Komplete in Ethernet NAS

Discussion in 'Computer Technology and Setup' started by donuts, Jan 15, 2018.

1. donuts

donuts New Member

I'm interested in use the sound libraries of the Komplete Ultimate by gigabit ethernet external HD, specifically I want to install the libraries on a NAS (Sinology or Qnap) using its ethernet. I don't know if it is possible or not, but if It could be I would be interested in knowing what features the NAS should have.

Thanks in advance.

2. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

I fear even if it would work, even using the fastest NAS will be too slow, because Gibabit Ethernet is only around 125 MB/s, which is horribly slow for Komplete.
    That's why I have everything installed on the internal SSD of my Macbook Pro for best performance, that means around 720 MB/s read speed.

3. donuts

donuts New Member

Ok, I can se... I think I haven't read rightly the transfer rate speed of Gigabit.

By the moment I'll continue using an external FW800 HD I have, becouse I want to share it with two different Mac, that's why I do not do an internal installation.

The worst problem is that my sound card is FW400...... half speed
    : /

Thanks.

4. Aymara

Aymara NI Product Owner

Time for a new Mac as it seems ;)

I will have issues regarding SSD space, when migrating from K10U to K11U, so I bought a LaCie Thunderbolt Rugged with HDD, opened it and replaced the HDD with a 500 GB SSD ... "cheap" high speed solution (around 450 MB/s), if you have Thunderbolt and/or USB 3.0 ... this external disk can do both. I put the original 1TB HDD into a USB 3.0 housing and use it for backups.

My plan is to still use it with my Macbook Pro and maybe later with a future iMac too ... one external disk for two Macs ... should theoretically work, when only placing the huge libraries on the external disk.