1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Enable master limiter?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by princesultan, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princesultan

princesultan Forum Member

When should I be enabling this?

2. DJ Phatso

DJ Phatso NI Product Owner

This is to prevent your main output signal from clipping.

It is ON by default, and I would suggest leaving it that way all the time.

3. djmgj

djmgj NI Product Owner

or you can always watch your levels, disabling it saves your around 5% of cpu load.

4. switchbladex

switchbladex Forum Member

This is what your VU meters are For, the lighter Load on your CPU if you are running Windows will mean Less Jittering within the software.

5. djmetaphor

djmetaphor Forum Member

This is an amazing tip! I had never even seen the master limiter button before!

I have my output levels from TSP through the audio 4 set to peak at about 0 DB on my mixer, are these good levels?

6. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

i dont use the limiter - the sound gets flattened soooo much, it really sounds bad and muddy. better equalize by yourself reasonably.

7. mrgasket

mrgasket NI Product Owner

I like the master limiter on to keep the signal sent out from being too hot if I slip up. But if you let it go red more than just slightly, it'll send out a chopped off signal like native_girl says. The master limiter doesn't relieve you from managing your levels. You've still got to control them, especially during transitions, to keep from going hot. What the master limiter does do is show you when you're hot and keep the output signal under control. From various posts I've read, it seems like most people using it wind up with the master output set to something a little less than 0db for best results.

8. switchbladex

switchbladex Forum Member

I have Seen a Fair Amount Set the Limiters Way down and use EQ to Punch the Crap out of the Bass. Mostly Jungle DJ's though. And Maybe Pete Hook LOL

9. djmetaphor

djmetaphor Forum Member

I dj'ed for a few hours today with out it, It seems like autogain less less effective with it turned off. But ill keep it turned off and start using the gain controls on my mixer :)

10. djmgj

djmgj NI Product Owner

START using the gain controls on your mixer? am i the only person here who started out playing vinyl? the kind with songs on them, not a high pitch squeal ;)

11. trat

trat Forum Member

Why would you use a limiter when playing out tracks? You have gain controls for that on your mixer. It will not make all tracks sound evenly loud so you would still need to use the gain controls...

12. kourampies

kourampies Forum Member

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.