1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Is creating this synth even possible in Reaktor 4?

Discussion in 'REAKTOR' started by Toxik99, Jul 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toxik99

Toxik99 New Member

Greetings all,

I am VERY new to Reaktor, I am just curious, if want to create a serious synth modeled after a popular market synth, this is what I would like to put into it, but I have no idea if this is even possible, here are the specs.

- 32-voice polyphony with 16-part multitimbral capability
    - 4 oscillators per voice. 3 main plus one sub
    - Sawtooth, variable pulse, sine, triangle
    - FM [Frequency modulation] with or without external Input signals
    - 2 filters selectable as lowpass, highpass, bandpass or bandreject
    - 4 filter configurations (serial/ parallel) for up to 6 poles [36 dB]
    - 3 LFOs with 68 LFO shapes
    - Loop or Envelope LFO modes with midi clock sync
    - 2 ADSTR envelopes
    - 16 independent arpeggiators with numerous arpeggiator patterns and real time parameter access/modulation including swing & note length.
    - 98 simultaneous effects:
    - Reverb [w. pre-delay sync to MIDI-clock]
    - 3-Band EQ per program/part [low/hi shelf + parametric mid]
    - Phaser [6-stage stereo phaser with 24 filter-poles
    - Multiple independent distortion/saturation/Lo-fi FX per voice, including multiple distortion/shaper characteristics and variable gain.
    - Chorus/Flanger with rate sync to midi tempo
    - Simple or "Groove" Delay [preset polyrhythmic patterns]
    - Ring Modulator
    - Analog Boost for true vintage tonal characteristics
    - Internal master clock that drives all arpeggiators, LFOs and delay times; automatic sync to external midi clock
    - Advanced Modulation Matrix with 6 source and 9 destination slots.
    - Complete control via MIDI (CC/Polypressure/Sysex) with "Adaptive Control Smoothing" for ultra soft parameter changes and no zippering.
    - MIDI Tempo sync capabilities for virtually every time-based parameter
    - Full 24-bit processing; 24 bit D/A, 18 bit A/D
    - 2 sample file inputs to process your signals through synth filters, envelopes, FX, vocoder, FM, ring modulator.
    - Flexible "auxiliary" model of internal audio routing for processing/reprocessing internal/external signals through the synth engine and and effects of other voices

Is this possible and if so would it take me a lifetime to complete as a new user of Reakotr lol.

Cheers!

2. janelle_ivers

janelle_ivers Forum Member

If you are new to Reaktor then you may have bitten off more than you can chew here!

In theory it may be possible, depending on machine specs. It sounds like a huge CPU eater as well as a monster to build.

I think you need a little more experience first?!? This is extremely ambitious.

Janelle

3. johnnowak

johnnowak Account Suspended

MOST of that is very easy. However...the arpeggiators are not going to be easy at all (although its possible), and also the distortion types and analog boost are going to be VERY hard unless you know how to model them accurately.

Everything else is possible, provided you're running one hell of a system. I'd want the 2x G5 2.0s for that monster. ;-)

4. Toxik99

Toxik99 New Member

These specs are modeled after the infamous " Access Virus C ", I just think it would be VERY interesting to make a " Virus (R) " type version for myself to see what type of sound this could produce, it would be interesting if it were able to produce Virus type sounds in a scale of its own but with the Reaktor edge and ofvourse the possibity of VSTi integration.

Even though this could be a serious CPU eater, bouncing audio is a wonderfull thing, and with the modulation and CC# possibities, it could be a very promising endevour ;)

Any tips would be appreciated, I am going to actually try it, not something I will work every day all day on, but piece by piece, here and there and hope that with in time it becomes a live ensamble.

Cheers!

5. op416

op416 NI Product Owner

Dash synthesis created a Access Virus b emulation which you might want to take a look inside. Of course it isn't a pure emulation but you would get the idea.

Downsides: it isn't Access Virus c, it isn't 100 % (naturally) and it is a paid purchase.

Though just looking inside that Dash one, it isn't gonna be an easy task to achieve.

info:
    http://www.dashsynthesis.com/?content=products/reaktor-list-ID&platform=Reaktor&ID=viruxdream

if this advert isn't allowed, moderators can remove it ;) btw, i don't work for dash

6. disqo

disqo Forum Member

nothing wrong with being overly ambitous. the synth is possible given that you pay attention to the important details of trying to save how much processor each individual peice eats up. And if some aspect of the instrument doesnt sound good, there is probably a reason for it and can be fixed. Just go ahead and get started now. You could always do what that one chap who did the BTS dream synth in the user library did.(cant remember the name) He released version after version of an ever growing synth. I wouldnt think its practical to just start on this monster of a synth and not stop until its done. But if you complete a skeleton version of it you got something to play with in the meantime as you work out your programming skills and by the time you have everything completely up to the exact spec you listed above, there will probably be a computer fast enough to handle it. Like everyone said, it will take a hell of a lot of time, but dont let that discourage you. If it was that easy then someone would have already built it and there would be fifty different versions of it and then you would just end up envisioning something even bigger.

7. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Your two major stumbling blocks are the 32 voices/16 part multitimbral and the 96 effects .32 voices is going to take a monster machine,and 16 part multitimbrality(if you wanted to use separate MIDI channels and be able to adjust zones)would take 16 different instruments.Technology's not there yet as far as a machine to run it on.
    The 96 effects-you'd definitely run into the limits of modules in a macro sooner or later.
    The Dash synth is not meant to be a Virus emulation-it's made more in the spirit of a Virus.
    ew

8. Jake Mandell

Jake Mandell Forum Member

Why don't you buy a Virus if you want a Virus? The Virus is an excellent sounding machine, and you have hands-on control of the important parameters, etc. The guys at Access spent a lot of time fine-tuning the parameter ranges and shaping algorithms so the Virus sounds fantastic.

It's true that you can program Photoshop or Logic or Cubase or even an entire operating system in C++ and in theory save some money. But it will take you so much time to accomplish your goal, that you would have been much better off getting the product you originally wanted. Unless, of course, your goal was to learn how to do it.

Quite honestly - if you buy Reaktor expecting a Virus, you'll be disappointed. Just like you wouldn't buy an apple and try to genetically engineer it to be an orange, don't get Reaktor because you want it to be something else. Don't get me wrong - there are many great synths that ship with Reaktor and countless others in the user library. But the real strengh of Reaktor is its flexibility! With Reaktor you can make (or download) machines that are unique and one-of-a-kind, and you have total freedom to create whatever type of machine you want.

So, my advice would be to go to a store and play the Virus. Sure, a machine with those specs you described could be made in Reaktor, but it would sound entirely different from a Virus. If you love the sound of the Virus, then save up your money and buy the Virus. Download the demo of Reaktor (or wait for the version 4 demo in a couple weeks). If you love the sound of Reaktor then get Reaktor. Couldn't be simpler! : )

Best,

Jake

9. Toxik99

Toxik99 New Member

Jake,

While I appreciate your responce, I am affraid you miss-understood the meaning of the post, I already own Reaktor 4 and did not purchase it to be a Virus ;) I love reaktor for reaktor, though " I am new to the title " It would be VERY cool to create a big synth modeled aftera cultural monster, obviously it will not sound the same, but why should that stop me from making it? As I said in the post, it I wanted to meaker a Reaktor version of the synth " MODELED " after the Virus C.

Reaktor is and should be a fun learning experience, besides, if no one spent the time to create such machines what would be the prupose of owning a software such as this, if all I wanted was reaktor ensambles then I would have just bought " Reaktor Sessions "..

Cheers!

10. Achim Siebert

Achim Siebert Forum Member

Am Montag, 14.07.03, um 13:23 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Native
    Instruments forum:

I"d say buy both ;-) The sound of some Reaktor-ensembles is great and
    not possible on the Virus. OTOH, the the sound of the Virus is not
    possible in Reaktor (and it comes with 1024 great and usable presets by
    very gifted sound-designers - just try the presets ending in "HS" in
    the ensemble Green Matrix - he also did lots of Virus patches).

Achim.

11. CList

CList Moderator

I own a Virus Kb and love it, especially the fact that the panels all send MIDI CC messages - which is great for controlling Reaktor! That being said, I must tell you that Reaktor is way more powerful (IMHO, of course).

The reason the Virus is so well spec'ed is because it's only one instrument. Reaktor is 100's of insturments on one platform. If you think of every ensemble in the user lib. as another bank of patches on a single synth, as opposed to seperate synths, then you'll see what I'm getting at. Reaktor has 100's of effects, 100's of ADSRs, etc., you just need to cut and paste them in as you need them, or find an instrument that has what you're looking for.

Still, if you want to go this route of building a virus in Reaktor, I built an arpeggiator modelled after the one in my Virus. The nice thing about mine is that it's fully programable, while the one in the virus only has a set of preset patterns to chose from. The ensemble name is Koyaanisqatisi - it's in the user lib. I think the argeggiator is one of the best parts of the virus, but with this, you don't need it.

- CList

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.