"In Kit Preview" gone with Battery 4?

Discussion in 'BATTERY' started by SaschaFranck, Jun 17, 2019.

1. SaschaFranck

SaschaFranck NI Product Owner

Hi,

Finally I just received my Komplete 12 Ultimate package and the first thing I installed was Battery 4. Now, looking around in the GUI and the manual, I fail to find an option to preview samples in context - I think it has been there since Battery 1. Please tell me that this hasn't been taken away, that'd be a huge drawback for me. I mean, sure, it has already gotten a lot worse with B3 compared to B2 (which offered you a nice, OS-style based browser with plenty of space to look for samples...), but I can't believe this is just entirely gone.
    Could anyone point me into the right direction of where to look at this functionality (because I'm absolutely sure I'm just missing something)?

Cheers
    Sascha

2. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

What exactly do your mean "Preview Samples in Context"? Sorry, just not clear to me what you are looking for...

Peace

Blindeddie

3. SaschaFranck

Well, it's actually called "In Kit Preview" in Battery 3 and you'll find it in the browsers sample playback options:
    InKitPreview_Bat3.jpg

What it does: You can have your groove running, select a cell and when you activate this option, the cell will be replaced temporarily with the sample selected in the browser, continuing to play the groove just with the cell replaced. Obviously, this isn't so relevant when dealing with multi-layered patches, but for single sample sounds (which one may use often for anything not sounding natural) it's just kickass - and one of the single most important features I expect to come with a dedicated drum sampling tool. FXpansions DR-008 (which I used before Battery) had it, their GURU and Geist plugins as well, Logics Ultrabeat, too. And well, Battery 2 and 3 offered it as well. But all too apparently, Battery 4 lacks of it. Which... - oh well, saying what I really think about it would likely result in a ban.
    Really, this is *so* much better than clicking onto a sample and listening to it without any context.

4. SaschaFranck

And fwiw, I changed the thread title accordingly.

5. Blindeddie

Ahh, thought that might be what you were referring to, and yes,,, appears to be gone... one thing I did notice though, the "Loop" button in Batt 4 (all the way to the left under the browser) seems to do a "Forced load" (not a loop button as stated in the manual) into the selected cell when a sample is clicked on...but it does not revert when unselected like the preview in kit button did.... another useful feature for some folks bites the dust!!!

Peace,

Blindeddie

• Like Like x 1
  6. SaschaFranck

Oh right, that's doing the job (really not exactly what you'd expect from that icon), but as you say, it simply doesn't revert to the previously loaded sample (undo doesn't work, either) - and that's a major bummer, really. Imagine clicking onto it by accident with an already sort of finetuned set that might be a collection of samples spread all over your libraries. Defenitely not what the doctor ordered. Thanks for the heads up, though!

7. Blindeddie

Yeah, no kind of Undo is really bad...especially since the manual says that button will "Continuously loop the selected sample" either some kind of bug or oversight I assume. reloading the kit (if you haven't saved it) will get you back to square one, but that seems a little extreme just to preview one or two samples... so in this case, "Not" saving your work is a good thing!!! :D

Peace

Blindeddie!

8. SaschaFranck

Looks like I'll still be using Battery 3 for a while to come. So far; I haven't found anything noteworthy new in V4 anyway.