Kompakt as Standalone on seperate computers?

Discussion in 'KOMPAKT' started by wham5, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wham5

wham5 New Member

Hi Group Can I set up Kompakt an an iBook via MIDI with a G4 with Digital Performer? Thanks.

2. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do and what machines you're using? I think what you're wanting is possible, but I'm confused as to what you're trying to do.

3. wham5

wham5 New Member

I would like to use Kompakt on my iBook via MIDI with my G4 w/ Digital performer. I currently installed Kompakt on the iBook and Have the G4 using FreeMIDI with a Midi Express XT with a Midiman 2x2 for the iBook. I haven't actually tried it out yet. Does this sound like it will work? I am going to try tonight. Thanks

4. David Das

So you have two computers -- a G4 and an iBook. The G4 is running DP and is your main recording machine. You want to use the iBook basically as a sound module, running Kompakt. Am I summarizing this right?

Sure, you can do that. You would need an audio and MIDI interface on both machines. Then you'd just cross connect them -- i.e. MIDI out from the G4 to MIDI in of the iBook. Audio out of the iBook to audio in of the G4.

Set up your FreeMIDI configuration in the G4 to show one extra custom device: the iBook.

5. wham5

wham5 New Member

Thanks

Thanks Tonight I will give it a try. Thanks Again!

6. wham5

wham5 New Member

Giltches.

I have tried this setup, but for one thing my midiman 2x2 does not show up in the Midi setup (iBook) so it is not recieving any midi signal. Here is what I've got setup.
    G4 (400mhz, 768 RAM) w/ motu express XT free midi with the ibook on channel 5,
    iBook w/ USB midiman OUT going to IN channel 5 on Motu XT , IN going to OUT channel 5 on XT.
    Am I missing something besides not being able to see the midiman in Midi setup in Kompakt on the iBook?
    Also I think I need to allocate more Ram to Kompakt an forget how to do so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank in advance
    PS why doesn't my M-Audio card show up for Audio out in Audio setup of Kompakt.

7. David Das

Are the machines in OS 9 or OS X? The setup process is different for each.

8. wham5

wham5 New Member

Sorry for the delay the server was down last night. I am working on OS 9.2 on both machines (awaiting OSX compatability for Kompakt and some other virtual synths). the midiman 2x2 does not show up in the midi setup within kompakt. should it? the reason why I wanted to set things up on different computers is to free up CPU power and RAM.When I use Kompakt on the same G4 Kompakt doesn't play back midi. It will record the audio in real time but I would like to be able to edit the midi data before rendering to audio. Kompakt does not show up in my midi drop down menu in DP should it? Should I try using kompakt as a VST instrument? Sorry for the barage of questions but I am brand new to Native instruments and I am excited about the posibilities.Thank you for your time and efforts.

9. David Das

The reason is because Kompakt doesn't support FreeMIDI, only OMS. So you will have problems getting MIDI to it. Your options are: (1) install OMS on your system, or (2) use Kompakt VST. I've tried it both ways.

Using (1), Kompakt standalone will work fine, but there's no way to pipe the audio into DP.

Using (2), Kompakt VST works fairly well although you might see some graphic glitches. But the plug-in works fine and you'll be able to send the audio into a DP audio track to record it. This requires owning VST Wrapper though (audioease.com).

10. wham5

wham5 New Member

WOW everytime I have tried to respond I get the server down. Ok 3 questions:
    1. If I use OMS on the iBook It will work?
    2. Why is there no way of piping the audio to the G4 w/ DP?
    3. Will all this be a mute point when Kompakt goes OSX and if so do you know of an approximate release date? Thanks for all of your help.

11. David Das

1. Yes, you will NEED OMS on the iBook, as Kompakt (in its standalone version) will only respond to OMS MIDI. This does not apply if you decide to use it as a VST plug-in.

2. To pipe the audio back to the G4, you would need some kind of audio interface on the iBook, and connect its output to the G4's audio input.

3. Yes, it will largely be a moot point when Kompakt goes OS X. Expected release date: very soon. In OS X, you can use Kompakt as an AU plug-in within any host -- that's the easiest way to get audio from Kompakt into the sequencer.

12. wham5

wham5 New Member

Thanks,
    I think I'll just use Kompakt on the same computer for now but
    will I be able to use Kompakt as a standalone via Audio Units In OSX ?
    Thanks again you have been most helpful.

13. Cydonia

Cydonia Forum Member

About using two computers, one for sequencing and one for standalone version of Kompakt, wouldnt midi sequencing like that have a lot of latency?

14. David Das

Not if you keep your buffers low. It's just like using a traditional MIDI module, which is, after all, a mini-computer with MIDI and audio in and out. :)

15. Cydonia

Cydonia Forum Member

well I think you'd get lower latency if you were using a hardware midi setup of hardware sequencer and hardware sampler than you would using Kompakt on one pc and a sequencer on another? has anyone tried this?

16. David Das

Well, not necessarily. Hardware MIDI modules can be notoriously inaccurate about timing. Of course it varies from module to module, but if you think about it, all they are are computers in a rack.

With low buffers in a dedicated computer for softsynths, you can achieve latency so low as to rival or equal hardware modules.

Testing? Sure. I use such a setup every day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.