1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

HP Mini-Note / Asus Eee PC

Discussion in 'GUITAR RIG' started by RhysPatto, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RhysPatto

RhysPatto NI Product Owner

Brilliant Andrea, thanks for the review.

Does anyone else notice *much* difference in Lo/HiQ? If anything i think it just seems to bring out more lows and highs, almost like its just a 'rock-smile' setup on a EQ panel.
    Sure I use HiQ atm because I can, but might run LoQ for a while and see how it goes.

Gee, although this setup is great and all, the Live view screenshot really makes me wish the NI coders would give us the option to not have a visible pedalboard in Love view, thats 2/3 of the screen! Useless for if a plan to make a floor stand for the Eee PC that will be practically right infront of my pedalboard anyway, lol
    ---
    A quick repost, I've just been trialling Lo/HiQ, and I actually notice a significant difference when playing through my performance amp.

This is quite a disappointed as that may foil my hopes of using a Eee PC functionally.
    Andrea, is there any chance I could email/send through a bank of main presets I use and you could test how they run on HiQ?

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  2. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

I think that's very cool -- the whole thing!

3. andrezuppe

andrezuppe NI Product Owner

THANKS GUYS!

Hi Rhys, yes you can email me your banks: andrezup@tiscali.it, I will test for you....

One more consideration, about ram: I'm crazy that I wanted to exceed in memory with my 2giga, but I think that 512mb ram could however not be enough to run our GR3 smootly and without any risk of issues on eeepc, unless you do an hard system optimization on your Xp.
    So I feel to suggest at least 1gb, (wich is also not expensive), but should give your system much breath to run your GR3 better (also considering eeepc's not fast cpu - celeron 900).

I think that Hiq mode is better for distorted sounds, expecially if you run ultrasonic amp, or in general guitar sounds that use high distorsions. HiQ on my ears enhances high frequences and give the sound clearer and smoother thanLoQ.
    But it could be only a personal taste about which mode to choose!

See you soon!

ANDREA

4. stormyandcold

stormyandcold NI Product Owner

5. stormyandcold

Just an update; eee pc 1000 has been announced!

This time with 10" screen, longer battery life (7hrs+) and bigger (upto 40gb) ssd drivers. No word on the cpu yet but we're expecting intel atom cpu's right now. These parts scale upto 1.6ghz but it's unlikely the 1000 will get this chip.

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=11578

http://www.anandtech.com/GalleryImage.aspx?id=2642

The price hike is to be expected for such a product especially with mainstream ssd's a few years away.

Next step will obviously be the new dual cores and via chips.

Expect better gpu's aswell with a low-end nvidia, ati or intel chip as a possible integrated part. Ofcourse, to run GR3 we're only interested in cpu speed and ram :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  6. stormyandcold

7. stormyandcold

To show performance difference between the pentium 3 and the new atom cpu's that'll be going into the next gen eee pc's;

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=61855&page=2

Also check out the eee box that WILL be using the 1.6ghz atom cpu...it's a bit faster than the p3 at 800, in some benchmarks but based on super pi, the pentium 3 in the original eee pc's still rule! Now, when it comes to actually "doing stuff" the 1.6ghz atom is a tad better.

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3321&p=1

Will be looking out for via nano cpu's in future eee pc's to compare :)

8. stormyandcold

Another update: 1.6ghz atom confirmed for eee pc 901 and 1000. I was really hoping the 1.6ghz version would be used, this actually makes sense as the eee box also uses this cpu :D

http://www.dailytech.com/Update+ASUS+Shows+Off+Eee+Box+B202+Eee+PC+901+at+Computex/article11947.htm

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11960

So the current max configuration is 1.6ghz atom, 2gb ddr2 ram and an 80gb hard drive.

With any luck Asus will allow overclocking of these new cpu's. 10% overhead is normal so expect to be able to get around 1.8ghz+.

Battery life is also expected to be between 3.5-5hrs.

9. Marc_S

Marc_S NI Product Owner

I am watching this thread carefully! I think it's really cool!

10. stormyandcold

Is gaming performance a concern?

I love gaming and this particular video really shows where the main differnces are.

http://www.eeepcnews.de/2008/06/07/video-eee-pc-901-benchmarks-grafiktest-und-900er-vergleich/

Remember though, this is probably due to 2 things;

1.new motherboard intel integrated graphics chip (GMA 950)
    2.Hyper-threading on the atom cpu. :D

For those looking to see what games will run go to www.youtube.com and search for eee pc gaming.

Battery life is extended by the ability to under-clock the atom cpu 50% (800mhz) plus we're looking at a 6600mah battery.

So, providing the price is right the eee pc 901 is actually comparable to the 900 but with slightly better graphics fluidity :)

EDIT; The video maybe mis-leading as someone has posted comparable video of the 900 running pc mark and the boxes drop fluidly!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUrdzFxTZ8o"]YouTube - eee 900 running graphics benchmark test of pcmark 05[/ame]

EDIT2; The software in the 901 can over-clock to 1.8ghz :) (as i thought above).

