1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

iMaschine - Android Equivalent?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by dj_dunno, Sep 6, 2011.

1. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

So there's alot of hype today around the Mikro and iMaschine, but no mention of a similar app for Android? Is this something that will be coming in the future or are NI just assuming that everyone owns an iPhone?

2. ogeeditc

ogeeditc Forum Member

They will need to create a Maschine template that mimics the look of the hardware in the future....

3. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm cool with waiting for it, I'm just wondering if it is something that is coming in the future or will it be a flat out "no, it's not gonna happen".

4. hey_tommy

hey_tommy NI Product Owner

I'd like to know the exact same thing... And yes, I'm quite pissed about the fact that NI just completely ignored a HUGE possible user base. In fact I created a thread hours ago (twice, even), and for some damn reason it never got posted - so reposting message below:

Seriously, NI. This is Q3 '11. Android market penetration has matched (and exceeded) that iPhone's for over 6 months now.

How can you justify bringing a product to market but completely dismissing half of a possible user base? Especially when you've got an open field in the Android space, considering how few quality audio production apps there are for the Android?

I would at the VERY LEAST expect your announcement to state that "Android support is coming soon/later".. completely sleeping on such a huge device base just does not seem to make any business sense.

Do you have ANY plans to bring iMaschine to the Android platform? If yes, what sort of timeframe are we looking at? And if not, why in the heck not?

Tom

5. Thunderchief

Thunderchief NI Product Owner

Hi, thought I'd add my voice to request an android version. although there are some technical problems with latency with the android platform, I would still appreciate a version of this App for my phone. there is at least one simple App (xPiano) that does ok with latency, so I hope NI can figure something out.

Simon

6. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Lets be honest tho, NI wouldn't be the first company to act like the Android platform doesn't exist, which still puzzles me! I know more people runnin Droid phones now than iPhones, yet still iPhone users seem to get priority when it comes to apps and even app updates!

Just the fact it's called iMaschine just makes me feel like we are gonna be left disappointed tbh.... And I know there are some latency probs with the android platform which does leave us with a much smaller set of MIDI based apps, but I have used TouchDAW and a couple of others with enough success for them to be classed as usable.

So NI, it's down to you now. The question has been asked! Is it something that you have already considered or have you not even looked into it yet? Or is it really just a flat out no it's not gonna happen. Regardless of the backlash of annoyed Android users, an honest answer would be much more appreciated than the "lets just say this to keep them sweet" routine.

7. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

This is the first time NI have 'dipped their toes' in the portable market chaps. Now Android may have a bigger market share, but Apple doesn't suffer as much from hardware and platform fragmentation issues. I'm sure if it is a success (by which I mean not only Maschine owners buy it) it will come to Android.

8. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Yeah I get what your sayin and you have a point, but it is possible to set a certain spec to your app so devices that don't qualify don't see it on the Market. I'm all for NI bringing more apps to mobile platforms, but it's kinda annoying that we won't see the app if it doesn't get enough support from iPhone users (if that's the case).

9. JudgeJudas

JudgeJudas New Member

I, too, posted my concern for this, albeit in another thread about the iMaschine since I couldn't find one about this exact thing (and didn't want to create a whole thread if nobody else cared).

I am not pissed at NI, but I am confused. It doesn't make sense to limit it to just one market like that.
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it came as an Android-app, even before I got the Maschine (which I got last week, after postponing the buy for ages).

I am really hoping the people at NI want to please the other half of the smartphone/tablet-community.

And is it just me, or would a Reaktor Skrewell-app be fun as hell?

10. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

I'm sure (or I hope atleast!) that someone from NI will update us with what's going on soon enough. I only recently (bout 3 weeks ago) got hold of Maschine and the only other NI app I've ever used aside Traktor is Massive which I seriously couldn't live without! This is why after buying Maschine I've started to look down the avenue of getting hold of Komplete cause I'm loving the whole hands on element of things, but even at the current crossgrade cost for Maschine users I can't really justify it.

11. munichlondon

munichlondon Forum Member

I'd like to add a request for a version for Windows Phone 7.5.

I admit the current market share of WP7 is not something to write home about, but at least it doesn't suffer from the fragemention of the Andriod market. Also its apps increase rate in the first 8 months is matching that of iOS and exceeding that of Andriod and with Nokia fighting for it alongside Microsoft very soon this rate as well as market share will increase significantly.

I love my Samsung Omnia 7 :D.

munichlondon

• Like Like x 1
  12. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Yeah, I'll second that too.... Not that it has any benefit to me in the slightest, but if your gonna launch an extension of an application to mobile, it should include everyone. There would be huge outcry if they released software that was Win or Mac only so why should the mobile customer base be any different?

13. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

Why are you assuming that NI is "completely ignoring" it? Do you see any other major companies releasing Android apps? It's a technical issue with Android OS itself. It's just not ready for music production tools compared to iOS which is light years ahead for both audio and MIDI support.

Like I said, there is a good reason why there's so few audio-related apps on Android. And it's not just the OS. The various hardware devices themselves need to improve for better audio performance on Android. The serious fragmentation of Android hardware makes integration insanely difficult for potential developers and introduces huge obstacles like device-specific bugs.

So please do some proper research first before accusing a company of "completely dismissing half of a possible user base".

14. sbproductions

sbproductions NI Product Owner

be grateful guys...at least we're not stuck on a useless MPC. NI cares. If not, JJOS would have taken over by now ;)

15. dj_dunno

dj_dunno Forum Member

Haha yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining! Before the update I hadn't even thought of a Maschine app for my phone, so I don't see why I should start complaining about not having one now. All I am wondering is are NI going to look into bringing it to the Android platform or is it just not going to happen?

16. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

It's pointless to bug NI about it right now because Android OS is still not ready yet when it comes to realtime low-latency audio and MIDI not to mention hardware fragmentation. The bottom line is that iOS is pretty much the only game in town for music production on mobile touch devices.

17. Rymf

Rymf NI Product Owner

Posted a version of this as a reply to JudgeJudas' comment in another iMaschine thread, but it's probably more relevant here:

Android device form factor/resolution fragmentation and overall platform latency issues have already been addressed in this thread. In addition:

1. iOS apps are written in Objective-C. Android apps are written in Java. For those of you who aren't geeks, that means "porting" iMaschine to Android would require not only starting from scratch, but most likely hiring a separate team of developers to do so. Even having done so, NI then gets the privilege of pissing off their users every time the paths of the two dev teams diverge (which is totally reasonable to expect) potentially resulting in a different experience on each platform.

2. Yes, the raw number of Android devices in the wild eclipsed the comparable number of iOS devices a few months back (it's damn near impossible to get hard figures that are actually representative of reality about any of this stuff. For instance, you will never get any information out of Apple regarding the number of iPod Touches sold). Please keep in mind that those numbers include every Galaxy Tab and Blackberry Playbook sitting in a box on a shelf at Best Buy or in an Amazon fulfillment center, not to mention the Nook and other Android devices totally irrelevant to this discussion, as well as every chintzy, half-baked offering from any wannabe on the Asian mainland (plus Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc) who fancies his firm the next HTC.

3. Despite the increase in Android market penetration, the number of total apps available, total apps sold, total revenue from apps, and average revenue per app sold on iOS still dwarfs that of Android. A wealth of research shows that iOS users buy more apps in aggregate, and that they're willing to spend more per app. Many developers who write for both platforms have posted their own internal analyses for the world to see, and almost universally the results are that when a developer publishes comparably equipped, comparably priced apps to both the App Store and the Android Market, the iOS apps are more profitable.

Now, this is coming from someone who primarily uses Apple computers and owns an iPad. I also use Windows and Linux boxes, and I've been using Android phones since the G1 was first released (now I'm on a Nexus S).

I don't exactly have a dog in this fight. I just think it's important to acknowledge that this situation is much more complicated than "just release an Android version already." I sincerely doubt NI is unaware that some percentage of their users will desire/expect an Android version of iMachine, or that they're actively abstaining from Android development to spite the Android contingent of their user base. I do think it would be foolish for NI to ignore Android outright, but as you can read in my posts elsewhere on this forum, I could talk for HOURS about improvements I feel could be made to iMaschine, as well as my hopes for a future iNI product group with companion touchscreen apps for many/all of their products. But just as there would with Android development, there's a lot of work to be done to turn ideas like that into reality.

Insofar as iMaschine as we currently understand it is concerned…it's a start.

18. intensemojo

intensemojo Forum Member

A part of my company develops mobile apps and have them available on all the platforms but from what the product manager has shared with me the iOS AppStore sell through is almost 10-1 over Android. According to him Android users don't spend anywhere close to what iOS users do on apps. So we we are investing additional resources where the market is for us right now.

19. JudgeJudas

JudgeJudas New Member

Although it wouldn't cover a "10-1 over Android"-principle, I'd gladly pay about double. But then again, money burns up as soon as I touch it.

20. Rymf

Rymf NI Product Owner

JJ: See my post above (which I submitted a few days ago but was held for approval until Keir@NI took care of it for me) for more details on some of the issues at play here.

Your enthusiasm and willingness to put your money where your mouth is are worth noting; the number one thing you can do to entice developers to release more stuff on the Android market is buy more apps.

This is a business, and I can assure you that most of the folks involved in app development are the types of nerds who have spreadsheets telling them what decisions they should be making. Your dollars have a direct impact on the data in those spreadsheets.