1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Kontakt crashing constantly!!

Discussion in 'Technical Issues - KOMPLETE (Archive)' started by Steffanmichael1, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Steffanmichael1

Steffanmichael1 Forum Member

I am crashing a ton!! if I load more than 1 nki, I crash. I died it in stand alone also, same thing. I opened the report and it said this, "Heap corruption detected, free list canary is damaged".

Does anyone know how to deal with this issue?? Its on OS 10.9., 12core mac pro, Kontakt version 5.3
    Please help, I can't work

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

There have been several threads on K5.3 crashes on Mavericks... all you can do is wait for an update.

3. Steffanmichael1

I read them. Hopefully the more people complain about this, the more they realize how many peoples work is being affected by this bug. There's only 2 options, do an install of 10.8 a reinstall EVERYTHING all over again or, not use my new computer and wait for Native Instruments to figure this out.

4. EvilDragon

NI is on the case already for quite some time.

5. Steffanmichael1

If they've been on the issue for a while, and maybe they have already, but it would be nice if they let us all know what the issue exactly is so maybe we could work around it for the time being

6. EvilDragon

7. aspsa

aspsa NI Product Owner

Greetings. I realize the Kontakt 5 crashing challenge has been report here. However, the following scenario that caused it to crash on my system may be of some help. Perhaps the NI folks can replicate my setup as a test case. As an Ableton Live 9 user, I sent a "crash report" to Ableton, although this thread confirms that the problem is with the Kontakt 5 plug-in. Any way here is the background information I sent to Ableton that describes the scenario under which Kontakt 5 crashed on my system.

Ableton Live 9.1.1 reports the following in the "Report a Crash in a Plug-In" pane:

"The crash data from the system suggests that the problem may be related to this VST plug-in:
    Kontakt 5 (version )"

Some useful background:

I created a Kontakt 5 Mixer with the following configuration:

(8) mono channels
    (4) pairs of stereo channels (i.e., Aux 1-4)

I set up an Ableton Live 9 set with two Track Groups. The first Track Group contained (8) tracks configured as follows:

Track 1: The Kontakt 5 VST plug-in. A Live Utility audio effect in its "mono" preset.

Track 2: A Live External Instrument with its "MIDI to" pointing to the Kontakt 5 instance on MIDI Ch 01. The "Audio from" points to the Kontakt 5 instance's Mixer Output 2. A Live Utility audio effect placed in the Track chain with its "mono" preset selected.

Tracks 3-8: Same as the Track 2 configuration, adjusted for the proper "Audio from" pointers.

Note, I deliberately chose to set the External Instrument's "MIDI to" to Ch 01 on Tracks 1-8. I did this because the Kontakt 5 instance for this example contains a single drum kit in a single Kontakt 5 Instrument, with its output set to the first Kontakt 5 Mixer Channel 1's monophonic output. The purpose of this example was to test Kontakt 5's routing configuration, whereby individual drum sounds (configured as "Groups" in the Kontakt 5 Instrument that I used) are sent to monophonic Kontakt 5 Mixer Channels 1-8. Each Group in the Kontakt 5 Instrument was panned to the left. Since Ableton Live 9 is incapable of creating a true monophonic track, the prescribed workaround is to place a Utility audio effect on an Ableton Live 9 Track and sum its stereo content to mono (i.e., the "mono" preset).

The second Live 9 Track Group was configured with four Live Audio Tracks, each within its Monitor Input set to "In", receiving the appropriate audio output from the Kontakt 5 VST instance. This second Live 9 Track Group served to return each Kontakt 5 Mixer Aux stereo channel separately to each Track in the second Live 9 Track Group.

