[Guide] - Cubase + Maschine MIDI Routing & Integration

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Jun 14, 2017.

1. bilposey

bilposey NI Product Owner

Been looking for this thread had to screen shot this that thanks for bump n

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Since there were small changes a while back I updated the written tutorial so everything matches the current Maschine version, 2.6+.
    If anything significant changes in the upcoming v2.7 I will update the video as well.

*EDIT* Nothing changed as far as MIDI/Audio settings in 2.7 so there's no point in updating the video for now.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  3. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

You p
    U put in alot of hard work!

• Like Like x 3
  4. BlackTMinister

BlackTMinister NI Product Owner

Great tutorial D-One, and the update is appreciated!
    With this tutorial, Maschine Jam on the desk and KK MK2 having Cubase integration now, I think I can set it all up to be a very powerful and inspirational production system! Gonna spend some hours on it today.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jesus Pardo

Jesus Pardo New Member

Really fantastic tutorial
    Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. D-One

:D:thumbsup:Thanks, Jesus.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dopplgngr

Dopplgngr New Member

D-One, thanks for this awesome tutorial, helped me to get 90% of your use case in Bitwig: all works fine with MIDI track triggering Maschine. But playing Maschine pads will not send MIDI data to be recorded in Bitwig DAW. Q: Does anybody know how to setup the Maschine to Bitwig MIDI routing?

8. D-One

Are your selecting both the Bitwig MIDI track and corresponding Maschine sound/group?
    Does it happen on both sample groups and instruments?
    You can try experimenting with Sound>Output>Destination

9. Dopplgngr

Dopplgngr New Member

Yes, selecting both MIDI track and Maschine Sound and it happens both with groups and instruments. In channel 1 with "Maschine" all sounds are audible and VST light signal indicates Maschine creates MIDI out when hitting pads. But in the channel 2 "MIDI only" these MIDI signals from Maschine never arrive - but when playing drawn notes this channel correctly sends MIDI out to Maschine channel.

I experimented with 2 different methods:
    - As you did with Cubase: channel 2 receives MIDI input from channel 1 Maschine and returns MIDI out to channel 1 Maschine (I tried both MIDI from track and device signals - only the return path from DAW works)
    - For testing: channel 1 sends MIDI Out directly - these signal arrive in any other channel I pick, but it doesn't even show 2nd "MIDI only" channel with return routing to Maschine as if Bitwig tries to avoid MIDI feedback loops... (and no Maschine Audio anymore...)

10. Dopplgngr

Dopplgngr New Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. brionfi

brionfi New Member

D-One,
    Thanks So So much for putting this together.. and I really appreciated the part.. "here's what to expect" portion you did up front!"

But Yikes -_-_- I had a bit of an issues.. even after going back and trying this a few times I still can't get Maschine to play nice with my Logic ProX.. What am I doing wrong? I really want to get to the point where I can write with Machine w/in Logic.. It would make my life a million times better.. b/c the linear arrangement style of Logic would help be get song completed so much easier!

Other issues I notice after it would not work quite right..
    - I lost the functionality of my Midi controller keyboard - how should it be wired in this new config?
    - I was getting error messages in Logic that the midi sample rate in Machine was not syncing with what I had in Logic...

Am I to far gone? Can anyone help with directions on how to get this set up on Logic Pro X, Thank you in advance!!

12. ocrana

ocrana New Member

Thansk so much for the tutorial. It helped me a lot. Everything works fine for me. I only have one question: Imagine, I choose 16 sounds, setted all up but then I decide to replace some sounds. If I do this, all the settings for each sound I have deleted are gone. Is it possible to create a kind of template to keep all the settings anyway if I change sounds or not? This would be great, because I often choose some sounds and while working on a track I notice: "Oh no, that sounds not that good, let's check some other files."

Thanks in advance and again: very nice tutorial and very important: relaxed and great explained.

13. D-One

No problem :)
    It depends on how you replace the sounds. Make sure you have +Routings disabled and any new group/sound you load will not overwrite your current MIDI settings.
    [​IMG]
    If you reset/delete the sound it will lose all MIDI/Audio routing.

You can save the group to load it later but only the Sound MIDI settings are saved, the Group MIDI Input is not. So you can save a group template that has half the work done but you will need to edit the Group MIDI Input manually.

14. ocrana

ocrana New Member

That's true :) THX again!!!
    Cheers

15. grouchee

grouchee Forum Member

Just want to confirm.. For each group you use a different channel?
    A1 - Channel 1
    B1 = Channel 2
    C1= Channel 3
    as you add groups increase Channel?

what do you usually do if you surpass 16 audio outs? Do you start putting sounds on the same channel where it makes sense?

Great video BTW, I have to watch it a few more times for it to stick...It seems like a lot to route from some reason, thanks!!

16. D-One

Yes. Each sound or group you want individual control of needs its own MIDI channel.

You could put some sounds on the same channel if that works for you, i tend to stick with 16 and anything extra i just add a regular DAW track. Some people have multiple instances of Maschine but that tends to overcomplicate things...

At first, it seems like a lot, once you fully understand the logic of how and why things are connected like they are you will do this super fast.

17. ldwyze

ldwyze NI Product Owner

Props to D-One... BUT... for serious producers who might have a huge project using MULTIPLE banks, kits, sounds, etc... do you really want to sit there for days just routing stuff between Maschine and Cubase. This is why a LOT of people have been asking NI for better integration with DAWs for YEARS. It has to get easier than this.

18. D-One

A serious producer would create template's so routing things over and over isn't necessary.

The problem is only the user can know what midi channels to use, what might need their own audio channels and there are many other options that cant be automatic. There's no full production suite out there as a VST that can be automatically routed, there's a reason for that. It's easy to ask for "better integration" the hard part is "How?"

The only way to make super easy and fast integration would be if NI made a DAW that can read the VST-Maschine info and automatically assigned everything each time the user creates a group/sound... Or if NI collaborated with one specific DAW to make it happen, either option is very unlikely to happen. Remember that maschine is not a simple VST instrument, it's a full production suite, putting a production software inside another production software will always require manual routing.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  19. hellnegative

hellnegative NI Product Owner

Well this just blew my mind. Ive never been so excited in my life. I love NI (well the production side anyway :p)

20. Thorti

Thorti New Member

Hi D-One,
    I am just starting with Maschine but am using Cubase for a few years. Was watching your tutorial a moment ago, and was kind of impressed. Any chance you can upload those Cubase and Maschine Templates again. Would be very kind.
    Regards
    Thorsten