[Guide] Custom User Group "Expansions" with thumbnails.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Mar 15, 2018.

1. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

In other words, cannot be edited?

2. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

I think it's a SQL file. If you delve into it, it must be possible to adjust it.

René

• Like Like x 1
  3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

It's possible. (although just creating a new image with a transparent background might be easier)
    Go check what's the HTML color code for the color you want: https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp, (if you want to be super color accurate so it matches the image you're gonna need another method of identifying the color, like opening the image on photoshop)

Editing 3rd party or custom libraries background colors is easy, just edit the color.json file (preferably use a decent text editor aimed towards code) save the file and restart Maschine.

[​IMG]
    (the color is always brighter on the hardware, not sure why)

For NI stock stuff it's more complicated and requires using a SQL browser/editor, a free one will do, like this: https://sqlitebrowser.org/dl/
    Open the app, Go to File > Open and select the color.db, select the Browse tab, search for what you want to mod paste in your new color code and hit apply, save the file and restart Maschine.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

You are the man!

5. D-One

6. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

Lol and still not for Win

7. D-One

Python is not OS dependent, you just have to install it and run a command, cant be that hard.

8. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

It just doesn't work on Win7 though. For whatever reason.

9. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

10. D-One

I think after installation you just have to tell windows where the python.exe is when executing a script.
    Some other things are different too, Windows uses a \ to separate folder paths and OSX uses /.
    For example, this command on a mac
    Code:
    ./NiMBank.py -p "My Product name" -b "My bank name" /Users/Username/Desktop/MySampleFolder/*
    Should be this on Windows:
    Code:
    C:\Python27\python.exe C:\Users\Username\Desktop\NiMBank.py -p "My Product name" -b "My bank name" C:\Users\Username\Desktop\MySamplesFolder\*
    (the command above asumes the script is on the desktop, named NiMBank.py, python version is 2.7, if it works or not idk...)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  11. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

this is exactly what I did...I installed python 2.7 (also Win7 w/ SP1). I also unchecked "Read Only" on the folder and sub folders. No luck. Isn't this pretty much what the GUI you made was doing as well?

12. D-One

Well... I tried, after a bunch of messing around I wasn't able to make it work in Windows either, I have no idea why.
    Yeah, at the time the GUI application worked for me in windows but other users reported it didn't.
    If you really want to make it work your best bet would be asking in a Python/development oriented forum.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LordJ

LordJ New Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

I have been playing around with this and it appears on Win, the Wildcard Character (*) is not accepted. (I also tried the normal *.* and *.mxgrp) but when I specify the group filename (chicken.mxgrp) it works perfectly. Basically its not allowing "Batch Processing" of all group or sound files and is doing it "One off"... so if you modify the example D-One provided above as follows:

Code:
    C:\Python27\python.exe C:\Users\Username\Desktop\NiMBank.py -p "My Product name" -b "My bank name" C:\Users\Username\Desktop\MyGroupFolder\chicken.mxgrp
    if the file is successfully modified, a single Period "." will be output to the command terminal...that appears to be the only indication that any changes were successfull... easiest way to check is to run nimbank with the -l (dash ell) flag and it will show you the changes.

I am still messing around with some of the new features, but my testing was done with Python 2.7 (Python 3 generated all kinds of errors) and the newest version of Nimbank (2.6b). Will post anything strange or different I find in regards to Windows.

Forgot to mention, when installing Python, there is a Customization option to "Add Python.exe to Path" change that to "Install this feature" and you will not need to type in the full path to python.exe every time.

Peace,

Blindeddie

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RobLo

RobLo NI Product Owner

Awesome.....so there's hope! Lol

Thanks for the info...gonna mess with it again

• Like Like x 2
  16. Moose73

Moose73 New Member

This tool is amazing. However, I think I added a blank expansion group inadvertently! So now when I browse from the MK3, the sub groups listed under the Expansion group are one Expansion group off. For example, if I browse Expansion Group "Test1", I get the subgroups in Expansion Group Test 2

D-One (or anyone else) do you have any idea on how to delete that blank group?

Attaching an image
    Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  17. LordJ

LordJ New Member

Try to rescan your library.

• Like Like x 1
  18. D-One

I've seen this problem reported by another user here on the forum once, here, no solution on thread tho.

I would try temporarily removing your custom Groups from the library to establish if they are the cause first, then go from there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moose73

Moose73 New Member

Thanks D-One ! I think I resolved it some how, but not sure how I did it, actually!

20. D-One

Oh, cool. Maybe the latest update fixed it?