The intent of this setup was two-fold:

1. Provide as much flexibility as possible to treat each drum sound and its corresponding effect.

2. Reduce the number of Kontakt 5 instances in a Live 9 set.

The Kontakt 5 "Street Knowledge Kit" Instrument (in the Kontakt 5 Factory Library) that used in this example has 25 Groups. If I wanted to build in the greatest level of flexibility for this Kontakt 5 Instrument, I would create a Kontakt 5 MuliInstrument with 4 instances of the "Street Knowledge Kit" Instruments, each Instrument on its own MIDI channel. The fourth Kontakt 5 Instrument would have a single Group assigned to it, namely the 25th Group of the Instrument. However, I would have the flexibility to individually process every Group and every Aux channel separately in a Live 9 session. As you will see later, I created an alternate setup that utilized only four pairs of Kontakt 5 Mixer outputs. In this alternate setup, I would require seven instances of the "Street Knowledge Kit" Instrument in the Kontakt 5 MultiInstrument in order to achieve the same end. By the way, while the Kontakt 5 Application Reference states that Kontakt 5 is capable of producing 32 outputs (e.g., 16 stereo channels), I have yet been able to utilize 32 outputs. I seem to be limited to 16 outputs. Perhaps I am doing something wrong, or maybe Kontakt 5 is simply acting strange once the 16-output threshold is reached.

I configured the snare drum, closed hi hat, and opened hi hat Kontakt 5 Groups such that their Group InsertFX chains each contained a slot having a "Sends Level" module. The Kontakt 5 Instrument's SendFX component had four slots filled. The mapping between the Group InsertFXs and the Instrument SendFXs follows:

Snare Drum Group InsertFX -> Convolution Reverb
    Closed Hi Hat Group InsertFX -> Chorus
    Opened Hi Hat Group InsertFX -> Flanger

The Instrument SendFX Returns were routed to the Kontakt 5 Mixer outputs as follows:

Convolution Reverb -> Aux 1
    Chorus -> Aux 2
    Flanger -> Aux 3

No matter how many times I rebuilt this configuration, Live crashed and revealed a modal dialog box with "Konkakt 5" in the title bar that reported a memory corruption error. As you will see in the crash report ".alp" file (sent to Ableton and not contained in this post to the NI forum), my system has 16 GB of RAM, and ample RAM was available at the time of the crash.

I created another Kontakt 5 configuration with the same Kontakt 5 Instrument and the same FX routing to the Kontakt 5 Mixer outputs. The only difference is that I created a Kontakt 5 Mixer containing four pairs of stereo channels. The aforementioned Kontakt 5 Instrument's bass, snare, closed hi hat, and opened hi hat Groups were panned center and routed, respectively, to the Ch 1/2, Ch 3/4, Ch 5/6, and Ch 7/8 Kontakt 5 Mixer output stereo channels. This configuration appears to be stable thus far; it does not crash Ableton Live 9.

Incidentally, I did not have an opportunity yet to test this with the standalone version of Kontakt 5.

Kindly advise on your analysis of this crash.

8. Steffanmichael1

So I just updated to OS 10.9.2 and everything seems to be loading up like it should so far. I'll keep this up thread updated if I run into the same issues

9. antontwoam

antontwoam NI Product Owner

10. MoisiePants

MoisiePants New Member

If they're aware of the problem, then the least they could do would be to update their compatibility statement to help prevent even more people from crashing into this brick wall...

11. matde007

matde007 New Member

Same system, same problem.Especially when I load bigger libraries of other producers but NI into Kontakt.

Kontakt standalone: Kontakt crashes
    Logic Pro X and Kontakt: both crash
    Pro Tools 11 and Kontakt: total system freeze... computer has to be rebooted.

Since I'm using a lot of Kontakt libraries, my music production came almost to a standstill.

