Key adjust sounds crappy

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR SCRATCH' started by discobald, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kourampies

kourampies Forum Member

I use absolute mode, so if thats the issue, the cdj1000 is sick :p

2. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

I'll see if I can sort out a demo as a colleague has Serato.
    Once I have Traktor installed I'll try and catch up with him and record a few samples from both.

3. fella

fella NI Product Owner

At this moment SSL's keylock is better, no artifacts or glitches.
    Sound quality is just under Cdj 1000mk2 on a good notebook.
    You can scratch and juggle with it, no problem.

Traktor's keylock can give artifacts sometimes when in Psola or Phase voc. mode, but just for beatmixing you can work with it, but it shure can be bettered. Let's hope N.I. is working on that.

4. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

Cheers for the info fella, what mode would you recommend for beatmixing house?
    I guess I'm getting lazy in my old age with my CDJs, I like to drop a track in and use the pitch/tempo fader like I used to on my 1210s rather than jogging/pinching the platter.
    When I'm mixing r&b/hiphop I doubt I'll be that bothered about key lock.

As you say, fingers crossed the key lock is something N.I. will look to improve in a future release/update.

5. fella

fella NI Product Owner

I see you are planning to use TS on a MSI wind notebook.
    Personnally I think the specs are a bit low for TS, but I'll hope it works fine.(remember, a 1.6 intel atom cpu is not the same as a 1.6 duo 2 dual core)

Set keylock on Psola when only using the pitch slider, when you use the platter alot, turn keylock off.

good luck.

6. Jard

Jard Forum Member

everybody is raving about the master tempo on a cdj. i own a cdj 1000 mk 3 and a much older denon dns 5000 and the keylock feature on that is just as good as the master tempo on the pio. i have to agree playing on the traktor 3 demo i was not overly impressed with the keylock, havin said that tho this may be due to the demo or my machine being slightly dated

7. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

I didn't plan to get Traktor (or Serato) but having bought the netbook and then found this thread... http://forums.msiwind.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2591

Thanks for the advice on the key lock.

8. discobald

discobald Forum Member

Looking forward to it!

9. fella

fella NI Product Owner

There you go;)
    Works with both systems I see.
    I'm curious wich system you choose, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

10. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

I ordered Traktor based upon...
    a) I thought it was the original timecode product (after Final Scratch anyway) and Serato was a cheap copy, haha. Guess I was going on the "you get what you pay for" thing.
    b) Having tried Serato on a colleagues laptop and not been impressed, but I've now sorted his latency settings for him. Doh!
    b) That MSI Wind forum thread, the fact I could scale / hide the layout as required
    c) Student Discount price for Traktor was less than Serato

I didn't discover this key lock concern thread till after I'd placed my order.
    Delivery was attempted today, probably won't get time to install and set it up now until Sunday. :(

11. fella

fella NI Product Owner

Let us know how it works on your system.
    Happy spinning.

12. chilly

chilly Returning Customer

Are you talking about Traktor or Traktor Scratch? Sorry, just a bit confused. :)

13. RockyD

RockyD NI Product Owner

Why are you confused?
    I'm referring to Serato and posting in the Traktor Scratch forum.

14. richardcuellar

richardcuellar New Member

Serato Master tempo kills TS i have both systems and i just simply cant use TS. For now i am using Serato.

Native need to set up the game!

Mr.Cuellar

15. rpn

rpn New Member

for me its a little problem too..
    the only thing to make it sound better is to increase latency a little. now im using 5.5ms and its almost fine. ( on Phase Voc.)
    also try to clean your vinyl ;)

is Scratch PRO's key lock better?

16. rpn

rpn New Member

hmm my mistake - Im afraid it's still crappy..
    it didnt help much. any ideas?

17. StitchX

StitchX New Member

This thread does solve some basic config options that make stretching sound better.

Yet its still sounds bad. The sound is softened, and sounds maybe a bit more hollow. I only use it from -1 to +1 but still it has too many artifacts.

Acid pro 7 has a better one, and there are also better ones on the market.

Just my notice :) hopefully it will be improved in the next version / update.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  18. KRAK ONE

KRAK ONE Forum Member

agreed, I played with a buddy's serato a year ago and it was absolutely flawless. Especially when cueing/scratching... It's a mess that NI can't sort it out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.