1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

How to start 2nd track's downbeat on time?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by mikehende, Oct 27, 2017.

1. mikehende

mikehende Member

Hey guys, I can use some help from you experienced pro's on this please. Back in the day using 1200's I was accustomed to finding the downbeat of the incoming track, hold it and give a slight push at the downbeat of the outgoing track but I am having problem with "when" exactly to click on the incoming track with the downbeat being ready, any tips please?

Also, does traktor's Sync button work like some controllers when you keep hitting the Sync button it will try to match the beat on the fly or is that sync button only to match the bpm's? Thanks.

2. Lymedo

Lymedo NI Product Owner

The sync button aligns the beatgrid on each track.

Let Traktor analyse your tracks to create the beatgrid and hitting sync will “sync” them automatically.

You should also activate quantise and snap - the Q and S buttons in the master section. This means when you press play or a hotcue it snaps to the beatgrid and keeps everything in time.

3. mikehende

mikehende Member

Thanks, please bear with me a little as i go in baby steps to try to do things accurately, I am also looking at the manual. So I analyze all tunes in the browser/playlist, I click the BPM button to set in ascending order. I load first track in deck A which is 83.89 bpm then load a 2nd track in deck B which is 85.15. Do I first locate the downbeat on deck B's tune and set it at the red line or first hit the sync button on deck B to match bpm to track on deck A?

4. Lymedo

Lymedo NI Product Owner

Yes press sync first to match the BPM.

I’d also recommend creating load cue points on your tracks. By doing this, the track automatically goes to the beat you specify when the track is loaded to a deck. Do this my setting a cue point and changing the type to Load. You need the advance deck option enabled to see the options.

There are some great Dubstop tutorials on YouTube which should help you understand all this.

5. mikehende

mikehende Member

Cool thanks! I am seeing a lot of Traktor Dubspot tutorials on youtube, will look at them next week when I get the chance.

It's no biggie for me to find first downbeat of any tune I load.

Meantime, with the incoming track on deck B ready at 1st downbeat do you click the play button exactly when you hear a downbeat of the outgoing tune or do you click it like a 1/4 beat before the downbeat of the outgoing tune?

6. Lymedo

Lymedo NI Product Owner

If you have a good beatgrid / snap and quantise enabled then you can press play slightly before and the software will make sure the beats are matched.

Have a play around with snap/quantise enabled/disabled and you’ll understand how Traktor behaves.

7. mikehende

mikehende Member

Ok, running into a strange problem now, I load a 100 bpm track in deck A, when I load a 102 bpm in deck B and hit sync on deck B it changes to 170 instead of 100, any idea why that is happening please?

8. Lymedo

Lymedo NI Product Owner

Is deck A playing?

Are you using the the master clock as the tempo or are you using the on air deck as the master tempo?

9. mikehende

mikehende Member

Sorry for the late reply, yes deck A wasn't playing, going through some videos on Dubstop

10. mikehende

mikehende Member

This is a pretty decent tutorial here:

I have seen though that there times when you can press the sync button in a deck and it will start playing the track, can anyone tell me if there is a way to always have this happen please? This way I can set manually set the kickbass point of any incoming track and with the bpm already matched by clicking the syn button the first time then can hit the sync button again and have both tunes matched.

11. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

Depending on what musical style you play, it can be worth checking the beatgrid manually. Especially with "broken beats" like Hiphop, Dubstep, Drum'n'Bass e.a. it happens that the downbeat is not recognized properly, and sometimes also the tempo isn't analyzed right.

Are you using TRAKTOR or TRAKTOR Scratch?

12. mikehende

mikehende Member

Makes sense, thanks for the explanation. I am trying out Traktor demo.