1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Lenovo Ideapad Yoga - Tablet DJing

Discussion in 'TRAKTOR PRO / TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO' started by RomanSeoul, Oct 31, 2013.

1. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

Hello Traktor gurus! I'm thinking about updating my setup because I foresee a lot or travel in my future. Anyway, I'm quite intrigued by the notion of having an ultra-portable, tablet based PC as the center of my DJ world. Having used Smithson-Martin's Emulator software extensively, I know that would be a control interface to use with my timecode setup.

My questions arise in computing requirements. I am looking into getting a new Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11S (advertised here: http://bit.ly/1dtElX4). It sports a 4th-gen Intel Core i5 processor running at 1.4GHz (with Turbo Boost up to 1.9GHz). My research points to the model number as being i5-4210Y. With NI saying the Traktor Scratch Pro's requirements are a 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo, I am not sure if that requirement is based on clock speed alone. In another thread, someone mentioned that Traktor was working just fine on a Microsoft Surface Pro; and that was with a 3rd-gen Core i5 running at 1.7GHz. Soooooo, what do you think?

2. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

i like the idea of the yoga (i'm interested in convertibles ever since), but am leaning personally more to the asus taichi.
    anyways - current traktor versions (except the iOS version "traktor dj" for the ipad - sadly only for the ipad) are simply not made for touch displays. you wont find yourself doing much on the screen ATM.

still, i love the idea and my next laptop will be either the yoga or the taichi from my today's point of view (probably there will be other amazing models until i have saved up enough money).

3. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

Thank you for your input as always, Ms. Freshfluke! Traktor not being touch-screen friendly isn't a big issue to me. I mostly use timecode CD and a controller for FX, so my use of the actual Traktor interface would be minimal during a set. But if I did want to do more with the computer, I would use the Emulator software to control Traktor. I used it with the giant touch-screen during some performances and it easily scales down to smaller screens as well.

I'm pretty set on the idea that this system will work for me. It just that I need to know if Traktor would work on that particular processor. If it does, then the Yoga would be perfect and I'd buy it when I can. Otherwise, I would keep looking for something suitable. I'm aching to accomplish this! :p

4. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

The processor is fine if that's what you're worried about.

5. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

That's certainly good to hear! But I'm curious to know what makes you say that. Have you tested Traktor on any sub-2.0GHz laptops? Pardon me if I sound overly cautious; I just want to make sure I buy the right thing in the short time I'll be back home in the U.S. Once again, I appreciate any input :)

6. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

Traktor does not require a certain clock speed to function. The 2GHz Core2Duo spec is just a benchmark to compare against.

The i5-4210Y is significantly more powerful than a 2GHz C2D so there shouldn't be any CPU problems with Traktor.

7. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

Great, then I'll probably go ahead with the purchase and let you know how it goes! Thank you again for all your help :)

8. makar1

makar1 Forum Member

As with any Windows laptop, you may need to go through some optimisation guides to get decent performance.

9. holdened

holdened New Member

So how is the Lenovo Yoga 11s with the 4th gen i7 doing for DJing for you? any lags or hiccups? Is everything smooth even with 4 deck mixing and loops/effects going on? Because I am highly interested in buying one of these. They look great and small and are quite powerful to run Traktor I feel. I will having this as my main go to laptop at work for surfing/photography/DJing at small house parties.

10. XMan714

XMan714 NI Product Owner

PassMark is a good web site that benchmarks Intel processors. Use this as a guide to choosing a pc. Compare the 2 GHz Core2Duo processor against most current Intel processors and you'll see that they should do fine.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

11. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

I intended to jump back on here sooner, but I wanted to do more testing. So far, the Yoga 11S is great! All of you who conributed are awesome and most importantly, correct! This computer outperforms the other on many levels. Just to note, it's a Core i5, not an i7 :)

The big test for me was Traktor's macro-effects, and the Yoga seems to do well even with multiple macro effects running at the same time. I haven't had any conflicts with using devices in the USB 3.0 port. When the power settings are set to high-performance (I have a custom "DJ Power Plan"), track analysis times are quite brisk. I've noticed Traktor 2 struggles with other power plans (like "Balanced"), but the high-performance does well. I always recommend AC power, but I'm confident that I can pull a CPU-intensive 2-hour (or longer) set out of this with a full charge. Further, the Smithson Martin's Emulator software runs well, too. However, I do have issues with it that should be resolved with future updates. Nonetheless, performance is alll goood.

That benchmark site was exacly what I used in my research, I'd suggest it to others. I haven't done any 4-deck mixing on it, but I'd imagine there's not much room for it on the screen. I suppose you could make it work as long as you don't need to see fancy scrolling waveforms 'n seeuch.

