Kontakt can never find my libraries (nkrs) when I open friend's project

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by rikkirivett, Jul 8, 2019.

1. rikkirivett

rikkirivett NI Product Owner

This is such a Timewaster, I wish there might be a solution?

For my own libraries, Batch Resave means Kontakt has referenced the libraries to my hard drives and opens my projects fast. But when I open my friend's project -which uses exactly the same libraries as I have- Kontakt becomes "blind" and needs me to point to the .nkrs - and sometimes even to the samples- before it can load them. This is very frustrating. And it happens every time I open a new project from my friend. I assume Kontakt saves the library location of his drives with the song, which is why my friends project doesn't "know" where to look when I open it on my workstation.

Is there a solution please?

Thanks!!

RR

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

This is unfortunately always going to be the case for non-Kontakt Player encoded libraries.

3. David Das

David Das Moderator Moderator

Are you saving with absolute sample paths? If so, re-save without that option.

4. EvilDragon

That won't help with non-KP libraries because I'm pretty sure even when using relative paths when saving NKIs, his friend's and his computers don't have the exact same paths to their libraries.

5. David Das

Unless I'm misunderstanding him, saving with relative paths should remove the problem of changing drive names. Any self-contained library should just work.

I'm not clear on whether he might be physically moving his sample drives from computer to computer.

6. EvilDragon

It won't after you save the DAW project, because Kontakt's plugin chunk will use the absolute paths to the libraries regardless.

Only Kontakt Player libraries work in this scenario, because they refer to the library path stored in registry/plist. This is not possible for self-contained non-KP libraries.

Well, I didn't test what happens if you put the non-KP library path to Kontakt's database, maybe it works then, dunno.

7. David Das

Oh yes, true. I was thinking of it more in terms of setting up the libraries, not the later stages of recalling them from within projects.

8. EvilDragon

Yeah OP has the problem with recalling them from within projects - he's exchanging DAW projects with his friend, at least that's my understanding.

9. rikkirivett

rikkirivett NI Product Owner

Thanks a lot for the input ED & DD both!

I haven't been resaving anything within Kontakt, I only save the Logic Project, so I'm not sure whether the Saving settings are significant. If I click on the "save Multi" dialogue I see that Absolute Sample Paths is ticked. But even if I did resave, as you'll see below, I get the problem all over again with every new project from my friend.

For these projects we're using mostly KP-encoded libraries (Samplelogic, Output, Heavyocity, NI, etc). If I resave the project -after having pointed to all the .nkrs, samples, etc -whatever Kontakt needs to find- then next time I open that particular project all is well, no problems.

My friend and I are working together scoring a long-running TV series and he does every single scene to picture with a separate Logic ProX song. For every new song, I have to go through the sloooow process of pointing Kontakt to all the correct locations and this puts a huge brake on my workflow.

I assume the problem is that -as EvilDragon says- "Kontakt Player libraries refer to the library path stored in registry/plist" but on a SONG basis, not on a workstation / installation basis. If that's the case, couldn't it be possible to make Kontakt a little "smarter" so it could be "aware" of the local path?

Thanks for any brainstorming!!

Best, RR

10. DarkStar

DarkStar NI Product Owner

Just an Idea - what about getting your friend to save a Kontakt Multi and you load that into Kontakt? I think that the Multi will still have the relative paths..

And, of course, you save a Multi and he/she loads it.

11. EvilDragon

Never have that ticked. Won't help you in this particular issue, but just... don't have that ticked.

No that's not the case. Kontakt Player libraries always have path to the folder where they're installed stored in registry/plist, so it doesn't matter from which computer the DAW project is, it will work, because it will refer to local install path stored in registry/plist. However, if a DAW project is using some libraries that are NOT Kontakt Player encoded, in case of opening that DAW project on another computer, those libraries will always ask for samples because they don't know where they are (because for non-KP libraries, there's no such thing as registry/plist entries that store the path to it).

TBH I'm not sure what's going wrong there. I'm opening DAW projects (Reaper) from my desktop on my laptop just fine - same KP libraries, but different paths to them between the two computers...