Have Mikro Mk III, Rather Have Mk III???

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Brian Hecker, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Brian Hecker

Brian Hecker New Member

I just picked up the Mikro Mk III last week but really would rather have the Mk III. Just don't think I'll be happy with the Mikro, since in the past I had the Studio and really liked it.

Am I crazy and should just stick with the Mikro?

2. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

It is my opinion that you will not be happy with the Mikro if you want to do a lot directly from the controller. A lot of things need to be done directly in the software. I have a Mikro and wish I had shelled out the Dough for the Big Rig... again, just my opinion!

Peace,

Blindeddie

3. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

if you can afford it, buy the maschine mk3. you'll never have to look at your screen or use your mouse/keyboard while "beeing creative" and lay your ideas down / jamming and so on...my maschine stays in my backpack whole the time (i use maschine daily for about 3 hours in the train...).
    the mk3 for me is "more portable" then a mikro, because for "producing on the road" with a mikro, you'd allways need your laptop to be visible i think....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian Hecker

Brian Hecker New Member

Ithought I wouldn't mind using the mouse and keyboard with the Mikro but I really don't like it. I'd rather have access to all the goodies on the controller.

I agree, for me it slows my workflow if I have to use the mouse and keyboard, when I could just be tweaking some knobs on the MK3 and it's all right there in front of me.

Thanks for the opinions!!:cool:

5. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

as soon as you get used to the mk3, there's no way back to the old way of producing with mouse, starring at the screen and all that. have fun mate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Brian Hecker

Brian Hecker New Member

Can't wait!!! Now I have to get rid of the Mikro.

Cheers

7. Brian Hecker

Brian Hecker New Member

Picked up a mint MK3 for a nice price. Looking forward to getting it next week. Now to sell the Mikro MK3.

8. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

Shouldn’t be too hard to sell , especially now midi mode is included, a nice controller for the price.

9. Brian Hecker

Brian Hecker New Member

It shouldn't be too hard to sell, it is a nice controller as well.

Also have a M32 showing up tomorrow, I wanted a smaller keyboard so I'd have more room on my desk and I don't really need anything bigger. I've got a 61 key launchkey mk2 in the closet if I need a bigger keyboard.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AL’DREAD

Cool , the m32 should compliment the mk3 nicely, I’ve got a mikro mk3 and kkmk2 49 , they work well together, I used to have a studio , and was gonna get a mk3 , but opted for the mikro because of desk space , also have a jam

11. Brian Hecker

Brian Hecker New Member

My MK3 arrived yesterday and man I love it. It's taking me a bit to get used to the workflow using it but it beats having to use the mouse all the time. Now I know why I enjoyed the Studio when I had it.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Brian Hecker

Brian Hecker New Member

Guess I could start a new thread but I'll ask here first.

How much % wise can you get away without having to look at your computer screen when using the MK3?

I noticed the last few times when I've had time to work with the MK3, I get in a zone and don't want to look up. I've noticed that I have to use the mouse and keyboard because either a) I don't know the MK3 well enough or b) maybe it has to be done with mouse and keyboard. Off the top of my head I can't remember what those things were. LOL

13. AL’DREAD

When I had the studio , after a few months of using it , I stopped using the monitor, to force myself to use the controller for everything, I think the only things I couldn’t do was , save as , and quit maschine.
    some things are quicker using the mouse and monitor, like arranging scenes and some editing, but it is possible to do 100% from the controller

14. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

It really depends on the user, what you use specifically and how organized one is but id say you can totally make tracks without touching the computer, about 90%. Some things do take more effort to do from the controller though.

Try taking notes when your making music then ask away.

15. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

for my way of "working with maschine" (just a hobby), i only need to use mouse/keyboard/pc-screen for the following tasks:

- naming things (incl. the first naming of a newly created project)
    - rearrange groups (this will come to the hardware if NI's announcements in the sticky is right)
    - make adjustments to recorded automation (there's no way in doing it from the hardware, besides re-record everything and delete everything...right?)
    - close maschine

so to giva a direct answer to your question: i do 95% of everything just from the hardware (laptop closed and in backpack).

edit: i mostly don't use any other samples than what maschine or komplete brings. but for "own sample import" i'd probably need mouse and monitor too, because i am not going to import these sounds "the right way" (so they show up tagged and so in the browser)...

16. Brian Hecker

Brian Hecker New Member

Thanks AL'DREAD!! I'm trying to do as much as I can without looking at my monitor which helps with me being able to get my ideas down quicker.

Thanks D-One!! I will have to get out my notepad and start taking notes. I'm slowly figuring things out, haven't had much time to really sit down and just dig into it.

Thanks b-r@nno!! Naming things was one thing I did come across that I'd like to be able to do on the controller.

Speaking of samples, I probably need to fix all my tags own my samples cause I'm pretty sure I didn't do it the right way a few years ago.

17. Brian Hecker

Brian Hecker New Member

One thing I was wondering, can patterns be renamed on the controller? I didn't see any way of doing it.

18. AL’DREAD

You can adjust automation in step sequencer , it doesn’t show the automation lane on the controller tho , just the plugin , so you can see what your controlling and the value.
    Jams good for this , but the lack of screen mean you need to use the monitor

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  19. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

no, nothing can be (re)named on the mk3 controller...nothing! thats why i made a feature suggestion that at least an empty group gets automatically named after the plugin you load in...

• Like Like x 1
  20. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

thanks for this. but let's say i only use mk3 controller, my computer is in backpack: i record an 16 bar pattern of a synth-rise and let's say i record "AUTOMATION" (let's say a filter cutoff, that goes from 0 to fully open in the first 8 bars, and then some "wobbling the rest of the pattern"...

what will i see in the "step sequencer" if you tell me i'm not going to see the automation lane...."...and what can i do within mk3 hardware to adapt/fineadjust my automation?.....(sorry for a maybe silly question...but i am not infront of my system now)...

and i do have both: a JAM and an mk3...so maybe you can enlighten me as to how I / you can deal with recorded automation....because i never was able to do any sort of adjustment rather than just re-record or delete the whole "automation-mess"....