-One

This one is more complicated than it seems Rene...
    Yeah, on those 3 specific presets if the first Key Switch (C0) is active and we then press any another one the arpeggiator stops, however, the reason it stop's is the combination of specific Phrases and the order in which they are trigered, which is odd...

For example, in the next picture, I changed the Keyswitch-3-D0 to play the same Prase as Keyswitch-1-C0 (4th Notes Phrase) and started the chord with D0, it also makes the Arp stop so it's not related to C0/1st Keyswitch specifically, it's related to what is the starting Phrase and also what is the second Phrase.

[​IMG]

Regardless of the keyswitch note if a Phrase starts with any of the Prases in the next picture and also has one of those during a sustained MIDI chord it causes the arp to stop. (I didn't test them all, there's way too many, I don't get enough snickers to waste a whole day testing)

[​IMG]

I don't know enough about Music theory and notation to be able to know if there's a valid reason for this to happen, but I doubt it, sounds like a bug to me but someone more musically trained will have to confirm.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  6. René must be Unique

D-one thank you for trying.

Have already gone through all presets, and only these three presets show this behavior.
    It is of course not possible that if you give a performance and use this plugin, it stops the music while you play.
    That seems like a bug to me.
    Furthermore, I searched even further and came across the following.
    With the first phrase the chord option is missing.

arp1.PNG
    arp2.PNG

And that is why the apr preset stops playing.
    If you replace the first phrase for one with a chord option, it works just like any other preset.

René

7. D-One

I was talking about all the possible phrase combinations, not presets.

No, it's not missing and it's not what's causing the playback to stop, to debug a problem you have to consider all possibilities and understand the functions.

The blue Chord thing is there to let you know that for that Phrase the plugin expects you to play a Chord triad (min or maj) at the very least; if you don't and just press one or two notes then nothing happens and there's no sound.

[​IMG]

Here is what is actually happening, it's quite simple:
    You can't transition from a 'normal Phrase' to a 'Chord Phrase' during the same sustained MIDI input to the plugin, you can only do it the other way around. The workaround is indeed to play the Chord again on the Keyboard.
    This will happen in any preset.

I doubt this is intended and it does sound like a bug to me, it's certainly annoying but consider that if the Input is not a Min/Maj Chord sustaining it and changing to a 'Chord Phrase' wouldn't work, regardless when it is, it should.

Marked as a Bug.

• Like Like x 1