1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Firewire 800 drive super slow in 3.2.0.085

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR 3' started by fabriknos, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fabriknos

fabriknos Forum Member

Ok, strangest thing I've encountered in Traktor DJ Studio 3 on Mac yet. Previously I was using a Firewire 400 enclosure that contained my music collection, and my Stanton ScratchAmp 2 daisy chained to the enclosure. Seek times were pretty slow - expanding a list of folders, for instance - so I decided to upgrade to a Firewire 800 enclosure so that browsing files would be faster in Traktor. Unfortunately the opposite happened, and now Traktor is taking in the neighborhood of 1 to 3 minutes to expand a folder with 50 albums in it! Granted, the folders all contain FLAC files - but it never took this long with the Firewire 400 enclosure and there is no way Firewire 800 should be slower than 400.

The theory with daisy chaining Firewire devices is the fastest device should be closest to the computer, and slower devices chained to it. So that's how I have it set up - ScratchAmp 2 with FW400 to FW800 cable to Rosewill RX81 enclosure, enclosure with FW800 cable to MacBook Pro. Thinking the ScratchAmp might be the culprit due to the slower bus speed, I disconnected it, launched Traktor with only the hard drive attached, and the performance didn't improve any. Also strange, is if I access the hard drive through the Finder, the response is near-instant: a group of 200+ folders were expanded in a matter of seconds. So I know the drive is ok, the enclosure is OK and the speeds are where they should be. So why is it Traktor is taking this long to access the same files? Is it building an index, or caching all the FLAC files contained in one top-level folder? I don't think that's the case, because when I close and reopen Traktor, and expand the same folder again, it takes just as long as it did the last time. I couldn't see any preference settings in the program related to external hard drives, caching, etc. So that's why I'm here on the forums again. Please help!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. fabriknos

fabriknos Forum Member

Update: I never mentioned but the drive was formatted NTFS. While doing some research on this problem in the forum I found another guy had the same problem with his FW800 drive which was FAT32. When he reformatted to Mac OS Extended the problem went away. I'm going to try that and report back here. But in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas why the slower FW400 drive (which was identical in all respects... NTFS, 500GB) didn't have nearly as bad performance in Traktor as the faster FW800 drive? I really can't wrap my ahead around that one... why the interface itself would cause something like this.

3. fabriknos

fabriknos Forum Member

Formatting to Mac OS Extended did the trick. Near instant results. I feel like a noob now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.