Extremely warped records

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by dimitrik, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

Yikes!

*sigh*

Please post your support ticket # once received.

2. triune

triune NI Product Owner

ticket number:

TS 107600

3. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

holy sh*t!

forwarded...

4. djdivide

djdivide NI Product Owner

Hello Peeps,

It's been a month and still no TS replacement :-( Here is the message I got:

Hello XXXX,

I have informed the sales department to send you two new Control Records
    immediately.

Please excuse the inconveniences and let me know, if I can be of any further
    help.

Best regards,
    Andreas Buff

NG, PhiLL, any chance of a chase up? My number is TS 104642

Any help much appreciated! Many thanks!

5. djquartz

djquartz NI Product Owner

@ DJ Divide

Your info has been forwarded as well.

6. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

If you are in the U.S. then you can also try calling U.S. support on the phone and they can get directly to your support Ticket number to check the status.

What happens on our end is that the head of Support Marius monitors our requests and has asked us to take care not to escalate routine requests as it means he has to go chasing down stuff in normal process. His preference is to handle this kind of thing when it needs attention. IMO yours is not routine matter now BTW, one of several reasons being that you have been waiting a month now.

As Quartz say it has been escalated You can wait to see what we find out or try to get disposition from U.S. Support Let me know by PM is you do the latter.

Phil

7. triune

triune NI Product Owner

I called NI's USA support number today and they immediately placed a free order for replacement vinyl which they said I should receive early next week.

This being my first time to call their tech support, I was very impressed with how quickly they handled my problems and resolved this issue without even asking any questions.

Biggups NI.

8. PhilL

PhilL Moderator Moderator

egggcillint! Let us know when the records arrive.

Phil

9. djdivide

Cheers for the help everyone - they got right back to me with a promise of a replacement!

Nice one guys, you are all a credit to NI!

10. djdivide

Arrived today - and flat as a witches...hat that has been under a heavy object.

Well done NI, and cheers for all the help here too!

11. triune

triune NI Product Owner

pity my replacement took a while longer than djdivide's, but they did arrive albeit completely flat and ready to be scratched!

12. djsuperflo

djsuperflo Forum Member

I heard from someone that if your records are warped, put one between two pieces of glass and into the oven at a warm temperature. The heat will melt it slightly enough to normal flat shape! I have not tried this but it could work!
    Also my way of cleaning vinyls:
    -Fill the kitchen sink about half way with warm water and mild
    soap
    -Dip record in sink
    -Clean along grooves with fingers or soft cloth
    -Rinse
    -Damp dry with lint free cloth
    -Presto! Like new!

13. dimitrik

dimitrik Forum Member

Glass idea didn't work for me....

I tried the glass idea with my warped vinyl since I figured there screwed anyway and I guess it's a good test to see if the glass idea works for possible future problems with other records.

I didn't put it in the oven (good luck finding two pieces of glass that are big enough for a record and small enough to fit in the oven.) I used an iron with a towel underneath it. It did actually help and did remove some of the warp BUT not enough to make it playable the arm would still go flying if you tried to scratch and TS could not pick up a good signal and it popped and clicked while playing. The main problem with the glass idea is that the spindle/label area of the record is actually thicker than the played area which doesn't allow the glass to completely flatten the vinyl.

If you put your vinyl between two pieces of glass and look from the side you will see that the played area of the record still has room to warp since the glass does not flatten it completely. The other problem I had was that the vinyl itself has some sort of damage it's hard to describe it kind like a small layer of areas of the vinyl we're gouged out. So even if it did flatten completely I would have still been out of commission. It's hard to see the damaged areas you have to have a shine on the record to see it. If your in a regular lit room you won't see it. You have to put it under the light so the light reflects off of it.

What I did do well I was waiting is use my FS vinyl to play TS I had to up the pitch to something like 25% to get the right playing speed but it worked. I actually posted a mix in the "mixes made with ts" thread which I used the FS vinyl to make.

It took 29 days from getting confirmation that I was getting new vinyl to actually get it. There was a shortage on replacement vinyl though and that's why it took so long. All in all I'm pleased with my purchase.

Thanks NI..... and the moderators that helped.........

14. DJDigger

DJDigger New Member

Update

Just wanted to give you posters an update. The guys at NI have been great and I now have all the tech issues resolved and can now focus on getting this puppy going. Preliminary tests look like this is going to be everything I hoped/expected when I got the X-grade but will let you know with an upcoming post.

Thanks NI support.

Digger

15. progen

progen NI Product Owner

It's almost five months since the last post in this thread but is it still possible to get replacements from Native Instruments? It's going take ages for me to get them via the store (even if they're willing to help) because I'm in Malaysia and ordered the set online from a dealer based in the United States.

Got my set sometime in August 2007. Used it exclusively with CDs then until now when I decided not to let the two brand new SL1210 MK5s in my new workplace go to waste. Set up the cartridges and everything, popped on the vinyl and whoa! The cartridges went on a roller coaster ride. I don't have the white specks on mine but both of them are quite badly warped. If I happen to backcue on the part which curves upwards, the cartridge will be sent flying at least half an inch to the side. :(

16. dj-bjuk

dj-bjuk NI Product Owner

Hi there, I have the same problem with my records. I bought them in a swiss shop and haven't open the package because I flew one week later to new zealand. There I tested my records and my system in a club and had a terrible trip through the night...

since there I haven't used the records anymore... Where can I send the request for new records?

17. DJ Freshfluke

as quartz pointed out in one of the first postings of this thread, this is the way to go:

a) If you got it from a store, de-register your TS and take it back and make them exchange it.

b) If you ordered it from NI, file a support ticket, post the ticket # here and one of us will forward the issue.

18. dj-bjuk

dj-bjuk NI Product Owner

i'm not in europe any more... i'm now in new zealand and stay there by mai next year...

19. DJ Freshfluke

you can still contact the shop and check how to do it with them...

20. octagon

octagon New Member

warped too...both records,so im going to try phoning NI today...
    also i need help with setting up because although it looks easy enough...when i did it according to instructions all i get is this horrible screechy sound when i did try placing the needle on the warped records,so i think i need to go through a set up with a pc,as i use xp,and a dell dimension pc atm,p4..well good enough,but as im a first time user of TS..im hoping i dont have everything set up right...and it will be a simple thing someone can help me to sort out...;)

otherwise im wondering if the whole interface itself is faulty too...:eek: but im sure its a set up issue..where can i get help for this pleeeease?

i cant believe i did all this lastnight..and couldnt try out the timecoded vinyl..thats gotto be the fun part and point of the whole package...i can play the mp3s on my pc fine though thro the traktor 3le...but need help working out how to get the sound coming through when i use the vinyl.
    previously my system was just set up with line in and out comin from my pc,1 to amp..and 1 to 2nd master of my mixer so i was able to play my dex thro the pcs soundcard...pls let me know asap anyone whop can help.thx;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.