Inverse hyperbolic curve

Discussion in 'Building With Reaktor' started by Studiowaves, May 18, 2021.

1. Studiowaves

Studiowaves NI Product Owner

Didn't see an inverse hyperbolic curve in the user library so I made one. The macro itself accepts 0-1 and was made for adjusting the dynamic response of key velocities in one of my projects. Thought it might be something worth sharing. The module is labeled Inv Hyp. It's inside the vel sense macro. The crossfade knob swings between the Hyp Sat and the Inv Sat. Just a standard linear crossfade. Naturally it can be rigged to work bipolar like the hyperbolic saturator if need be. Don't know why it wasn't in the core library with the inverse parabolic. Hope it comes in handy.
    https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/attachments/velocity-curve-test-zip.109897/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Catman Dude

Catman Dude NI Product Owner

Hey studiowaves,
    Thanks for posting this, but I can't open it. It says it's in an unsupported format. (I'm on macOs.) Zip files are usually not a problem however.

3. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

David, try this a zip created with 7zip

Attached Files:

4. Catman Dude

Danke, Paule!
    sw, display looks nice. Will go into the structure shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

6. Studiowaves

7. Studiowaves

It's pretty simple, nothing to it. I use it on the modulators in fm. Playing softer decreases the fm and the overtones drop down. Nice extra touch of expression. I'm sure it has many uses. Might even help your old hands as it can play louder velocities with a softer touch. Wow played for 40 years, post some recordings some day, I'd like to listen to your stuff. Love music...

8. colB

colB NI Product Owner

There is a fully functional Hyperbolic shaper in the Factory core library (at least in mine?)
    hype.png

• Like Like x 2
  9. Catman Dude

yes, got it. simply invert the hyperbolic shaper.
    I suspect they didn't add it in because it's so basic to so much of what we all do as builders.

• Like Like x 1
  10. colB

colB NI Product Owner

The factory Hyp module takes b inputs in the range -1 to 1, negative will give concave curves, positive will give convex. It's symmetrical afaict, so there is no need to explicitly 'invert' enything, just use the full range of the b input. It's all explained in the info for the module.

11. Studiowaves

I thought something was fishy. Seems they could combine the saturators with the math shapers in the library. I didn't think to look in the math section.

12. Catman Dude

thanks. haven't really used this to this point, but not for any good reason.

13. Studiowaves

Catman , I used it so tailor keyboard velocities. One was weak velocities are load other the stay and shoot up fast. You remember how keyboards had several curves to choose from. I have an old Fatar 88 note weighted action. It's pretty damn good too. Paid 550 15 years ago it seems. One iof its curves is very similar to a grand piano action. If I wanna play soft, it has a soft pedal input. Really wish it has the sustenuto pedal. I don''t why they left that out. I trying to do it with reaktor . It'l be a while on that, it's hard.
    My best friends hands are getting bad too, He's 70 and one finder is stuck straight.. Rheumatoid arthritis. Well you got to play 40 years and got to be pretty good at it. Something to be proud of for sure. I thought it tell you what those curves are good for, Maybe someday you'll feel like playing and that curve can help out. Don't really know for sure. But hope so. later Dude.

14. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner