How To Assign Instrument Cc Commands Into Sonar

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by DJ Wolf, Sep 8, 2017.

1. DJ Wolf

DJ Wolf Member

I'm using Spitfire Audio instruments in Cakewalk Sonar. Selecting Sonar's controllers gives me Volume (CC 7) and a few others I'll not be using often but I want to insert into my midi track a controller for Dynamics, vibrato and at a later date for articulations. I found dynamics within the NRPN option and chose it for Track one. Thinking that this ranged from 1-127 I chose a value of 65 only to discover that instead of a "middle of the road" value, the dynamics setting was dragged all the way to the left towards 0.

All the info I have found is about how to trigger CC changes using keyboards etc but nothing on how to input an instruments special features into a midi track in a DAW. What is the range of these NRPN values and is NRPN the way I should go? I don't want to bother people but if someone could point me to a fountain of knowledge I would appreciate it muchly.

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

You cannot use NRPN for MIDI learning in Kontakt (as it uses 3-5 CCs instead of one to do its thing - all Kontakt will see is a bunch of different CCs and act accordingly as if they were CCs, not NRPN!). If you right-click a control in Spitfire libraries, it can tell you if it's already assigned to a particular MIDI CC. All you need is use that same CC in piano roll, to affect that control.

3. DJ Wolf

DJ Wolf Member

Evil, sorry to be a nuisance, I've found the Control panel in piano roll and I've done the "Learn ACT" in Kontakt although I'm not sure what that did. When mousing over the "Dynamics" slider I see at the bottom of Kontakt in the info pane that Dynamics is set to CC103. When I try to choose a control in piano roll, CC103 isn't there - it's just the standard MIDI allocations.

4. EvilDragon

I guess that just means you need to add another CC lane and assign #103 to it?

5. DJ Wolf

DJ Wolf Member

Is there a manual or a tutorial or something that explains how to do this? I created a new control lane. I chose "new value type". I saw values ranging from "1-modulation" up to "95-phaser depth". I typed in "103-dynamics" and it did nothing. Clearly, I am missing a step here.

6. EvilDragon

What if you just type 103?

It has to support these basic CC numbers. You should probably be asking these questions on Sonar forums, not here...

7. DJ Wolf

DJ Wolf Member

Thanks Evil and you're right.