1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Library updates, Snapshots, and "under the hood" tweaks

Discussion in 'KONTAKT' started by tmpc, Sep 12, 2019.

1. tmpc

tmpc NI Product Owner

Background: I quite often click the wrench and go "under the hood" to tweak settings in a library for a particular piece of music. This can include things like increasing the volume of a particular zone, adding pitch bend, changing entire groups to TM Pro, etc. I do this to protected as well as unprotected libraries. As I work within Plogue Bidule, I simply save the entire Bidule layout and it all comes back, tweaks and all. I DO NOT save any of these tweaks to the actual library.

As a result of this, I haven't been updated these libraries out of fear that they won't reload in my Bidule layouts. But, I now find that I would like to update some of them. My problem is that I don't understand what the pitfalls are here. If I save my tweaks as Snapshots, will they capture these "under the hood" changes? If I save them as nki files will they load into the updated library?

Can anyone explain how this works? I have looked through the Kontakt manual, but it isn't detailed enough. I've tried to search this forum, but its a tough thing to search on.

2. stephen23

stephen23 NI Product Owner

Just save your multi (nkm) or instrument (nki) under a different name. You would be most unwise to modify the original library. To be ultra-safe and ensure you don't use the original name by mistake, always alter the names of the modified instruments/multi in the Kontakt headers before you save them. In addition, Kontakt will warn you if you try to overwrite an existing item (though I believe this safety measure can be switched off)

You don't need to save the samples themselves, even if you are allowed to: your new instruments/multi will read them from the original files without modifying the library.

3. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

One thing is the actual NKI files being updated on your hard drive. Another thing is what was stored in the plugin data chunk in your host (Bidule in this case). You can freely update your libraries without your BIdule layouts breaking, because what Kontakt stores in its plugin data chunk IS the whole NKI, it is not being referenced to the NKI on your hard drive.

4. tmpc

tmpc NI Product Owner

Whoa! Now that's a useful piece of info. So, the only thing that can screw me up in a Bidule reload is a change to the actual sample data. I assume there is no clever way around that . . . or is there?

I know that saving an nki will save these "under the hood" tweaks, but will a Snapshot do the same thing?

Thanks, stephen23. Yeah, that much I know. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2019
  5. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

Usually when libraries are updated and there are some fixes to the samples, they are added to the original sample pool instead of replacing it, so AFAIK in 99.9% cases you should be just fine.

Snapshot only saves group, FX and modulator data, it doesn't save any tweaks to zones.

6. tmpc

tmpc NI Product Owner

Unfortunately, I have a bunch of Spitfire Audio updates, and the ones I looked at with new samples have identical names to existing samples, so they will be replaced. I'm pretty sure there's no way to do this, but is there a way to rename the new samples and get the new nki to use them instead (keeping the old nki and sample, as well)?

Thanks, ED. That's the last piece of info I needed.

7. stephen23

stephen23 NI Product Owner

I have 3 versions of the Spitfire BML Reeds library in 3 subfolders ...1 ...2 ...3. (Surprisingly, some of the samples do seem to be different, though with the same names). After moving them there I loaded up my old Bidule layout and had to point Kontakt to the new location in the requisite subfolder. I then resaved the Kontakt multi (?optional) and the Bidule layout. (Obviously samples are identified by their full path, not just their names)

Works for me, but if you feel unsafe you can always save the layout with a different name, making it possible to reverse the whole thing if necessary.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019