1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Kontakt resource hungry?

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by dorism, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorism

dorism NI Product Owner

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem?... after I've loaded more than 5-6 intruments in Kontakt I find the CPU meter in Sonar jumps around a lot, even though nothing is playing back! It peaks at 40-50% and when playback starts it jumps to 80ish%!!
    i have also reduced the polophony of each instrument to just 2!

Am I missing something here or is Kontakt just v. resource hungry?
    I am only using the sampler module without timestretching etc, and I am not using any effects. My set up is as follows

IBM Netvista P4 1.8GigHz
    768 Mg RAM
    Sonar 2 XL
    Kontakt 1.0.2 Dxi
    40 gig 7500rpm main drive
    60gig IBM deskstar 7800rpm audio drive
    Delta 1010LT

I've run diagnostics on the hardware and everything is OK. It just seems as if Kontakt needs a lot of horsepower to work... anybody else find this?

slanj
    Michael Doris
    www.mp3.com/MichaelDoris

2. manu

manu New Member

Hi Michael,

i also had this problem with Cubase. It appeared as i shortened the latency of my soundcard. Just try to increase the latency a little bit
    and maybe the problem is gone. I normally use the Kontakt for everything. I have 16 channels working with a lot of effects, lfo´s and equalizers. I think your problem doesn´t have to do with the Kontakt. Try to set the PPQ of your system to the same level that your soundcard and system is working with. It is fortunable that you can divide this level by 2 like 256 or 512 etc. I hope i could help you with that.

3. dorism

dorism NI Product Owner

Thanks mana... how do it set PPQ? sorry if this is sounds like a silly question... I'm new to all of this!

slanj
    Michael Doris
    www.mp3.com/MichaelDoris

4. hydrazoan

hydrazoan NI Product Owner

I'm also getting this problem... lots of stuttering if I have more than a few instruments loaded ... might be memory related? no warning message about not enough physical memory though. I'm using a creamware luna II card in XTC mode... so no matter what I'm stuck with the same latency till creamware sort it out...

With cubase sx you can't change the ppq...

5. dorism

dorism NI Product Owner

I wonder if its because it is using the swap file on windows rather than hd streaming? I often get a message saying I'm about to run out of memory (I've got 768mg!!) and I'm wondering if this problem starts after that?

6. hydrazoan

hydrazoan NI Product Owner

That would be my guess... it certainly doesn't use disk streaming for samples... and it appears to get more upset the more you load...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.