1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

How should I use Maschine with Kontrol

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by William Patrick, Feb 3, 2019.

1. William Patrick

William Patrick New Member

Hi Sorry to bother, I am new and I have a question for anyone who would know, how do I use Maschine MK3 with Kontrol MK2 61, is the program I am suppose to be using Maschine software or the Kontrol software, if both how do I bring my Kontrol made music into the Maschine software.

it seem that the Kontrol S61 intergrates with Maschine when I launch it, but not vice versa....

sorry a noob here who just wants to make a few beats for a couple of games I am going to be making.

P.S.
    https://blog.native-instruments.com/5-essential-tutorials-for-the-new-maschine-and-komplete-kontrol/
    "USING MASCHINE AND KOMPLETE KONTROL TOGETHER"

I seen the above video, I am wondering what the point of Kontrol software or should I just be using the maschine, any light on this would be helpful.

Thanks and kind regards

William

2. William Patrick

Ok well I finally managed to get it to work, apparently I need to set the Kontrol as a midi controller in maschine... that was very annoying, yet I am still not sure which way I should be using the midi controller setting, paid for 2 different tutorial and look on youtube and it always about mixing it with other daws not just maschine, at the moment I would be happy just to learn maschine and kontrol and stay in here, still not sure about the setting thought, should the midi be komplete kontrol - 1, komplete kontrol Ext - 1, or komplete kontrol daw.

3. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Mixing tutorials apply also to maschine only the layout is different so it is possible. But I prefer for example to mix in cubase for some reasons like that audio is then bounced and finished otherwise I would even change things/instruments/arrangement while mastering. Is there something specific you want to know?

Uwe

4. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Komplete kontrol sw can be used on its own or in a daw
    Maschine works on its own or in a daw
    Komplete kontrol keyboard works in maschine and controls the maschine sw ( it doesn’t need to be in midi mode for this )
    Maschine doesn’t kontrol the kk sw
    Both can be switched to midi mode to become a midi controller, maschine can be mapped via controller editor, kk handles this in kk software and it’s not as mappable as maschine.
    Komplete kontrol 1 is its usb midi , activate this
    Ext1 is the midi ports on the back
    Daw is for daw control
    You can switch them all on if you want

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. m911

m911 New Member

I also have the KK mk2 and Maschine mk3 combo too, that was beautifully nutshelled Aldred, I'm new as well to NI products and just over this first hump. I'm used to Ableton which I've been using now for the last three years or so, always learning. What would make this smoother is a help system like Abes where you can open a window with tooltip like information for all the controls, something that can be closed and hidden for when you're sure and opened for when you're not.

I pretty much keep my pdf reader open at all times when in Maschine for now :p eventually it all gets memorized, but definitely a labor of love.

• Like Like x 1
  6. motionscreen

motionscreen NI Product Owner

My advice: Simply learn to control Maschine software with your MK3 and use your Kontrol only as a keyboard if you need keys. Asides from that there is not much you can do with Kontrol anyway. You´ll simply have a different set of displays and another way to input notes than using pads. At least this is true if you are using Maschine software as your sequencer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. William Patrick

Hi All, thanks all for your help you have all cleared thing very well for me.

I am also using the JAM and have done a tutorial course on that as with the MK3, now I guess I need to start learning to put songs together and move from there.... as I now know how the software mostly works, I will do what Motionscreen said and use the Maschine as my DAW... thanks Uwe, Aldred and Motionscreen for helping me and replying.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

I can't help but think of some of the longtime users, and hear in my head that tune they play in Jeopardy.

After so many days users discover they can't do X,Y, and Z.

What is a non-DAW?

9. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I actually still don't get when you would use Komplete Kontrol............anyone?

10. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

You can use it in a DAW with NKS compatible instruments to browse presets with previews.
    It's also very handy for aasigning parameters and automation because you can see the actual parameter names on the screens (for the S series keyboards) instead of the generic CC values.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tempsperdu

If you have Maschine are there instances where using KK would be preferable?

12. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

KK is lighter on resources because it's basically just a plugin wrapper.

• Like Like x 1
  13. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yeah. There are some software and hardware reasons, I got an S-MK2 so I can only speak on that model, off the top of my head:
    • Using it in DAW like Reefius mentioned would be #1 reason, it's built for it so it's pretty much plug-n-play, no dealing with all the MIDI/Audio routing annoyance of Maschine, KK is much more practical in every way.
    • It's remote script / advanced integration for supported DAW's is adequate and doesn't feel as unfinished as Maschine's where on a MK3 the Pads became useless even though they are the biggest part of the controller.
    • It's easy and fast to jump between instances from the controller.
    • Has bit more advanced Smart Play functions like inversion/position for Chords & Arps, offset, retrigger, range etc...
    • Doesn't t need any complications in order to use the transport controls neither loses functionality (like maschine loses the erase button)
    • Can display keyswitches with colors for Kontakt instruments so you know where everything is just by looking at the keys.
    • Normal keyboard advantages like bigger note range, proper mechanical bend/pitch wheels (mk2), dedicated preset change buttons, etc
    • A KKS mk2 keyboard can be focused on a different menu than an MK3 for example (for Maschine software) this gives you more controls accessible at one time like having the keyboard in the Mixer Menu while Mk3 is on another Menu.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. muitosabao

muitosabao NI Product Owner

What do you mean with this?

15. D-One

Let's say you're in Live and using the keyboard to control KK with an instrument, press the "Mixer" button and the keyboard jumps to the Integration script and immediately displays Live's mixer with visual volume feedback so we can adjust Live's levels, the tiny mute/solo combo works with the top buttons, the keys work unlike Maschine's pads, etc, when done just press "Plug-In" and your back to KK mode, it's more seamless and overall just feels right when switching from one thing to another.
    Of course that KKS having fewer buttons it was probably easier to implement but still... It doesn't feel 'broken' like Maschine, it seems like NI only did half the integration script then abandoned it for no apparent reason.

• Like Like x 1
  16. muitosabao

muitosabao NI Product Owner

Gotcha. Same with the JAM on bitwig, you can jump in and out of midi mode, thus controling Maschine (VST instance) or Bitwig (via script).

17. tempsperdu

Thanks for that D-One, I'm only just starting into DAW land so hadn't found any use for KK as yet. Damn I wish they'd do proper support for Reaper.

18. D-One

No prob. What do you mean proper support? Reaper is like Bitwig, it has an API for scripts, theoretically, anything can be integrated as i understand it, do some digging http://www.mossgrabers.de