Is there anything more useless and counterproductive than the "ideas" view?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by LeeMeeL0ne, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Are you talking about loading Patterns here? Or Scenes?
    Sorry, I'm still not clear why it's any faster. As b-righteous said, are you talking about using the software GUI with the mouse?

2. Michael Arthur Holloway

Michael Arthur Holloway NI Product Owner

They aren't the same at all! Ideas View is the biggest Maschine improvement in years for me, I absolutely love it.

But to answer your question directly: in Ideas view, *all* Patterns that exist for a given track are displayed. You have a clear overview of everything that exists for that track, and can choose which part you want to activate to be heard. Arrange only shows the clips chosen to be there, it doesn't work as an overview of all your clips. Ideas view is also non linear, of course; time is no presented from left to right, you simply have a matrix showing all recorded clips, and can build new scenes easily from those clips. Visually, this is WAY more intuitive to me than using arrangement.

And to the OP -- I get that what is useless to one person can be hugely important to another. I wish you would get that, too. showing up in the forum to rant about how horrible and stupid something is just because it doesn't cater to your workflow specifically is really counter-productive. maybe give it some more time, and for gods sake, yes, use the "append to arrangement" command, that's the whole idea -- record clips, build variations on scenes in ideas view, then lay them out in arrangement timeline for your 'song'.....

3. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

As i wrote i dont use it - but if they implement it like for kk mk2 where you can change the patterns in a scene with the knobs and the view - I would use it

4. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Did I say they were the same? :confused:
    They're the same as much as a spoon is the same as a knife: I can stir my coffee with either, but I can do a lot more with a knife.
    (The Arranger is definitely the knife.)

I get your point and appreciate that the different GUI/viewing perspective is probably the strongest suit for the Ideas View, but, depending on your screen size and the layout of the Maschine GUI, as well as the number of Patterns, it doesn't show all Patterns at all...

The Arranger can also be used in a "non-linear" way and, granted, there is no overarching timeline in the Ideas View, but this, to me, is a disadvantage as it limits experimenting with multiple Scenes.

Not sure if this was also directed at me, but hopefully not, as I didn't start this thread and haven't ranted against anything, just asked why and how other users find the Ideas View useful because it hasn't added anything to my arranging workflow at all.

The bottom line seems to be that its main usefulness is just when using the software GUI + mouse combination, which I understand is important to many workflows. I personally just want the Ideas View to be more widely and broadly useful.

5. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I'm talking about loading patterns into scenes and trying our different combinations. It's just a simple click as they are all already loaded

I'm talking about using the GUI and a mouse although I imagine you can do this with the KK Mk 2 and Maschine Mk 3 once it's capable of displaying ideas view.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  6. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

I think this was the issue , not the ideas view as a whole.

7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

The only reason I use it is because all patterns from all groups are available via mouse click without the need for submenus. (as long as they fit the screen size of course)

8. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

It feels to me like the beginning of a different approach for Maschine not 'an end' in itself and I'm very curiouus as to how this affects the future development of Maschine

9. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

I enjoy it also. Takes me back to my ableton session view days. It's fun just playing random scenes together to see what I come with. I prefer using Maschine Jam or Komplete Kontrol Mk2 for using it for putting my song together. I like keep the arranger tidy. Once I find my intro or whatever I append it!

10. skinswashdc

Do you use the idea view? It's very handy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

No. As I've said, it offers nothing valuable to me. In what way do you find it handy?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Asteryx

Asteryx NI Product Owner

I guess we all just work differently. Coming to Maschine from last using Reason many years ago, the Ideas view was one of the main things I was missing. I had a really hard time when I first started, trying to arrange tracks in Maschine and emulate aspects of my Reason workflow. The Ideas view is intuitively how I work; I build many variations of patterns with the different drum sections and instruments I want and then put that altogether as a collage in the arranger to build the whole song. I’m surprised so many don’t like it and it makes me want to peek over your shoulders for a whole session to see how you build a track.

As an aside, Mr36, b-righteous and the other veterans on here who know Maschine inside out, can we coax you into sharing videos with your Maschine workflows, tips and tricks? I think that is a thread that will help quite a few , much more than the zillions of YouTube videos out there.

13. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

I don’t find ideas view very useful at the moment. It comes off as a poor man’s live session view. It’s especially useless if you are using the Maschine controller. Probably a bit more useful for Jam users tho.

That being said it’s nice to get an overview of the scene you are working on.

I just feel like it’s more a live performance kind of tool rather than anything useful for composing since Scenes get lost in that UI. It’s harder to tell what scene you have working on imo.

The arranger is more straight forward in that regard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. skinswashdc

I like the ideas view coming over from ableton. It's similar, so coming from that it didn't take much to get use to it.

15. alpert

alpert NI Product Owner

To avoid that i saved an empty project as default with arrange view.

16. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

Just ordered a jam , so I'm gonna start using ideas view, gonna have to switch up my work flow tho ,

17. LeeMeeL0ne

LeeMeeL0ne New Member

I'm not mad at the feature being an option, but to make it the default view every time a new project is opened is absolutely ridiculous. It's a poorly executed attempt at stealing ableton's structure and workflow (which by the way, if that's what we wanted, we would've all been ableton users rather than maschine users).