How does one know when an update purchase is needed?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Steve St. John, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Steve St. John

Steve St. John New Member

I purchased the upgrade to KC Ultimate Collection on March 31, 2021.

Are newly released instruments also automatically added - or is that what I would need to purchase an Ultimate Update for?

(i.e. I have Session Guitarist Picked Acoustic - but do not see Cremona Quartet nor East Asia. I have Action Strings but not Action Strings 2. )

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

As far as I know - no. That stuff will then maybe be part of Komplete 14 CE or ultimate maybe.

Uwe

3. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

No, new instruments (and expansions) get released but are then available for individual purchase. Eventually they may become part of the next Komplete release which you can then upgrade to for a discounted price (discount vs. the full new price).

For example... Electric Sunburst deluxe. It got released when Komplete 12 was still a thing and was an individual purchase. However.. owners of the previous Sunburst were entitled for a discount. Fast forward to today and it has become part of Komplete 13.

Which is why it's always a good idea to weigh your options when new things come out... do you buy it right away or wait until the next Komplete gets released.

4. Chris Tobias

Chris Tobias New Member

I have been caught out by this approach by NI.
    I have purchased individual instruments between Komplete releases, but do not get any discount to the next Komplete reflecting these purchases. Their model actively discourages loyal customers from buying the individual instruments as they are released. Absolutely crazy.
    I own Komplete 13 Ultimate, and would expect (with a title like that) that at least some of the new releases would be added to the ULTIMATE package automatically, but no. And then even if we fork out additional money for these - Native Instruments gives us nothing for these when the next ULTIMATE is released.
    It even states for many of these new instruments that they are 'Product type: KOMPLETE Instrument' - which I think would imply it was part of the Komplete license (particularly ULTIMATE and COLLECTION) - But no. Sad.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Steve St. John

Steve St. John New Member

Thanks for the insight, Chris. It does kind of seem that way. But if I fork out the discounted $250 to UPDATE my Collector's Edition 13 now (just 3 months after my last $500 update), shouldn't I get everything I'm missing in my COLLECTOR'S EDITION (i.e. Cremora Quartet, East Asia, etc.)? I would think so... but am looking for qualification on that point. Guess I'll call my Sweetwater guy on this. It is all very confusing.

6. Chris Tobias

Chris Tobias New Member

That depends on the listing for Collector's Edition. If East Asia is listed then yes, you are probably right. I can only really comment on KOMPLETE, to be honest. Where the word 'Komplete' (yes, I know it is with a K not a C) does not mean complete at all. Not to mention the additional ULTIMATE added as a suffix.
    I had Komplete 12 Ultimate and purchased Noire, Sunburst Deluxe and others, but on upgrade to Komplete 13 had nothing acknowledged of these, even though they were a big part of their advertised new features. I still had to pay the same upgrade charge.
    EAST ASIA is not listed as part of Collector's Edition, so you would have to pay extra for that - and then on upgrade to Komplete 14 that will be listed as a new feature and you would have to pay again.

CREMONA QUARTET is listed as included though - and it is absolutely lovely, I must add.

7. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

I can definitely follow your line of reasoning and even like it, though I don't necessarily agree. Because... wouldn't "loyal customer" also imply that you're familiar with the sales model?

And there's something else to consider as well: you don't have to upgrade to the same release if you don't want to. Something another forum user did: they want from 12UC to 12U (or regular) because they already owned a lot of the individual instruments and didn't see much value in the rest of the upgrade. That is also perfectly doable, and will also save you extra cash.

Of course... I do agree that a "Steam approach" would be nice: more discounts based on what you already own.

8. Chris Tobias

Chris Tobias New Member

Very wise. I could just not upgrade to the latest version of my bundle - it is my own weakness that drives me to say on the latest one. ;)
    It would be nice if there was at least a small discount per additional product. When I upgraded Arturia V Collection from 7 to 8, I had in the meantime purchased an OBX synth, which meant that my Collection upgrade was a little cheaper to reflect this purchase. Not the total difference in value, but just a small discount.
    However, I do think that being a loyal customer may mean being aware of a given sales model, but may not agree with said model - but just likes the product.

9. rAC

rAC NI Product Owner

You could sell the extra licences of the instruments you bought separately.

10. Chris Tobias

Chris Tobias New Member

Yes, you are correct, I could sell them - although that is not quite as easy as it sounds. My point isn't whether this technicality exists, but rather that I believe Native Instruments should encourage and better support customers who are purchasing additional licenses for their products. Many other companies, many much smaller than NI, offer this simple mechanism to provide a fairer model.

11. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

It is questonable what is fair and what not. Many companies do not allow licence transfer, or ask pretty much for transfer. NI is very relaxed in this way.
    It would be cool if NI would discount the price in case of purchased additional products, but it would mean, that one could buy it only at NI shop. It would mean sending the discs all over the world, .....
    There is so many plugins in Komplete Ultimate or even KU CE, that one may wait up to two years till it is included in newer version of KU. I do not buy separate products, and wait. I use what I have, I cannot have all plugins in the world anyway. And it would require several lives to be able use it, anyway....

12. DeepThumb

DeepThumb NI Product Owner

I second that: Even the "cheapest" upgrade does not provide more lifetime to use it or makes my music better just by "owning" it.
    I know it's challenging and quite hard to ignore all fancy bargains and opportunities. Sometimes I'm to weak ... :oops::rolleyes:

13. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

I experienced few times, that I felt like this or that plugin is must have. Mostly I resisted to buy it and waited for upgrade of Komplete....
    And when I finally got it, I tried it few tines and not used anymore.....

So, the main is to have suffitient portfolio to make music. More and more plugins does not make my music better and better. It may even make it worse and worse. One spends time by fiddling with plugins instead of making music....

There are many great plugins and libraries. But it is similar with real instruments. If I buy stradivari it will not make me great violinist. Buying every other plugin does not make me good music composer..... Less is many times more.

But yes, it is challenging to resist all those bargains and opportunities.

• Like Like x 1