is a ssd a must have for Kontakt samples?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by garywilliamson1, Jan 27, 2015.

1. garywilliamson1

garywilliamson1 New Member

I put all samples on a separate HDD like advised by NI. It seems to work OK but kinda hangs sometimes. Thinking about returning it and getting a ssd drive. I'm a newbie to Kontakt so wondering what you guys are doing. Thanks for any responses!

2. UltimateOutsider

UltimateOutsider NI Product Owner

An internal 7200RPM SATA drive is capable of supporting multiple instances of Kontakt. Is that what you were using?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

SSD is a great thing for sample libraries, especially big ones which need to stream a lot of samples. However, it's not always a necessity for regular-sized libraries.

4. garywilliamson1

I have the ultimate 10 library on an external Seagate 2tb usb 3 drive. Supposedly usb 3 is faster? It seems okay but Don't know if it'll be okay for the long haul. Reply

5. WoodlanderBeats

WoodlanderBeats New Member

USB 3 will definitely be faster so do that... In terms of SSD being 'good for big sample libraries' SSD is good for any circumstance - its just much more expensive - therefore not great on an average budget for the producer collecting TB's of samples... A standard HDD should be fine, what processor are you using? How much RAM is installed?

6. garywilliamson1

I have an i7, not the latest or greatest, and 16gb of RAM

7. UltimateOutsider

UltimateOutsider NI Product Owner

You'll only get USB 3 speeds if you plug into a USB 3 port (the ports are usually blue, or will be marked with an "SS" superpseed logo). Next, not all USB 3 implementations are the same; some computers are slower than others, and some actually have buggy implementations. And also, a lot of USB drives have really slow physical drive mechanisms; so even though the actual connection might be USB 3, the drive itself presents a bottleneck.

For external drives, the best option is eSATA (or maybe Thunderbolt? Don't have any TB equipment, so don't know.)

There's a free program called CrystalDiskMark that you can use to benchmark your internal vs external drives. If your external is crazy slow in one or more of the tests, you might need to try something else.

I believe there are adjustments you can make in Kontakt to make it load more samples into RAM at instrument load time, versus relying on real-time streaming, but I've never messed with that myself. If hard disk is truly the cause of your Kontakt issues, then not relying on streaming would probably resolve that.

8. WoodlanderBeats

WoodlanderBeats New Member

Plenty then!

eSATA is a good shout, especially if your set up includes plenty of USB dependent controllers etc already...

9. garywilliamson1

Thanks! I'll look into that. And yes, it's plugged into a USB 3 port on the laptop, NOT a hub, it wouldn't work plugged into a hub.

10. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

USB3 is good, but you may not see a huge improvement from USB2, because the USB bus was never the bottleneck.

Low seek times are what benefit Kontakt's streaming, and SSD's are likely to have significantly faster seek times than traditional drives. But, back to the original question, you most certainly can use traditional drives for Kontakt usage. SSD's will be better and be able to stream more, but you can still stream a lot of stuff off a traditional drive.

It all depends on your usage. The cost-conscious answer is: use a traditional drive for now, then if you feel like you're constantly hitting its limits, it's time to look into replacing it with an SSD. SSD's are, of course, much much more expensive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. garywilliamson1

well, I think I figured out the little problem, for whatever reason Trend Micro was not liking the external drive. I had to go in and put the drive on the "safe list". Seems to be running smoother now. I still want an SSD but I think I'll wait til the prices come down some(I'm assuming they will at some point?).
    thanks for all the responses!

12. David Das

Yes. Hard drive prices always come down over time. I'm always an advocate of using what you have until you outgrow it. If you're not reaching the limit of your regular SATA drive, there's no need to upgrade to an SSD. I've been using two regular SATA drives to stream samples for a decade (I put half my samples on one, half my samples on the other). But if you constantly reach its limits, then it may be time to upgrade.

