Kontakt Player 6 - Prehear?

Discussion in 'Third-Party Sample Libraries' started by Dean Papoutsis, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Dean Papoutsis

Dean Papoutsis New Member

Is it possible to "browse" ("prehear") sounds which appear in the Maschine (Studio) Kontakt Player 6 plug-in? Either by scrolling thru the file name in the software on my monitor with the arrow keys on my typing keyboard, or by using the Maschine hardware browse function with rotary dial?

Can't seem to do this with either 100% NI instruments or third-party instruments such as Convolution Space (Best Service) on my Mac. Must I "load" each instrument sound file manually each time to hear/audition it?

2. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

For the NI instruments/libraries have you downloaded and installed the "Previews" through native access? That would have previews for Maschine Presets and allow you to "Prehear" them. (make sure that "Prehear" is engaged at the bottom left of Maschine). As for 3rd party Libraries, They would need to be provided by the Third Party developer along with any NKS presets and it appears Convolution Space is not NKS ready/Compatible or at least it was not mentioned on the site. And so you know, these Previews are separate audio files created for the actual presets.

Hope that helps!

Peace,

Blindeddie

3. Dean Papoutsis

Thank you Blindeddie for your fast reply!

If I understand all the Maschine-speak terminology :rolleyes: . . . I am able to prehear all that appears in the Library of Maschine and I've used Native Access to do all updates I can see.

Let me try to give a single, very specific example with a file upload pic. I'll stick with NI products only for the example. If I pull up Vintage Organs in the Library--it appears to bring up a single alphabetized list of instruments. And I can scroll thru these files using either the software or hardware to prehear them. Great.

Now, if I ignore the Library, and only open the Kontakt Player, I navigate to Vintage Organs within Kontakt and firstly, it presents the same sounds in folders labeled 1-9. This is different than how the Library presents the instruments. Then If I open one of these subfolders, say 2-Jazz, I get a list which is a sub list of the huge, master list which appeared in the Library. So if I am working within Kontakt, and I want to prehear the sounds, as listed in the 2-Jazz folder of Kontakt, can I do this? It appears I can not scroll and prehear thru the Kontakt list using the software or hardware. The only way to prehear them, appears to be to "load" each one in the Kontakt Player and tap a key on my midi keyboard. Does the Kontakt Player not have its own "prehear" so that as Kontakt lists the instruments, you can prehear them in the order appearing in the Kontakt Player? The prehear sound files are already in Maschine format--or I would not be able to prehear them when working strictly in the Library. Am I missing something? Thanks so much. Dean. Prehear Library vs Kontakt.jpg

4. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

Will answer/comment the best I can as I see a lot of question marks...Ha!

Yes, the way Kontak handles instruments is not the same as Maschine. Maschine presets are basically just pointers to Instruments that are already loaded in Kontakt and loaded within Maschine. So someone (NI) has basically gone in and created a Maschine Preset for each of the NKI files.

The answer would be No, Kontakt Player (or full version) does not have a prehear function, in order to hear the instrument, you must load it into Kontakt.

The Maschine Prehear/Preview files are just .OGG audio files of recordings of the instruments and only Maschine has the capability to use them.

Keep in Mind, Maschine and Kontakt are two completely different beasts, They do not contain all the same functionality as Kotakt is just a Sample Player.

Hope that helps clarify, I know its a lot to soak up.

Peace,

Blindeddie!

5. Dean Papoutsis

Wow, learned a lot from your reply Blindeddie—thank you, thank you. Have a great weekend. Will reread this many more times to absorb all this. Really interesting . . .