Is traktor coming to an end?

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by andyfoz, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Punky921

Punky921 NI Product Owner

Well that's disturbing. I've been using Traktor since 2008, and it would really suck for it to fall apart now, especially when we're finally seeing forward momentum again.

2. SpirosG

SpirosG NI Product Owner

What i see here is that they seem to reject the addition of spotify or any other curent streaming service (What about Beatsource?) because you are not actually allowed to use it while you are publicly Djing, BUT there is no denial about the END of Traktor, if that means something...:cool:

3. Jumeirah Sound System

Jumeirah Sound System NI Product Owner

Just wanted to update my earlier cynicism with some actual evidence.

This guy went and analysed a bunch of NI's financial performance records and concluded that no, they're not going out of business, no, it's not the end, and yes, they'll probably be around for a long time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DJs/comments/caquzx/financial_analysis_of_native_instruments/

I read it and it actually changed my mind. I still think NI should focus on the pro segment but at least we seem to be able to rest assured that NI isn't going anywhere anytime soon (whew!)

4. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

NI aren't going anywhere. Been around 20 years, and companies have rough bumps and bounce back. They will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. acg3

acg3 NI Product Owner

Traktor Pro is ending, at least that's how I read this communication from last year:

"We have engaged in rewriting Traktor from ground-up, even though this takes significant time and resource investment. We will maintain and improve Traktor Pro for several more years until the new Traktor is mature enough, also for our Pro users. There are more updates to Traktor Pro planned in the coming months."
    https://djtechtools.com/2018/04/24/a-state-of-traktor-new-hardware-and-software-coming-in-2018/

Maybe the latest iteration of Traktor DJ is what's replacing TPro, maybe not. We do know TDJ is still maturing and I believe NI coded the new TDJ from scratch so it could be the replacement candidate. I am speculating.

I do know nothing comes close to TPro for me at the moment so at this point I'll be using TPro until the ship syncs :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Scratch-E Con

Scratch-E Con NI Product Owner

If the hardware part is true than we can forget about a Z3...

7. CosinusOmega

CosinusOmega New Member

I would love to see an official denial from NI concerning the rumours on "end of traktor hardware", as soon as possible.

8. skinswashdc

They are continuing to update Traktor 3 and they just released Traktor DJ. What makes you think Traktor is ending?

9. acg3

acg3 NI Product Owner

Not Traktor as a whole, just Traktor Pro:

"We will maintain and improve Traktor Pro for several more years until the new Traktor is mature enough"

In my opinion TP3 and the updates to come are a last ditch effort by NI to maintain their remaining user base until the new Traktor product is ready for market.

10. Brian J.

Brian J. NI Product Owner

Interesting.. NI is not publicly denying this rumor. Maybe there is some truth in it?

11. Stazbumpa

Stazbumpa NI Product Owner

Why would NI waste their time doing that? Besides, people don't care what the facts are. They just want their narrative to be correct. Quoshing rumours doesn't quosh rumours when people have already decided those rumours are true as far as they're concerned.

12. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Wasting time? Damage control/crisis communications are a very important part of not losing further sales.

I don't think Traktor is going anywhere. There's no Maschine Pro, and segmenting the consumer and professional markets doesn't make much sense in 2019.

13. FunkyBrewster

FunkyBrewster NI Product Owner

Not offended but I think you have a misconception about EDM. EDM was a marketing fad that had little to do with music. It's true that NI caters more to electronic music that can be beatgridded, e.g. the house/techno et all, and maybe that isn't mainstream in the US, and maybe different software is more capable in that situation. However, true house/techno music and its extended electronic family is alive and kicking as it has been for decades, not missing EDM now that it's no longer a thing. The underground is like roaches. We never die, just keep on living. And on that note, let's get back to the program.

• Like Like x 2
  14. zephry

zephry NI Product Owner

The post said they fired the hardware division?
    And Sound.com

Strange, all of it looks like a new team worked on the latest gear and really put effort into it. The recent updates include more Sounds.com integration for Komplete also.
    I am thinking there is more to it and some misinformation out there.

Ok I read through the Reddit post this is mainly kind of revolving around... too me it sounded like some typical downsizing and the research the person posted is not a sinking ship. But who knows, this could be the result of the customer base more than anything.
    Bad example here... but I saw this happen with Skateboarding way back. The sales kind of dropped and the culture came to a peak.
    Then all of a sudden the rave culture and the skaters along with Extreme sports went over the top.
    To me it all seems kind of linked.
    The alternative side of music, sports, art and the culture is not always kind to the industry that caters to it. Trends are not guided by the sellers as much.
    Not like selling a car, phone, or computer.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  15. kramdown

kramdown NI Product Owner

I have no inside info on Native Instruments, but they are much larger than Traktor, and have been providing a wide variety of software and hardware for musicians and producers for years. As long as they are around I can't imagine them dropping (at the least) software support for Traktor.

Traktor always struck me as as a package designed by musicians and producers - for musicians and producers (who also want to DJ). It's perfect for open format if that's your background. I'm in clubs every weekend as an open format DJ, and absolutely love it. Linear track view is what I'm most comfortable with, and direct access to a clearly visible master clock is huge.

... just an open format club DJ sticking up for his favorite platform.

16. skinswashdc

Traktor DJ is the future.

• Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Brian J.

NATIVE INSTRUMENTS past of sounds™️

18. Brian J.

God I hope not.. I really don’t see how the software can converge but sadly looks that I going that way

19. DJ Flex I

DJ Flex I NI Product Owner

If this is the future, I better switch to recordbox right now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. freakydinde

freakydinde NI Product Owner

unprofessional / beginner software are the future.