So in the end it seems the atom based eee pc is slightly better than the p3 based 700-900 series.

11. RhysPatto

Hey stormyandcold, any news on the Atoms and whatnot? I am currently using the Eeepc701 with GR3.1.1, works great with the new update, but could still be better.

A friend is interested in buying it, and i'm considering upgrading to the Acer Aspire One (w/ 1.6ghz Atom chip), reckon its a good choice?

12. andrezuppe

Hi Rhys, You have bought eepc in the end! :) How does it work with your presets?
    Sorry for my silence, I've got now an eepc 900 for my GR3! Very good the new lcd for viewing GR3 GUI... ;-)

PS. I'm very very curios about intel atom performances with guitar rig 3!

13. JayT

JayT NI Product Owner

14. andrezuppe

Impressive Nano! :)

15. RhysPatto

Hey, yeah the EeePC works good. So much better with the new update, but after a few hours use, noticed there is still a few artifacts here and there, and the loop machine/tape decks work now, but sometimes a bit unresponsive if the cpus high at the time.

Anyone know much about Atom? i read all these articles but dunno what to make of it. The Aspire One has 1.6ghz atom, compared to EeePC's 900mhz (not sure of the chip), would this be much of an improvement?

16. stormyandcold

We're going to have to wait it out before the situation becomes clear. No-one I know runs the 1.6ghz atom.

As for the Nano, theres clearly been more work done as it wasn't as powerful as the atom before. It's TDP will be interesting as the last time I looked it was somewhere like 25watts?

Anyone who's not desperate to get something should wait until Nov/Dec.

17. stormyandcold

£400 lappy from tesco's!

Hi again, so I searched for the cheapest laptop and finally came across a £400 beauty from tesco's.

Specs aren't bad, 1.6ghz core 2 duo, 2gb ram, 250gb hard-drive (5400rpm), 1280 x 800 12.1" screen.

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-5847.aspx

Such a laptop is much more powerful that the eeepc as it's cpu shows. The only downside to this lappy is battery life, which is around 90mins to 2.5hrs.

Graphics-wise it's no better than the eeepc, but, 2gb ram and a fat hard-drive is more than welcome at this price range!

Unfortunately, it comes pre-loaded with loads of crapware so theres some hd and cpu sapping stuff that will need removing first. It's also vista home premium.

For the features on offer though this a very viable, generously specced and cheap laptop...get it while you can! :D

p.s. forgot price comparison with latest eeepc 1000 which is £373.64 (as of 21st august 08). Compared to the Acer offering above, the eeepc has superior battery life and a quiet 40gb solid-state hard-drive. Unfortunately, we're guitar rig 3 users so in this instance I'd have to go with the Acer, it's just much more powerful.

p.p.s Apparently Acer don't provide xp drivers so xp users hoping to "downgrade" to win xp may run into problems.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  18. stormyandcold

19. stormyandcold

the search goes on...

heres another nice deal courtesy of cclonline.com :D

http://www.cclonline.com/product-in...medium=eshot&utm_campaign=NOT2372_Feature

Fujitsu Siemens
    Core 2 Duo T7250 2.0GHz 2048MB (2x1024MB) 250GB 5400rpm hd, 15.4 inch 1280x800 TFT, DVD-RW, Vista Home Premium (Intel GMA X3100), 4 usb, no firewire
    £389.97 inc VAT

Specs of this nature for around £400 is becoming more common so for first time buyers I suggest looking for the above Core 2 duo T7250. Graphics-wise it's pretty much the same again as the EEE pc. Battery life is 3hrs and under (most likely 2hrs+ under load). The great thing about this Fujitsu Siemens is that winxp drivers ARE available :lol:

Quick update regarding Toshiba brand laptops. Due to speed-stepping being locked on most (all?) Toshiba laptops some users have reported they're no good for audio production. You've been warned.

20. paillou

paillou New Member

Hey guys,

just wanted to share my results with an eeepc running guitar rig 3.

I use an eeepc 701 4G Surf (so with a "630 MHz" Celeron, 512 MHz of RAM). I installed winXP SP3 on a sdhc card and everything works fine. Once guitar rig installed, win + GR3 take 1,5 Go.

First I tried to use it with the kontrol rig. Like some people said, there is a 10 ms latency and can't play using high quality. Of course it changes when the cpu is accelerated to 900 MHz, then almost everything works in high quality but there can be some noisy peaks (apparently it happens when the processor can't follow GR3). Proc temperature around 55 °C.

Then I tried to plug an M-Audio JamLab and it's almost perfect. 8ms latency and I can use almost everything in high quality with the processor @ 630 MHz. When I reach 760 MHz, everything works fine with no "noisy peak". Of course it's not as complete as the kontrol rig because there is no pedal, but I'm sure there is a way to make it work with a pedal connected to the pc. Proc temperature around 50°C.

If someone has a trick to have a faster eeepc I'm interested, if I could run every preset @ 630MHz it would be awesome. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.