All that said, I'm quite happy about my purchase. I now have a powerful and super portable DJ solution that I can use stand-alone or as part of a more elaborate rig. I'm gonna take this back to Korea and blow their minds! I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions! Also, I changed up an Emulator template that works well the Yoga- just let me know if anybody wants it :D

P.S. OOoooo, now I get to change my signature!

12. holdened

holdened New Member

Thanks for your input. I was going to buy the i5 too as its way cheaper. Does the native 1368x768 resolution affect you at all for Traktor and other aspects of using the laptop?

13. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

I didn't know there was an i7 for the Yoga 11S, Lenovo's website is still sporting 3rd generation Core processors. I got mine at Best Buy because they had the 4th-gen ones. Are you seeing any Yoga's with 4th-gen Core i7s?

As for the resolution, I will admit that it can get a bit tight. If you need to see a lot at once, and big enough to your fitting, then I would suggest one of the 13" Yogas. Those I know they offer in Core i7- and in orange! Keep in mind that the resolution on the Yogo 2 is ridiculously high (3200x1800), so Traktor might even appear too small unless scale it down.

But, if you really just need that power with that small form factor, then 11S all the way. One other thing to keep in mind: Traktor alone is NOT nice with touch screens. Even moving a simple volume fader is difficult. For that reason, I would advise using Traktor with hardware controllers for sure. Otherwise, I would have to suggest running Emulator on top of Traktor. Emulator makes DJing with a touch screen even easier then using a mouse and resolution not a problem at all.

14. holdened

holdened New Member

Yes there is an i7 if I'm not wrong. The 4th generation seems to be only available at best buy or futureshop from Canada. I have to ask from the store tomorrow. I use Traktor with my Traktor S4 midi controller so I guess I don't really need to have much use for the touchscreen but screen space would be nice though 11 inch screen would be borderline tight but I think its still manageable. I don't need to see huge waveforms all the time. Yes the 13 yoga2 is 3200x1800 which is HUGE and battery drainer so I guess the 11s would be the better one to go. Besides its easy to hold as a tablet too.

I guess the 11s is powerful enough to run ableton as well? Maybe the screen space wouldn't be so optimal for this case.

How's your DJing with the 11s? Do you have any external controller or you just using the touchscreen emulator you were saying?

15. NikLP

NikLP New Member

FYI I'm using TP2.6.7 on a Lenovo Thinkpad X61, which only has a 1024 x 768 screen. Whilst this is hardly optimal, I don't really struggle with screen space or power. And it's small too, and cost about 160 dollarpounds, after I replaced the fan & battery and put an SSD in. I ease this by using a FaderFox DJ3 and a Traktor Audio 2 velcro'd to the back of the screen. Very small setup. Love it :)

16. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

Oh snap, if you're using an S4 then the 11s would be go absolutely great with it. Since you're not manipulating the screen so much, the screen space is not so much an issue at all. I'm not so sure about running Ableton Live, but Traktor will surely perform well. I haven't been able to do much with a controller, but I did hook up my Audio8 and Kontrol X1 and used timecode vinyl- i performed flawlessly. I also used Emulator on top of it, too. Really, there isn't anything DJing-wise that this computer can't do (as of my tests so far). As for future gigs and performances, I will just use whatever equipment is available to me.

17. holdened

holdened New Member

Thanks dude! Might just get it when I go to BestBuy the next time!

18. djivobutnot

djivobutnot NI Product Owner

RomanSeoul, thanks for all the info. Very soon I am going your way, but I will buy the new 13s. Can I ask you a favor? Post a screen shot of your Emulator screen working over Traktor, I want to have a good idea how it looks on a 11 inches screen. Thanks in advance!

19. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

btw, i bought a 2nd hand asus taichi for ridiculous few bucks and it simply worked out of the box with traktor.

20. RomanSeoul

RomanSeoul Forum Member

Hey everyone! I just had my first gig my little rig here. It went off without a hitch, I can't believe I was so worried! :p I used both an Kontrol S4 MKII and my old Kontrol X1.

So I started a layout from scratch to use with my X1. It affords me complete FX control (Units 3 & 4) while I can activate and control rates on 1 & 2 on the screen. I'm in the process of revamping the home screen so that I can do loops and flux mode with out any other hardware, but that's a future project. I carried over the FX screen from an old project, but it completely rocks my world. Tell me what you think! Oh, and let me know if you want to use my layout as a template :)

And that Taichi looks awesome, Freshfluke!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1