12. Joe Salamon

Joe Salamon New Member

I've been having the heap corruption error now since November 2013. There's also a sound quality problem in Kontakt 5. Kontakt 5 crashes constantly with Logic Pro 9 and Logic Pro X also Ableton Live Suite 9 and maybe others. Standalone mode crashes just as much as the plug-in. I've completely removed all instances of Native Instruments software from my system (Mac) and re-installed clean from Komplete 7 thru Komplete 9 along with all the updates on a new hard drive. Exact same issue and just as many crashes as before the clean install. A couple emails from support suggested that it's Apples fault or whoever else's fault except of course NI. This problem is a total corruption of workflow. The problem with the sound quality started when I realised that Alicia Keys software sounded pretty bad when played by Kontakt 5 but the samples are impeccable. So I auto-sampled them enabling to bypass NI Kontakt, what a difference!. Also, Stretch That Note has a superb sub bass instrument called L.E.W.D. but that instrument will click when played through Kontakt 5. All These issues are known by Native Instruments but they don't seem to want to support their current customer base. It is common courtesy in my opinion to respond to problems especially when people pay a lot of money for their software. It seems that NI puts out a lot of new stuff but takes a back seat to repairing the stuff that doesn't work correctly.

13. MoisiePants

MoisiePants New Member

Hello:

A workaround for Kontakt 5 crashing in OS X 10.9 Mavericks has been posted:

http://mad.ly/a25794

Hope that helps!

14. xgman

xgman NI Product Owner

"Curiously the issue appeared to only arise when using a multichannel audio interface - either with the standalone application, or as a plug-in inside a sequencing host such as Logic Pro X."

Hooked up to an AI that happens to have multi channel, or actually using the multichannel feature in Kontakt? Because it certainly is NOT ONLY happening just using the multichannel feature in Kontakt.

And these instructions are so vague I don't understand what they are getting at:

"▪ Instead of launching Kontakt or the host sequencer as normal, Control-click on the application and choose Show Package Contents;
    ▪ Inside the resulting window, go to Contents > MacOS > then double-click on the application name (which will only show as a black ‘exec’ icon);
    ▪ The application will now launch as normal."

Using this method, you have to leave the terminal window open or it closes the app. Not sure what is different about this method operationally. I'll have to test it more extensively to see if it stops the crashing.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  15. aspsa

aspsa NI Product Owner

Thank you for the link: http://mad.ly/a25794.

Unfortunately, while this temporary workaround may be sufficient for resolving Kontakt 5's crashing in standalone mode, this still impedes one's workflow with respect to utilizing Kontakt 5 within a host environment. I guess we'll have to wait for v5.3.1. Yet, it's good to know a fix is in the works, so again, thanks.

16. nielsdolieslager

nielsdolieslager NI Product Owner

Third option: install Kontakt 5 and your instruments on a supported system (Mountain Lion, Windows 7) and use it via Vienna Ensemble Pro.

17. MoisiePants

MoisiePants New Member

This workaround does work for me in Logic Pro X 10.0.6 - you apply the same principle to the Logic Pro X application - Show Package Contents, etc... instead of to the Kontakt application.

Hope that helps.

18. xgman

xgman NI Product Owner

When you load apps this way, you get to see any and all errors that show in the terminal. Good way to clean up some other issues too. I'm not quite sure what is going on with this workaround vs normal to help with the crashes. It's just hard to remember to use it in Logic. I created some aliases to make it easier. Hopefully NI will update soon to fix this.

19. aspsa

aspsa NI Product Owner

The issue is not whether this workaround functions (it seems to work with Ableton Live 9.1) but if it impedes one's workflow. Of course, one can justifiably argue that Kontakt's endless crashing itself impedes one's workflow... smile... In any event, I will give it another try when I return to my system. After I have a better feel for this workaround, I may discover that it will serve as a viable alternate until such time that an improved, non-endlessly-crashing Kontakt version is released. Well, maybe the "non-endlessly-crashing Kontakt version" jab is a bit much. Regardless of its instability, the Kontakt platform is highly impressive.

Thanks again for the link.

20. matde007

matde007 New Member

Kontakt has been updated to 5.3.1. I downloaded it yesterday from the Service Center. Seems to work!