13. mesa5000

mesa5000 New Member

Hello,

I recently purchased Komplete 10 Ultimate. From what I've read so far it is recommended to save the sample library to an external drive. I've been looking at different ssd. I'm looking to start with my right foot and not have to return a product. I'm currently using both of my USB ports (Maschine studio, and keyboard). This leaves me with just one thunderbolt free as I'm using the other one for my audio interface (firewire to thunderbolt). These are my specs:

MPB early 2013 version 10.8.5
    2.8 GHz intel core i7
    16GB ram
    703.4 GB free flash storage

The library I need to save is about 300GB.
    Any suggestions/ recommendations?

14. EvilDragon

Get a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB. Great SSD.

15. mesa5000

mesa5000 New Member

I don't have any USB ports left. I thought about using a USB bus but I've read it is also discouraged as it would slow things down. Is this the case? and if so, are there any that you suggest that use Thunderbolt?

Thanks for the response!!!

16. EvilDragon

If you find a good quality USB hub, there won't be any losses in speed (besides, your Maschine Studio and MIDI keyboard don't really need a lot of bandwidth!).

However, SSDs are generally too fast even for USB 3. You could get a Thunderbolt case for external hard drives, then you can connect more than one hard drive or SSD to it, and have it all connected via a single TB cable. Yep, it's more expensive - but it will also support higher speeds that SSDs offer, which USB can only do up to a certain extent.

17. David Das

I wish/hope someone will do a good head-to-head comparison of a good SSD drive in a good USB3 enclosure vs. a good Thunderbolt enclosure and rate it specifically for Kontakt use. If anyone's done it, I'm not aware of the experiment, but it would be interesting to read.

I do believe/agree with EvilDragon that an SSD's speeds are faster than USB3's throughput, though by how much, I'm not sure. Technically you should get better performance with a Thunderbolt enclosure. But you will pay a lot more for it. Mesa5000, it may all depend on how you use it.

18. mesa5000

mesa5000 New Member

I don't see myself expanding my sound library any further any time soon. I'm looking for something that would allow me to access my Komplete 10 Ultimate library fast and smoothly.
    If I was to use the Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB which enclosure would you recommend?
    What do you think about the Transcend 512GB StoreJet 500 SSD? It is much cheaper than the LaCie Rugged 500GB SSD, Although I have read very positive reviews on this product.

Thank you EvilDragon and David Das for your help

19. EvilDragon

Wait, you said you have 700 GB of free flash storage on your system drive? Well that's just fine for installing Komplete on it. It will work fine. Then you could use a cheaper external USB drive for project data etc. (which is better in the end since once you have your projects on an external drive, it's easy to transport that data between laptop, desktop, other people, etc.).

As for SSDs themselves - I wouldn't recommend anything other than Samsung and Intel. Perhaps SanDisk. These are at the forefront of the technology. Samsungs come with a 5 year warranty (Pro versions - more expensive - come with a 10 year warranty!), you won't get that with a Transcend or a LaCie (those enclosures come with their own SSD inside - so you'd be buying two drives in that case - and you won't know if a Samsung is inside, probably not).

20. Millsmixx

Millsmixx New Member

I currently have my Windows 7 64 Bit PC in the shop for a diagnostic/repair or possible upgrade.
    It currently has 2 internal 7200 drives and both of them nearly full to the max with Kontakt libraries! There's no more room so I'm looking to upgrade to SSD. I basically store all of my libraries on the other drive that doesn't hold my operating system, but ran out of space so now on both.The libaries load OK time wise.
    With no room left the tech guy is telling me that it's not a good idea to store large amounts of data on SDD drives because of the way they read and write data.

Is that true? I need to know before I lay down some cash. I need to have fast loading times!
    Additionally I will add that on my other windows laptop my main C Drive (operating system) is SDD but my 2nd drive is 5400. All my libaries are on the 5400 and it takes Kontakt 2 & half minutes to load! I don't want to make that mistake twice and get slow loading Kontakt issues again so I need some advice! 2 SSD drives or listen to the tech guy?